Kids and Knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Ok, Daddies and moms I need your advice! I shamefully have to admit that I am a little of a overprotective parent but fighting it I want to let go and not to control everything. So ......I bought my son a knife so that he can have more fun going with me to the woods. At them moment I suck in letting the kids join in in the fire making etc. Now I got enough of myself and thought that the day has come that I let go ........but……….he could cut his fingers off…. :yikes: :yikes:....I bought him a very sharp knife too and it would be my fault if something happened to him. How did you introduced your kids to their first knife, how can I let go, still protect and teach but not spoiling the fun for him? Shall I only let him cut himself so he can learn?
How did you daddies and moms got it done?

thanks
Abbe

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
My daughter is 9 now. When we go in the wood I let her carry a folding knife that her grandpa carried for a long time. I showed her how to open and close it safely, also not to carve towards herself. If she wants to use it she has to ask first. That rule will come to an end soon as she gains more experience with a knife. My dad gave me my first knife when I was 7 to the great unhappiness of my mom. The same rules that applyed to my daughter applied to me. I cut myself a couple of good times but still have all the fingers. I think in one way cutting ones self is part of learning to use a knife. Keep some first aid supplies handy.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Connor is 12 and has his own arsenal of knives :lol: , a stainless military issue pen knife, crook knife and a Pukko and a i bought him from Stuart and Cindy at the WG last year, i've instructed him and showed him knife safety and clipped his head and taken it off him a few times but he now is very proficiant with it, he has cut himself once lesson learnt, nothing a plaster didn't sort out, i had my first sheath knife when i was about 10, still indoors some where it was a riggers blade with a spike, my dad taught me to sharpen it and to use it and i still have a couple of scars to remind me of a couple of silly mistakes i made, you can lead a horse to water :lol: its all a learning curve i've seen adults do sillier things with knives that i've seen any kid do :shock: :roll: , as long as they keep their elbows on their knees and away from the carotid artery then any minor slips if using good carving cutting techniques are usually a plaster job.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hear, hear!
Teach them it's a tool, an excellent tool if used properly and keep the elastoplast handy (sometimes for over your *own* mouth). Don't buy them crap knives either, but for heaven's sake give them something to do with it or they'll find something that'll annoy you and you'll just take it off them and defeat the purpose of the whole thing.

Toddy

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
I made and gave my kids their first knives when they were 6 and 7 years old. Taught them how to cut and carve by sitting down with them carving "minkepinner", miniature bark boats, and small branch figures and then let go. None of them have ever cut themselves seriously, and the only real cut that I know of, was fixed with a small piece of elastoplast only.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Another sad loss from 'civilization' is this concept of children being some sort of probationary human being. I was in the military getting shot at, but legally couldn't drink, vote or even buy a handgun. The vikings had laws insuring even slaves the right to carry knives, such an essential tool it was to daily life. We make to many things forbidden fruit and then act shocked when kids play with matches or take the family handgun to school :shock:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
All mine have knives and use them quite responsibly - apart from making wood shavings all over the carpet and compulsively stripping the bark off every stick they find! :lol:

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
Hopefully it'll be a long time before I'm a parent but I can tell you I always had a small penknife as a kid and, although I did cut myself many times, I probably wouldn't have been nearly as taken with the outdoors if I hadn't had it! There's also something very famous-five about having a trusty penknife, too, and if anyone knows anything about what's good for kids it's Enid Blighton!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Son had outings a a very early age, started shooting at 4-5, knife at the same, fire a little later. All under supervision but by 10 was on his own except for .22lr
just a thought

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
It's been my experience that the child will tell us when they are ready for such responsibility. Not by words obviously, but by temperament, coordination, maturity, etc. However, the lessons can begin very early in their lives.

My Dad started me at age 2 or so, by sitting me on his knee when he whittled and sanded his latest project. He always talked about proper handling techniques, safety and when he touched up the blade, he'd explain what it was he was doing and why. Of course, I was too young to understand, but the lessons continued whenever he used his knife while we were together and I can still remember them today, over a half a century later.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
In many cases it’s down to the parent. My boy had a sheath knife for his fifth birthday, having the knife had strict rules attached and he stuck to them which has allowed him to learn and become a responsible user of knives. A good practice is to get them helping in the kitchen, meat, veg etc can all be handled by a youngster.

Constant reinforcement of safety, constant reinforcement of focusing on a task and they soon get the message (usually!) On of the main ways children learn is through example, this means that you have to be willing to put in the time to do things properly and unrushed so that the child learns to relax and aim for a quality result.

If they cut themselves they will learn and it’s inevitable that they will, we as adults still cut ourselves, expecting them not to would be a bit unfair. Always have your first aid kit right there, you may never need it but they need to see that you never use a knife without having it close by.

Get a cheap good knife and then if they prove themselves responsible you can consider something better. But don’t get them a rubbish knife, it will just put them off if it can’t cut well and blunts very quickly.

And…!! Don’t expect too much from them, pointy sticks is quite an achievement! :biggthump

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Abbe

My son got his first knife at the age of 5. A firesteel too. knives and fires have very strict rules attached to them but if he doesn't learn how to work with them safely now then when will he learn?

Did you see the Tribe programme with the 2 year old with the parang? Start them early and teach them that these things are tools that need care and respect and they'll carry those lessons forever.

George

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
george said:
Abbe

My son got his first knife at the age of 5. A firesteel too. knives and fires have very strict rules attached to them but if he doesn't learn how to work with them safely now then when will he learn?

Did you see the Tribe programme with the 2 year old with the parang? Start them early and teach them that these things are tools that need care and respect and they'll carry those lessons forever.

George

I am afraid that we cant see it here in sweden, I heard a lot about the programm and would like to see it. Does anyone has it on the computer so I could download it?

cheers
Abbe

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Does anyone has it on the computer so I could download it?
You are unlikely to get an answer on here (the forum)...... as far as I know, no member has legal permission to copy and distribute copyright material of the BBC, we have strict rules here about 'posting links to illegal downloads' ..... its a bannable offence...

Ed

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I do not have kids but my father bought me a pen knife at age 5 when I joined the cub scouts, my first sheaf knife at age 10 along with an air gun, I remember I went out with the airgun and shot a sparrow, my father was watching me and he made me eat it: what you kill, you eat, he told me later it was the same lesson his father gave him at about the same age. I can only think my childhood would have been all the poorer had he not bought me those tools.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE