Kids and Knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
greg2935 said:
I do not have kids but my father bought me a pen knife at age 5 when I joined the cub scouts, my first sheaf knife at age 10 along with an air gun, I remember I went out with the airgun and shot a sparrow, my father was watching me and he made me eat it: what you kill, you eat, he told me later it was the same lesson his father gave him at about the same age. I can only think my childhood would have been all the poorer had he not bought me those tools.

Greg

I've always said the same thing to my kids - you only kill to eat or to stop something killing you etc. Of course when my 5 year old (at the time) asked me why it was Ok for me to kill a mouse that had been raiding our kitchen it all got a bit too complicated and I had to eat the dam** thing!

Didn't taste too bad though

George

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Abbe, its down to teaching your kids well and having trust in them. My parents bought me my first bow at the age of 7. To my recolcetions there was never a scary moment. I had my first penknife (a Victorianox hunter, now lost in the mists of time) when I was in cubs. Never had a sheath knife, but always had folders, I've cut myself more times than I care to remember, but never seriously.

And yes pointy sticks and sheets of bark are an acheivement :D

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
As a scout leader I see a lot of kids (14-18) who have never been alowed to handle a knife until they get to us, by this time they think they know everything and won't listen to you until they cut themselves.Yet the ones who have a knife from an early age are less likely to rush at a stick and try to hack it to pieces, or themselves!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think if you want them to be responsible, you must let them have responsibility.

My step son has, and is responsible for the safe use of, his own mora, GB pocket axe, variouse folding/pocket knives. Yes he has cut himself, nothing too serious, but he has learnt from it. He does not see knives as weapons like a lot of kids, he sees them as tools & items of great beauty and utility, to treaseure and not to abuse.

I think he'll turn out alright.

Dave

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi guys,
here comes a update on my situation.
Thanks for all the tips and help
// Abbe

son.jpg

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Abbe Osram said:
Hi guys,
here comes a update on my situation.
Thanks for all the tips and help
// Abbe

son.jpg

:nono:
Take him away from that table, it will ikely happen an accident while sitting an carving like that. When sitting like that it´s very easy to cut yourself because there are no natural breaks.

Abbe PM me your adress and I will send you a video on carving techniques, so your son will learn it properly.

I stole my fathers mora knife when i was 4 got hooked and never stopped using them, still love to do a "minkepinne".

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My father introduced me to knives at quite an early age, 6 or 7, and I also was given a set of rules to abide by. I think the ryhme 'Always cut towards your chum, never cut towards your thumb' is a great rhyme for children to learn and abide by, and if a pen knife is to be used, the correct way of opening and closing it.

I got my daughter a small pen knife for when we go in the woods. It needs sharpening, but I got her it because I think that at 4, nearly 5 years old, that now is the perfect time to start teaching her the fundamental basics of handling knives. I am not sure whether to keep it slightly blunt as she is still young, but I recall the knife my dad lent me on camping trips being razor sharp, and I never cut myself with it.

As for first aid kits, they are part and parcel of carrying a knife, a lesson I learnt the hard way. I cut myself only a year ago, I basically made a school boy error, didn't plan the cut before I made it and ended up cutting myself quite badly. With no first aid kit on me, I wrapped my hand with a bar towel I had with me (No, I wasn't in the pub!) and made my way home. A bit of iodine and gauze and I was sorted, but I had my girl out with me that day and started thinking 'What if something had happened to her?' I think that I was a bit stupid not to have taken the first aid kit with me, but it's a lesson learnt and it will not be repeated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a good age for a boy to have knife and be learning to use it, Abbe. Show him how to look after it too, not just how to look after himself while using it.

So, what's next Dad? Firesteel? :lol:

Best wishes,
Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Toddy said:
It's a good age for a boy to have knife and be learning to use it, Abbe. Show him how to look after it too, not just how to look after himself while using it.

So, what's next Dad? Firesteel? :lol:

Best wishes,
Toddy

Yes, I believe that will be next. :wink:
cheers
Abbe

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Keeping the knife sharpo will reduce injuries as he will have to use less force to do the job than with a blunt blade.

in addition there are blades on the market that are dulled on the ends.

This means that they can cut themselves , but not stab themselves.

he is one i made for someone on this site a little while ago.'

kiddy1.jpg

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
hay abbe.. thats a great pic.. i bet there are not many thing he does in which he will be as absorbed as he looks in that picture..!! :wave:

as for me i can not remember not having tons of folders and such like knocking around got my first Fixed Blade when i was 7/8!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE