Khyam Igloo Tent? Views please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Hi chaps,

I am toying with the idea of buying a Khyam Igloo 3 man tent, and wondered what you think of it, or if there is a better alternative that is as easy to put up.

The reason I am going for this is that I like the size and it's ease of erection (snigger). I know it's heavy but as my days of lightweight bushcrafting are over, as I now need to take medical equipment with me, I don't mind and have resigned myself to the idea of not walking/driving far away from civilisation.

Any suggestions gratefully recieved - as ever!

cheers

Kim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used Khyam tents since they were first launched.
IMHO there is no easier pitched tent system available and the Igloo is the best of the lot.
Not a tent to carry any distance but the best for a quick, easy, secure and spacious nights lodging!
I still have one (it is elderly now) and use it whenever I am camping (as oposed to bivvying/hammocking or living out of my van) and find it luxurious for one, OK for two and cramped for three....
Recommended - one of the best tents in its class that I have ever had for review!
No connection etc

I had a two man khyam tent for years and it was the most bombproof tent I have ever owned. Easy to put up and they are so reliable to. When camping on the shore at Glenelg for the music festival a storm came in from Skye and blew down every tent excpet the khyam which didn't budge an inch ( I peggedt it out well), awesome. I've been thinking about getting another but I've got too many tents as it is lol.

The tent is still going strong as I gave it to my brother.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like others have already said, they`re definitely solid bits of kit. My dad brought one home years ago when he was a buyer for Grattans catalogue, it`s a great big purple thing with a silver lining, two entrances and a good sized porch. Mine got abused at festivals for a good few years and it`s still going strong, in fact I`m taking it down to France in summer for a few weeks camping with swmbo.
My 4 man packs into a bag about 4ft long and must weigh nearly 5kg, two of my mates shared the load for a 3 day trek in the Lakes a few years ago :D

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm here to agree with all the rest. I've had a Kyham Highlander for over 10 years. It's not been used for a few years as I replaced it with a Quasar, but it served us very well for a number of years. Only takes a few minutes to shake and peg out.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone, I quess that's a big thumbs up for the Igloo then. I had used one before, briefly, and was really impressed wth it. I just wondered if things had moved on since then or there was a better alternative.

Off to buy one now!!!!

Cheers

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nothing but good things to say, same as every one else. Broke a pole a few years ago, phoned them up, and a couple of days later opend the front door to find a guy had dropped one off, as he was passing.

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
One last thing, I've been looking for good deals and a lot of places on the net seem to be out of stock. Does anyone know if they are bringing out a new version for 2009, hence the running down of stock, or for that matter where the best place to buy one from?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE