Khukuri, Dartmoor or MOD

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Open to the floor.
Have a nice traditional Bushcraft knife (saw and hachet) - would like to get some thing with a bit more weight for loping type tasks. I have narowed it down to 3 - would like some imput or maybe Iv mist one (have used all 3 and like all just hope for a bit more presonal input)

a) Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Knife (know the factory is closed - have one lined up if I want it)

b) Latest issue MOD Survival knife

c) Khukuri (Gurkha Knife)

Thanks

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shambling Shaman said:
Open to the floor.
Have a nice traditional Bushcraft knife (saw and hachet) - would like to get some thing with a bit more weight for loping type tasks. I have narowed it down to 3 - would like some imput or maybe Iv mist one (have used all 3 and like all just hope for a bit more presonal input)

a) Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Knife (know the factory is closed - have one lined up if I want it)

b) Latest issue MOD Survival knife

c) Khukuri (Gurkha Knife)

Thanks
SS,

I'm not a huge fan of the MOD survival knife although for sure it is robust!

I can see the correlation between the Wilky and the MOD, but the Kukri is a different animal altogether. In my head at least, given a choice between a Dartmoor and a basic MOD, I'd choose the Dartmoor straight away, so lets discount the MOD for now.

It now boils down to what you are going to pair them with (or whether at all). A very experienced military type I know swear by a SAK and a Kukri. SAK for fine work, Kukri for everything from chopping, splitting and digging. So if paired to your belt knife, I'd say Kukri. If paired with your saw and hatchet, I'd say the Dartmoor.

As opposed to a lot of people here, I am gradually coming around to a "big knife". But by "big knife" I mean "short machete". They are fantastic for cutting bedding and thatch, good for cutting stakes and shelter building, fair at light (up to 6-8") splitting. Two you might want to consider in this mode are:

The Wiseman Survival Knife

loftyknife.jpg

And the Becker Brute

bk1.jpg

I have both of these and paired up with a decent belt knife and folding saw you have most bases covered. You can of course do things with an axe that you can't with a big knife. You can do things with a big knife that you can't with an axe too.

As an alternative to the Wilky or MOD knife, I'd consider a Camillus Crewman (although I'd take the Dartmoor if the price is right).

If you want side by side piccs of the Brute or Wiseman or other details, just shout

So my 2p worth is, the Kukri for shelter building as an axe alternative, the Wilky as a stand alone tool. One thought is that big knives can scare the natives a lot - an "inside the Bergan" item IMHO

Red

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
British Red said:
"inside the Bergan" item IMHO Red

I all was carry any knife out of site - just my way. Thank for the reply was just about to pm you. Was thinking of a pair for my normal knife. Will re-read your post a few times but would like to see the photos. Like I said have used all 3 at some time but your insite has made me re-think. :approve:

never to stubern to listen

EdS

have you considered a billhook rather than a big knife for loping, splitting etc.. That what they been used for eon. £30 will get you a hand forged one that will take a razor edge.

Best all rounder - Newton style. Also less likely to get less hassle for carrying a hook (traditional British country tool) than a big knife.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
EdS said:
have you considered a billhook rather than a big knife for loping, splitting etc.. That what they been used for eon. £30 will get you a hand forged one that will take a razor edge.

Best all rounder - Newton style. Also less likely to get less hassle for carrying a hook (traditional British country tool) than a big knife.
Any links to these hand forged billhooks EdS???

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here you go SS

knivesandaxes2hc.jpg

Right on the top a Scandanavian Forest Axe (6" longer than a Small Forest Axe remember)

Then the Becker Brute. This errs more to a "big knife" with a straightish blade, small hammer on the spine (more to be batoned than to act as a hammer) and very thick handle. It has a 9" blade and is 14.5" overall. Comes with a kydex sheath

Next the Wiseman. Much more of a slasher and axe substitute. It has a veriable grind - fine towards the handle or feathering etc, broader in the belly for chopping and finer at the tip for skinning (apparently - I wouldn't use this as a skinner). The first 3" of the top edge are also broad ground for splitting. 10.5" blade and 15.5" overall. Comes with a leather sheath. More comfortable in the hand but more blade heavy. Less good for use as a draw knife due to the sharpened top edge

Next down is a Roselli Allround (large). To the right is my 4" bladed Bushman for scale

Now just the knives

bigknives1qd.jpg

I also agree with the post on the billhook - another great tool to consider

Red

the laird

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2006
DK
Hi everyone
Just come over for a look from song of the paddle,
I've just bought myself a new kukri straight from the maker in Nepal(cant wait to go back for another)
It's 13" long with an 8" blade full tang and its a beauty!!
09-05-06_1950.jpg

leon-1

I like Kukri's, but I would say that there is a definite knack to using one.

The Dartmoor is truly horrible (I used one when they were just the Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife), good gimmick crap knife.

The MOD Survival knife, I have one, not brilliant in anyway shape or form, very good for what they were designed for, but that was about it.

Conclusion don't go for any of them:).

Now to complicate issues after red has thrown in the Lofty's offering and the Becker by throwing another one into the mix.

Try looking at one of the Valiant Goloks something like the Golok Jagal at $50 a very good deal indeed when compared to all other offerings so far.:)

M

Millbilly

Never used a loftywiseman, or the dartmoor, But have used the becker brute, and own a couple of kuks. My personal preferance is for the kuk, i just find it more versatile, with a hardier edge. It does require a bit of practice to use one properly, but that applies to ANY big knife.

Having bought a couple of kuks from different places, i highly recomend

http://www.toratoratora.co.uk/default.asp?src=google

Have been bashing one of theirs about for a while now, and am pretty pleased with it. They have a bit of a selection, too. PM me if you wanna know any more.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
18" Ontario machete, military model. Convex the edge then get out of it's way. It's a fierce tool. Even the 12" is an excellent choice.

I also like the Becker Combat Bowie. Much prefer it to the Brute, which needs a lot of edge work (thinning) to get it to perform.

Just my 2 cents. If you get a Becker, be sure to get the micarta scales as well. Gotta order them from Camillus but well worth the money.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Just thought I'd wade in here and say..... Go the Khukri mate!!

cant go wrong and just needs a bit of practice to "master"

I think Red beat me to this one...

Oh and Red nice to hear you are comming over to the "Dark side" mate.... we always win in the end..... ;) :lmao:

cheers for now...

Karl..

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I use a variation of the MOD knife
DSCN1760.jpg

The grind is slightly higher and of course it's my own (rather quickly added) handle
to be fair this will cut things fairly well and in the garden it's not a bd knife.
The dartmoor was a knife made for for american Rambo types mostly and I'd far rather have the above then a dartmoor in use.
A've used a MKII kukri which for me is the best kukri I've tried but's it's big and scary whilst a billhook might ddo the job at least as well and cost 1/2 what a good modern kukri like that would

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE