Kerosene

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Martyn is 100% right heaps of stove and lanterns etc all run on Kerosene...

Generally the stove or lantern needs to be preheated before the Kerosene will turn into a vapour and burn.. Normally methalayted spirits ( meths) is used as a priming fuel to get the stove or lantern up to temp.

Kerosene Burns hot and cleanly for the most part.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
There are so many, that's a bit like asking if anyone can recommend a car? What are your requirements? Single burner or double burner?

Most paraffin stoves are heavy, but there are some lighter versions. If you want ultralight multifuel, then there are options there too.

Here is an old Primus No 5...

primus_no_5_stove_small.jpg

An Optimus Nova...

1122792.jpg

Here's my most recent, a Radius double burner...

radius001.jpg

An Optimus 111...

111c.JPG

A Primus Omnifuel...

omnifuel-ti-inhand.jpg

All run on Kerosene/Paraffin, all excellent, all very different.

Last edited:

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
Many thanks Martyn.

I wasn't sure if Optimus or Primus would burn kero, it would be a single burner and light weight. Something else to go on the christmas list now :lmao:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
There is a lot to be said for Kerosene. For one it is almost universally available, May lamps and stoves to choose from, cost is probably cheaper than most fuels, and it contains a lot of calories of heat per mass.

Biggest downside in my opinion is it may (read probably) requires a preheater of some sort, and something to consider is if you have a spill in you backpack, you have a major, stinking mess. Whereas alcohol (meths) doesn't smell badly and will rapidly evaporate leaving everything dry and useable, kerosene will leave everything wet, oily, and stinking until you get to the nearest launderette. I had this happen once. A small kerosene tent light leaked in my backpack and everything in it was ruined until I was able to run it through a washing machine. I still like and use kerosene fired equipment but not carried in backpacks.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is a lot to be said for Kerosene. For one it is almost universally available, May lamps and stoves to choose from, cost is probably cheaper than most fuels, and it contains a lot of calories of heat per mass.

Biggest downside in my opinion is it may (read probably) requires a preheater of some sort, and something to consider is if you have a spill in you backpack, you have a major, stinking mess. Whereas alcohol (meths) doesn't smell badly and will rapidly evaporate leaving everything dry and useable, kerosene will leave everything wet, oily, and stinking until you get to the nearest launderette. I had this happen once. A small kerosene tent light leaked in my backpack and everything in it was ruined until I was able to run it through a washing machine. I still like and use kerosene fired equipment but not carried in backpacks.

Not that cheap anymore here in the UK and not always easy to find these days. I collect stoves and have many kerosene ones and I stock up on fuel when I can, try and keep about 100 litres to hand. Some UK BBQ fluid is in fact paraffin, Wilkinson own brand and the BM stocked Flamefeast brand for instance.

Coleman fuel stoves are getting more popular now in the UK, the fuel is crazy expensive but you can get fuel like Panel Wipe or Aspen 4T which is affordable.

Martyn mentioned the Primus Omnifuel, a very good stove and will use standard Lindal threaded gas as well as kerosene and 'Coleman' fuel (Naptha), that said I have a soft spot for my Nova's.

As a starter stove look on eBay for stoves like the Optimus or Primus models OO or 210, they fold up and won't break the bank to buy, plus they are very easy to maintain with spares still readily available from http://www.base-camp.co.uk/stove_in.htm

Pressure kerosene lanterns provide a lot of light, again look on eBay for Vapalux or Bialaddin lanterns.

Other help available on a very friendly site, www.spiritburner.com

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I tend to run my Kero stuff on J1 which is aviation turbine fuel or Kerosene...I'd second any of the Primus Omnifuel / Multifuel stoves they run well on Kero.. As does the MSR XGK...

Waterworx

Nomad
Nov 22, 2009
Cornwall
I work with Kero evryday so used to the smell, tbh I don't smell it anymore, mind you I still wouldn't want it on my kit hence it would be stored in a dry bag in the side pocket, to be safe. Just got to check out some reviews on the optimus and primus now, then search for good prices.

Doing my best to stay away from the older/vintage gear, I know what I'm like, I'll end up collecting it :lmao: SWMBO wouldn't be happy.

Thanks folks.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com

There are quite a few different grades of kerosene, some are dirtier and smellier than others. I remember 20 years ago in the UK our stuff used to be pretty foul, but it's much cleaner these days. Kerosene, J1, Jet A, Paraffin oil, 28 second oil - it's all the same basic stuff, but some variants are cleaner than others.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I'd say original Optimus 111. The original burned paraffin/kerosene only. Needed a prime with meths. Never bettered. They crop up all the time

The 111s the one on the left, next to a 111C - which is multifuel but not as good IMHO

111and111Ccomp.jpg

NS

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I agree about the 111, I've left one outdoors for about three years now, in all weather and it still lights first time for a 'garden brew'

The 111C was short lived, the Cobra burner had quality problems, it was the weak link in the 111 range IMHO.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
RiK UK3: My post about the cost of kerosene may have implied that it was cheap. I said it was probably cheaper than most fuels. I did not mean to imply it was vastly cheaper, but my post sort of reads that way.

Not many years ago it could be bought here for about 7 or 8 dollars for 5 gallons. Now it is higher than gasoline. And it is also getting to be hard to find here. The best bet that I have come up with is to go to farm co-ops. I don't know if you have anything like this or not in the U.K. They buy and store farmers crops, such as grains, and sell seed, fertilizer, tools, etc. and various fuels. (Here is where the kerosene comes in). They are usually vastly cheaper than anywhere else. Not to say it is cheap. Just cheaper.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
RiK UK3: My post about the cost of kerosene may have implied that it was cheap. I said it was probably cheaper than most fuels. I did not mean to imply it was vastly cheaper, but my post sort of reads that way.

Not many years ago it could be bought here for about 7 or 8 dollars for 5 gallons. Now it is higher than gasoline. And it is also getting to be hard to find here. The best bet that I have come up with is to go to farm co-ops. I don't know if you have anything like this or not in the U.K. They buy and store farmers crops, such as grains, and sell seed, fertilizer, tools, etc. and various fuels. (Here is where the kerosene comes in). They are usually vastly cheaper than anywhere else. Not to say it is cheap. Just cheaper.

I know what you mean mate, I talk to a lot of American stove collectors and they are all moaning about the price of fuel, Coleman has gone up, 'white gas' from a pump is harder to fine and de-natured alcohol has gone up too, its a global issue I guess. A couple of the lads live near Amish communities and fuel near them is still cheap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE