Keeping your bum warm in a hammock!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
I know this has been asked a few times before and I'm sorry for repeating, but I'm looking at getting a hammock in the near future (DD frontline methinks) and I've heard reports of people not getting a good night's sleep due to having a cold bum/back during the night.

Since I am on a VERY tight budget and can't even nearly afford an underblanket I was looking at alternative options that would hopefully suit all year 'hammocking.'

Would a sleep mat between the base layers be sufficient? Maybe something like off this page http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/camping-outdoor/sleep-mats.html or would I be better buying a cheap as chips sleeping bag and rigging it underneath the hammock?

I've looked through pages and pages about this and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, so I thought I'd just ask. Again, sorry for repeating but any help is appreciated!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A mat will do you fine for most of the year round, I find in the colder months I like to have more insulation around the sides as well as underneath though. You get compression of the bag around the shoulders so having an underblanket really helps there.

The 10mm NATO mat is a good buy if you're on a tight budget, roll into into a wide tube and drop it in an empty pack then stuff all your other gear inside it. You can even cut it down a bit if you wanted, a piece long enough to cover from the back of your knees up to your shoulders will be enough.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
would adding a space blanket help? or an emergency bivvy bag. both are really small and are supposed to be designed for good insulation

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
would adding a space blanket help? or an emergency bivvy bag. both are really small and are supposed to be designed for good insulation

The bivvy bag would work to an extent but the compressed sleeping bag under the back and backside would still let a chill through. I've messed about with space blankets and they do work but you can get some nasty condensation, I think a lot depends on if you're a warm sleeper or not.

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Most cost effective method is to use closed cell foam pad(s).
See thread
Vango Adventure DLX SIM
for a fuller discussion of this topic.
A fiver keeps you really warm to a pretty low temperature.

Cogola

Apr 21, 2009
Western Australia
Might be worth a look over at hammockforums.net. All you could ever want to know about mats and underquilts with hammocks. Many good DIY pages as well as reviews about off the shelf gear.

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
With DD you have acccess to the layers of the hammock, so I am going to put an old sleeping bag under that will kinda go round me. Mat on top then then in my actual sleeping bag!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
A matt underneath or between the layers is good for your back. I used two matts for a while, with the second cut short (3/4 length) and placed across my shoulders (so the two pads formed the shape of a cross), and it does work though it can be hard to get the pads sitting right to begin with. A cheap sleeping bag rigged as an UQ isn't hard to do but can be a bit fiddly - good fun to tinker with it though. Really if you use a matt as well the sleeping bag just needs to be there to insulate your shoulders/thighs.

IMO a combination of the two works best, I use an UQ but in this weather I have an offcut pad that I put inside my sleeping bag (only have a 1 layer hammock) which goes from my feet up to my thighs.

The other thing I'd recommend is to take an offcut pad and use it to 'plug' any uninsulated spots - I used to find with the matt that it'd slip slightly, or just not reach to cover a certain spot, so having a small bit of ccf to slot against my shoulder, or under my bum, really helped. You only need one uninsulated spot to ruin a good nights sleep!

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
A matt underneath or between the layers is good for your back. I used two matts for a while, with the second cut short (3/4 length) and placed across my shoulders (so the two pads formed the shape of a cross), and it does work though it can be hard to get the pads sitting right to begin with. A cheap sleeping bag rigged as an UQ isn't hard to do but can be a bit fiddly - good fun to tinker with it though. Really if you use a matt as well the sleeping bag just needs to be there to insulate your shoulders/thighs.

IMO a combination of the two works best, I use an UQ but in this weather I have an offcut pad that I put inside my sleeping bag (only have a 1 layer hammock) which goes from my feet up to my thighs.

The other thing I'd recommend is to take an offcut pad and use it to 'plug' any uninsulated spots - I used to find with the matt that it'd slip slightly, or just not reach to cover a certain spot, so having a small bit of ccf to slot against my shoulder, or under my bum, really helped. You only need one uninsulated spot to ruin a good nights sleep!

The Mats are good like you say for the back, I got mine which is Coffin shaped and its uber comfy.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
hammock forums is the place for this info. though it is soul destroying how many different methods for things we come up with over there... you will be spoilt for choice!

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
I have just recently bought one of http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29572&pnid=301627 with the intention of laying it over my Thermarest and then stuffing it in an SPE that is going to use a masacared one of http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29572&pnid=301624 for wings.

The reflective mat throws an amazing amount of heat back at you, just testing it out in the cold office I was suprised at how toasty it was after a minute or two. I just have to make my SPE and get out there and test it now :p

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for the relpies everyone! I'll have a look at hammock forums and see what other info I can find about it, thanks again!

jtbutcher

Jan 18, 2011
Warwickshire, UK
Hammock forums is a little over whelming at first :p but a nice place. I've come to the conclusion that I actually need to get out in mine and try it before I try some of the more adventurous things like rerigging suspension and adding zips to my hh

Sent from my HTC Dream using Tapatalk

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
The danger with using an old sleeping bag is if its well used the loft on the base may be well and truly compressed and useless. Found out this with my old snugpak bag, stayed warm everywhere except lower back and bum froze!!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The first thing that came to my head was "adult nappy". Nice bit of padding and it would save getting up in the night too. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE