Karrimor Sabre 30 vs Sabre 35 vs Delta 35 vs Patrol 45

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
I'm looking for a rucksack that can withstand a bit of abuse. It will be used for bushcrafting rather than military activities. Short weekends, one overnight stay, in all but the very worst weather; when it drops to - 10°C I'll opt for my old military heavyweight 100L + monstrous pack. I've narrowed it down to the following backpacks and wanted to hear your experiences on those.

- Karrimor SF Sabre 30
- Karrimor SF Sabre 35
- Karrimor SF Sabre Delta 35
- Karrimor SF Predator Patrol 45

Visuals and specs on http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Karrimor_SF.html

I've also considered the Lowe Alpine Sabre 35 and the Berghaus Munro. The Lowe Alpine seems rare (not even mentioned on the Lowe Alpine website) and similar in function as the Karrimor SF Sabre 30 minus a few features. The Munro although a well respected classic lacks some additional stowing features. So those didn't made the shortlist, unless you can convince me otherwise that is.

Karrimor SF Sabre 30

Being a mountaineer, I like a narrow alpine backpack. Nothing gets in the way. The shape of the backpack is easily maintained. And you can slide in long objects behind the compression straps. The stuff pockets on the side are nice, don't provide clutter when empty and allow you to stash something quickly. This was my initial choice.

Karrimor SF Sabre 35

I'm a bit concerned the above 30 may be on the very small side. I dislike sidepockets, they tend to turn a backpack into a shapeless thing. Got bad experience with a Lafuma of similar design and volume. The damn thing would look like a ball when loaded. Then again, sidepockets may be nice and welcome in a bushcrafting environment where you do carry some smaller items you frequently use. I'm on the fence here.

Karrimor SF Sabre Delta 35

At first you wouldn't judge this as a serious rucksack but I must admit my favorite daypack is the old Lowe Alpine Pax. Limited to 20L I've overstuffed it many times before and the clamshell allows for different packing and easy access. Having optimized my gear over the last few decades learning what works and doesn't work I can get around with very few items, even in the winter. I invested quite some time in ultralight, to understand different clothing systems, and I'm applying this to bushcraft to reduce my volume. So the Delta 35 holds 15 liters over my tiny old Pax, so that's definitely an uplift wouldn't you think? Uncle Ray says 30 or was it 35 liters is enough for a weekend. Does this apply to the Delta shape as well? I'm convinced that this is a practical and most comfortable daypack of the lot. But will it lack certain crucial features limiting it to truly just a daypack? How does it compare to the classic toploaders? Volume doesn't tell the whole story I'm sure. How much can one stuff in there, and attach to the outsides?

Karrimor SF Predator Patrol 45

This would be the largest I would be willing to go. Initially seen as overkill it should provide plenty of space for an occasional overnight stay in the wild. I'm concerned about the empty weight, the way it carries (high on the back military style) and that huge plate in the back (comfy but bulky no?). I do like the square shape as opposed to the round top loaders. Is this a good daypack? Does it carry nicely knowing that this will be used for civilian outdoors activities? Is this massively oversized for a single day in the forest without overnight stay?

So how do these all compare? What would be the best pack here? What are the pros and cons on these rucksacks?

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
I have the sabre delta 25, thats a great pack, the 35 will be as good.

Rob - if you could confirm, those tiny little shock cords above the mesh stuff pockets on the Deltas, are those merely to secure a bottle?

I wonder what the so-called crampon straps are on the Deltas. And I did notice some daisy chain alike webbing at the hip belt which could receive some biners.

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
Does the Delta series contain one or two zipped compartments? I believe I see two sets of zippers on certain photos. Would the inner zipper be the hydration system? And the outer set the main compartment? I don't use a hydration system but could use the extra compartment for other items, like the tarp and pad.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just been to get the pack. The shock cord is as you say to secure bottle, and the lops will take caribeners. There is one main compartment, and a bladder pocket, with a clip closure. There is also a small zipped security pocket inside.
Outside, there is one horizontal zipped pocket.

If you like, pm me your mobile number, and i'll send some photo's to you.

All the best, Rob

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi have a Munro and Sabre 45. They are both excellent.

The Munro at 35ltrs is a bit tight for an overnight, I dont really agree with Ray's mantra as he is using the very best smallest and lightest gear around and is also very skilled. Certainly in my case I use army surplus kit which is cheaper but bulkier I also like to have my regular gear so its ok if I can't build a shelter / fire etc. I sometimes need more space for projects: carving, charcloth, charcoal etc as well. I like the Munro for its simple design, do you really need all the extra features on the other packs? My only crititisum of the Munro is the small lid pocket. I use Sabre 45 in winter as im carrying a few more layers and waterproofs it actually carries a heavy load very well and is extremly comfortable to wear. Both packs are good on the hill and come from a mountaineering background.

If you can afford it buy one small and one big if not go for the Predator/Sabre 45 for its versatility.

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
Thank you all. Who has experience with the Sabre 30 (is it too small? can you fit a mat behind the compression straps?) and the Sabre 35 (does it remain well its form or does it become saggy?). Any feedback on any of these rucksacks is most appreciated.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
now if you want my adbice get the sabre 35 its ausome and i habe used as a day pack and would have used it next weekend but cant go camping cos on the sick so i havent used it for bushcraft yet but cant see why it wouldnt hold up to it cos there is tons of room

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
+1 for the Sabre 45. Carries underloaded really quite well, loads of adjustability, mouldable back, tough as hell. Best pack I've ever owned.

Hi have a Munro and Sabre 45. They are both excellent.

The Munro at 35ltrs is a bit tight for an overnight, I dont really agree with Ray's mantra as he is using the very best smallest and lightest gear around and is also very skilled. Certainly in my case I use army surplus kit which is cheaper but bulkier I also like to have my regular gear so its ok if I can't build a shelter / fire etc. I sometimes need more space for projects: carving, charcloth, charcoal etc as well. I like the Munro for its simple design, do you really need all the extra features on the other packs? My only crititisum of the Munro is the small lid pocket. I use Sabre 45 in winter as im carrying a few more layers and waterproofs it actually carries a heavy load very well and is extremly comfortable to wear. Both packs are good on the hill and come from a mountaineering background.

If you can afford it buy one small and one big if not go for the Predator/Sabre 45 for its versatility.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Sabre 45 for me too... it's much better in my view to have room in your pack than to start strapping stuff to the outside.

It's no understatement that I really couldn't be happier with my 45 and if you need that bit more room for *ahem* hydration (Mead / Rum / Beer) , add the side pouches.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Drew Dunn - How does it holds it shape? Does it remain slim and "alpine" style when loaded?

yer it keeps its shape fine when packed i find but it can depend on how you pack it cos if you ram it full it will be shape but heavey and if you leave it empty it still keeps its shape but the shape is more saggy and prone to movement but its an ausome pack so dont let this put you off cos its that minore an issue it is pointless to be bothered by it really especially if you tighten the lid straps to the right tightness

drew

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
I'm not a Karrimor fan, but what about the Lowe Alpine Sabre?

As much as I love Lowe Alpine - see initial post - the Lowe Alpine Sabre misses a bungee cord (ideal to tuck the wet ground cover under) and mesh stuff pockets for me. Two features I used systematically. Too bad cause it looked like a sweet bag otherwise.

Trango

Feb 1, 2011
Europe
As much as I appreciate the Sabre 45 being an excellent all-round pack - I've seen many good posts in many threads as well as excellent reviews - I'm really looking for something smaller (mainly daypack with occasional overnight use) or something entirely different in functionality and shape (thinking Predator then). The main reason is I have a 45ish liter civilian alpine pack, and a military issue 100 something liter heavyweight pack. If I would go for a 45 it would be the Predator, provided this forum would recommend this pack, it carries nicely and isn't overkill as a daypack.

At this point very much torn between the alpine 30, the 35 with sidepockets and the 35 delta, with the Sabre 35 being the least favorite due to lack of compression straps and mesh stuff pockets. The small Sabre 30 was my initial choice but leaning towards the Delta 35 now. Unless it becomes obvious that the Predator is so much better, even as a daypack. Looking for this forum's personal experience.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'd say given your criteria go for a Sabre 45.

I'd give the Predator a miss as it's primarily designed for Infantry patrolling and while tough and durable is really designed to be used with webbing or body armour so the waist belt is an afterthought. Why when you have a choice would you want to carry a pack with potentially 60L + of kit only on your shoulders??

If your usage profile includes Infantry patrolling then go for it.

Same really with the smaller Sabres the back length on them precludes the waist belt being used for anything other then keeping the pack stable which is in keeping with the climbing / day hiking origins of these packs. So if you over load them for a weekend out, lugging it any distance might be a bit wearing.

The Sabre 45 has it's roots in the Old Karrimor Alpinste 45 and if the back length suits you fits well and transfers weight between hips and shoulders well. It has bungy cord and a mesh pocket under the lid. I think the newer ones have a hydration port and sleeve also... The down side is will the back length suit you.

Mine fits me just and I tend to use it as a 45 ltr sack only not with the PLCE pouches zipped on. It's ok and well made.

You might also consider packs form say Camel Back the Motherlode for example seemingly meets a lot of your criteria...

Have fun...

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I have a sabre 30 and a sabre 45, I rarely use the sabre 30. The only thing I would prefer is MOLLE on the Sabre 45 otherwise suits me fine for day pack or multi night pack in warm weather.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Okay - time for something completely different. Check out the Deuter Futura. I have the 28 AC:

image.ashx

Outside pocket, internal mesh pocket for valuables, top loader zip + a bottom zip, slit pockets, compression straps, integral rain cover in its own little pocket, hydration system compatible, internal divider, high tech back system which holds the rucksack away from you suspended on taut mesh :

1280838148_107982155_2-Deuter-Futura-28-AC-Kuala-Lumpur.jpg

You can stuff your jacket in the space between the mesh back and the body of the pack! The belt handily loops through this gap too if you're not using it. To be honest I almost always use it without the belt, riding high on the shoulder - but can be quickly adjusted to ride lower so the belt fits securely round the waist.

Very hard wearing - I've used mine for nearly 10 years and take it to work every shift I do, use it as a day pack, and even carry snorkelling gear in it when I go to Greece. I stuff my fins down through the compression straps into the pocket. Can swallow a surprising amount of gear if you pack it right.

I've always kind of taken it for granted but am recently realising just how tough and useful it is.

The fancy sprung steel back system has a bit of a weight cost - 1.3kg, but hardly matters on a small pack. The Sabre 45 is more than 1.8kg in comparison, so not too bad really.

HTH

Last edited:

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I know this has been asked before but can't find the info anywhere - would the back length on the Sabre 45 be ok for someone 5ft 11inch tall (although I like to think I'm 6ft!?!)? I'd like to try one on for size but as I live overseas I doubt that will be possible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE