Jungle King Survival Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jca21

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
i gotta say i've never ever owned one of those hollow handle knives personally, played with a few but never bought any. i've always been partial to full tang knives :)

i hope you're not considering taking one of those knives with you on a serious outting. back yard bush camp and i'd say thats ok, but in all seriousness hollow handle knives are horrible with the exception of the chris reeve hollow handle knives.

personally i'd rather carry a 7-8inch full tang knife in something like a survival sheath. that way i have the benefit of carrying a survival kit on my person in combination with the strength and reliability of a full tang blade.

also, those hollow handle knives are a bit rambo-esque, dont ya think? :D

cheers,

JC

pwb

has anyone used one?

im thinking of getting a cheap knife that im not too bothered about trashing. and i wanted to try a hollow handled one just for fun :D

Never tried any of their hollow handled knives but I do use and like their JK1 Skinner.
I believe the skinner is part of the ' survival knife ' package, given a resharpen it's a good little blade and available on it's own in various forms:

http://www.cutlery2go.com/images/a160222.jpg

Pete.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Used one in my ill informed youth ......I did not break it but realise now that I would have been a lot better off with a real knife......:D

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
What exactly is that for?If you hold it properly the spikes will dig into your hands,surely.

What exactly is that for?If you hold it properly the spikes will dig into your hands,surely.

The hooks screw in and out of the guard - to be used as a grappling hook to enable you to absail into an enemy encampment.

Sawback is for cutting through HALO canopies

Hollow handle not only conceals a full survival kit but can also be used as a makeshift firearm using small sachets of sulphur, saltpeter and charcoal supplied.

On earlier models the inner cap of the screw-off handle contains a compass which doubles as a magnetic tracking device. This was discontinued after it was realised that the magnetic tracker interfered with the compass - also, if the tracker was deployed, you had no compass left to know which way to go.

This feature was re-introduced after several months when it was realised that these tools would never actually be used, instead the knives would spend their time being hidden under beds by teenage boys for fear of their parents finding it - later to be hidden under beds by bushcrafters for fear their mates finding it.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The original is a brilliant ,well thought out bit of kit.Ideal for what it was designed to do.
The modern copy is............well I'll leave that for you to make up your own minds.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
also i like the idea of just using a survival sheath, but can you get them on their own or would you have to buy one with a knife?

Why not make your own? Paul123 showed his fairly chunky home made sheath on a recent thread...

010-9.jpg

:D

....when it was realised that these tools would never actually be used, instead the knives would spend their time being hidden under beds by teenage boys for fear of their parents finding it - later to be hidden under beds by bushcrafters for fear their mates finding it.
:lmao:

In my teenage years I had a Gerber Mk II hidden under my bed, I didn't get a Buck 184 until I'd left home.:rolleyes:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The cold steel bushman is a real hollow handled knife. I read a review of the real, original Rambo knife once which said it was actually a pretty good tool - it was the thousands of cheaper copies that were truly terrible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE