Ivy hearthboard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've had alot of success with the hazel drill / ivy hearth combo,
But my favourite is a hazel drill / lime hearth combo which I have never failed with.
Although of late I have been very lazy and not practiced like I should!!:rolleyes:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well I got a bit further today. I used a very thin willow spindle, I burned it into the sycamoe and then I did the same with the ivy. The ivy was much quicker but I just cant get enough going. Its like half way the smoke tales off, or I tale off, but Im not sure why the smoke disappears, is the spindle ging smooth and loosing friction. My arm actually feels like it has a tiny bump of muscle for the first time in my life. first time i drilled, my arms burned all night, but its not so bad now.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My arm actually feels like it has a tiny bump of muscle for the first time in my life. first time i drilled, my arms burned all night, but its not so bad now.

Be careful Lindsey.... too much bowdrilling with the same arm may leave you with Barmaids Bosom effect......... :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Over the weekend just gone, I managed to make 4 embers (out of six attempts) Ivy on ivy. I seem not to be able to get the ember to flames, (dispite burning up nearly all my "bundle" and making lots of heat and smoke) I think you are better off practicing just a few times when you are fresh and rested, rather than beating yourself up when tired. Warming/drying the board and drill seems to help lots.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Right, seems there are issues here that Imay be able to help with. I'll start with Tadpole as he seems to be struggling with getting his ember to flame. Big tinder bundle, dry grass works really well. Make it into a birds' nest and add some fluffy materials such as cat tail fluff or peelings from honey suckle buffed up fine (my new all time favourite!). Thistle down is good too. For it to be efficient, the tinder bundle should be as big as a grapefruit minimum and a chicken egg sized amount of fine stuff in the centre. Drop your ember onto the fluffy fine stuff and pinch the whole thing closed sop that you can just see the ember glowing and start to blow. Moving the tinder bundle away whilst you breathe in is a good technique to adopt if you don't already do so. Keep going until the smoke goes a manky mustard gas yellow and you are almost done, one last puff should have it alight.

As for Lindseys' fire bow issues, I can nip down to Swallownest some time if you like? I was on the High Street today in fact! Last week I made a complete bow drill set before breakfast with wood from the trees and got an ember first go with it, it really is all technique and picking the right wood. Hazel is good on willow, ivy, lime and rowan, lime is good on a lime hearth board and willow on willow seems to work well too, a woman on the course I went on last week got an ember with that combination, she was 61 years old! One of the guys was trying for hours with what turned out to be oak on oak! He nearly got an ember too, talk about training hard! I'm sure with a bit of tweaking and some help you'll get there in the end. I'll bring some of my sets along to yours and you can have a go if you wish.

As for the bows and hearths and drills, there isn't a hard and fast rule on dimensions. A hearth board that is too thick can enable the dust to cool quickly and your ember will never be achieved, but too thin and you'll drill through in no time at all! A thick drill can be a good thing in certain wood, but it is best to go for a thickness about the same as the base of your thumb. Carving the drill perfectly circular is not a good idea, carve it hexagonal, or at least with that sort of idea in mind, and you'll be left with ridges that the cordage can grip and the drill will be less prone to slipping. The bow should be light and long enough to comfortably get a long bowing action in. Hefty bows are no good, something the thickness of the base of the thumb again is pretty good and yet still strong. Tie the string in such a way that you can fine tune the tension without undoing a whole load of string.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im in swallownest saturday till tuesday most weeks. Be nice if you can come round and show me how to set things on fire!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Im in swallownest saturday till tuesday most weeks. Be nice if you can come round and show me how to set things on fire!

Then I will pop round sometime this weekend if that is OK. I may have to bring a rug rat though, but I'll give you a shout nearer the weekend. I'll bring all my stuff and you can have a play around and see what works best for you. ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
cool cheers :) Ill show you some of the pyrography Im doing at the moment if you like.

I look forward to it! It may have to be Sunday as I need to go and see my Dad soonest as he got some bad news health wise. As I say though, I'll probably have to bring at least one rugrat, do you have a preference on age?! :rolleyes:

:D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Right, seems there are issues here that Imay be able to help with. I'll start with Tadpole as he seems to be struggling with getting his ember to flame. Big tinder bundle, dry grass works really well. Make it into a birds' nest and add some fluffy materials such as cat tail fluff or peelings from honey suckle buffed up fine (my new all time favourite!). Thistle down is good too. For it to be efficient, the tinder bundle should be as big as a grapefruit minimum and a chicken egg sized amount of fine stuff in the centre. Drop your ember onto the fluffy fine stuff and pinch the whole thing closed sop that you can just see the ember glowing and start to blow. Moving the tinder bundle away whilst you breathe in is a good technique to adopt if you don't already do so. Keep going until the smoke goes a manky mustard gas yellow and you are almost done, one last puff should have it alight.
With only a slight modification, and following the advice and wise council from Spamel, I managed to get my bundles to light, not just once but twice. My modification (I have no straw and I’m almost out of dried clematis stems, I was just left with short dry crumbly chaffy ‘bits’ I made my bundle larger and more compact, and wrapped it all in the thin outer peeling of silver birch (Just to keep the bundle compact and easy to hold, I had flames before the outer bark was hot)
The bundle, pampas grass, cat tail fluff, buffed clematis bits, clematis straw, and all held together with silver birch bark.
The drill set was Ivy on ivy. A drill and hearth that has been kept in door, seems to work better than keeping it in the wood shed.
To say I am chuffed is an understatement :red: as I have been able to get an ember for weeks but not flames. Spamel :You_Rock_

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice one! It's chucking it down here at the moment and I was gonna go out and get some more drill bits for bow drill, but the missus has vanished and left me with one of the kids. I have some hand drill kit though so I better get practising!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I don't think it will effect use but does all Ivy split like hell as it dries out? I've sawn a 2" wide stem into a hearth board and scarfed and pegged a 6 inch lenght 20 mil' dia onto a lenght of holly to make a spindle (I couldn't find a long straight bit).

Is it best to let it totally dry out/ season?

I've not made a ember this way since 1991 when i was a lot fitter so I'm expecting to knacker myself!

ATB

Tom

PS made a set in Hazel with a holly bearing block. Would amber make a good bearing? I think theres a broken bit around the house some where.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE