Ivy hearthboard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I was chuffed to have got myself a whacking big piece of Ivy on saturday. As it was the base of the tree though, it was sopping wet from drawing moisture from the ground. Ive left to dry but impatient as I am, I decided to attempt bowdrilling it today. I have one sycamore drill, a willow one, and one thats possibly willow or hazel, unfortunately Ive forgot.

Im still trying to get my first ember. Bushmoot doesnt count because a guy was helping me and everybody made fire, and it just isnt that easy if you are on your own with stuff you gathered.
I do seem to be getting better though, Ive identified my main problem as being too little downward pressure as when I press harder I can smell the smoke. unfortunately I cannot keep this up and the string slides on the drill or squeaks. The thinnest drill spins faster and I seem to have more luck with this, but the string isnt gripping it as well, even if I wrap it round twice.

I managed to char it a little, the hearth and drills have turned brown. Could the problem be that the ivy is still wet? it doesnt feel wet. how long does it take to dry wood out?

most of all WHY IS IT SO HARD WHEN OTHERS MAKE IT LOOK EASY!!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trishbo says it's a "Lightbulb Moment" :D .
We're smaller than the menfolks and have less muscle mass, yadda, yadda.....but I find that when women get the posture right it just works :cool:
Basically use your body to provide the downward pressure otherwise you'll just exhaust yourself pushing as well as bowing. The only bit of you that ought to be moving is the shoulder, everything else ought to be balancing downwards on the spindle. Works when I teach kids that way :)

I do agree on the thinner spindle, though I watch the men forcing ones as thick as brushshafts around :confused: , and what is it with that huge long stick of a bow ??? :confused: We use little ones and they work reliably time after time after time......and with much less effort too. Generally we show the kids how to get their fingers around the string as well as the bow to tighten the grip on the spindle since if it's too tight to start with they can't get it into the string.

I do like Ivy for the hearth :D lasts for ages too :approve:
No idea how long it'll take to dry out, not that long in this heat I shouldn't have thought though. It can be split fairly thin and it'll still work. I know folks who use thin floorboards for their hearths and they're way less than 2cms thick.

Best of luck with it all :D

atb,
M

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Where in the world are you tie easier to show then explain

Drop a pm if you wish

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Trishbo says it's a "Lightbulb Moment" :D .
We're smaller than the menfolks and have less muscle mass, yadda, yadda.....but I find that when women get the posture right it just works :cool:
Basically use your body to provide the downward pressure otherwise you'll just exhaust yourself pushing as well as bowing. The only bit of you that ought to be moving is the shoulder, everything else ought to be balancing downwards on the spindle. Works when I teach kids that way :)

I do agree on the thinner spindle, though I watch the men forcing ones as thick as brushshafts around :confused: , and what is it with that huge long stick of a bow ??? :confused: We use little ones and they work reliably time after time after time......and with much less effort too. Generally we show the kids how to get their fingers around the string as well as the bow to tighten the grip on the spindle since if it's too tight to start with they can't get it into the string.

I do like Ivy for the hearth :D lasts for ages too :approve:
No idea how long it'll take to dry out, not that long in this heat I shouldn't have thought though. It can be split fairly thin and it'll still work. I know folks who use thin floorboards for their hearths and they're way less than 2cms thick.

Best of luck with it all :D

atb,
M

Hey Toddy I just found this great video done by a woman. It explains it much cleaer than anyone has to me before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxujVPiN6U
I had not realised the point was not to create as much heat as possible but to simply fill the notch with dust and ignite it with the last 14 strokes or so!

Pignut - its no use people were showing me all weekend and I stil didnt manage it nearly did with a cedar on cedar set but not quite.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Fair enough!

Ivy on ivy is the best combo I have used.

If your posture/ technique is corect you should just be able to rock back and forth to adjust the pressure on the drill, if you hear squeeking back off on the pressure...... When you think you have a coal... Drill about another 5 - 10 seconds... It will add a layer of dust atop your coal and give it something to bite!

Cheers

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I got smoke today, I went back to willow on sycamore. I think the ivy may not be dry enough. I got the smoke pressing down harder but more consistently, but I wasnt able to keep it up. Still, Im getting there.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
got a peice of horse chestnut you can have ago with if your a the midlands thing next weekend. It works really well with a hazel drill. had enough o make up 8 hearth boards so will bring one along if your there and want a try

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Thomson Seton claimed to have the world record of "thirty-one seconds from taking the sticks to having the fire ablaze".

What's the best time for anyone here?

Jim

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi Firecrest, personally i have found ivy to be the easiest of woods and a great wood for learners, the easiest combination i've found is hazel spindle/ivy hearth, i use a spindle about 2 to 2.5cm thick, hearth about the same, very often the failure is due to the bearing block and not the spindle/hearth, a limpet shell stuck in a block of wood makes an excellent bearing block is it creates little friction (you can just use the shell itself with a little practice), too much friction in bearing block is a common mistake and a shell/small bit of marble/glass jar or similar works wonders, with too much friction at bearing block it can slow down drill and hence string may slip because it's like putting a brake on your spindle from the top while using an accelerator with your bow, also pull/starter cord from garden machinery like mowers/chainsaws etc: is the best cord to use, make sure wood is completely dry and not green, leave in airing cupboard for a week or so from fresh cut. Check end of spindle and if glazed over/shiny black after attempt then remove glaze/rough up with knife or something before further attempt. Good luck.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thats quick!

Sounds like your getting there. Im trying out some hazle on ivy combos tomorrow. Should see if its as easy as lime on lime was. Going to raid the shell collection from the last trip to the coast for a limpet shell too.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Firecrest,

How easy is it to mark the Ivy hearth with your thumbnail? It follows the Goldilocks Rule. Not too hard and not too soft. I spent ages the other night trying with an Ivy spindle and hearth but failed to get an ember. Pressing my nail into the hearth hardley made a mark.

Another Ivy hearth left a more pronounced nail mark and worked first time. Sometimes your technique is fine and it IS actually the materials.

Lime and Lime is my favourite.

Good Luck.

Stu

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the statement "Ivy is a great board for learners", imho begginers should be learning on quite a hard board, I did mine on goats willow I think which was very tough, but it teaches you to get the technique right, the only thing stopping someone from getting an ember will be incorrect technique....................................firecrest have you seen the episode of Bushcraft by RM when he teaches Ray Godwinson how to do it??? Really good lesson there about persistance and technique, failing that download the A-Z bushcraft podcast or direct from the site "F is for fire" very good demo on there!, goodluck!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I'm beginning to suspect that the wood used for bowdrills is much like the wood used for wands in Harry Potter (bad anecdote I know!) Each wizard is suited to a paticular kind of wood and so it takes a while to find the right wand. Ive heard so many different opinions on what is the best woods to use, I think the bowdrill must have the same magical properties!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE