It's too hot.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I watched this film on youtube by mistake, but it does explain quite a few things that are going on, regarding the hot weather we are having lately, I can't vouch for the validity of it factually but it is a good film to watch, and to make up your own mind about.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
My garden is like an oven. The woods alongside are drooping. The willows are losing all their new tips.

It's silent too; even the birds are hiding from the heat.

Fires in this are a no, any physical effort is draining. I've been working in the garden and all I can taste on my upper lip is salt.

It has been a pleasure being out morning and evening however. It's cool at 5.30am :) and it's cool-ish again by 8pm and light enough that I can work outside until well after ten.

British weather...always sommat to complain about :rolleyes2:

How are you doing in it ?

M
I'm loving this heat. to be thoroughly comfortable in it and comfortable because I know how to keep both my place and myself cool. What I fear is the winter when I will be struggling to afford heating, for the lowest temperature I have recorded in my place was four degrees above freezing.

And given I know how to stay comfortable in hot climates I have been advising others of my methods - window coverings staying shut, cross draught in the house and soggy bandana around the neck.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's blessedly cool outside this morning :) 17.9˚C at 6am.

I have been keeping the sunside windows closed and covered, and creating cross draughts in the house, but when the temperature gets much above 24, then it really starts to become most uncomfortable.

We do freeze in Winter, it's normal for us to have repeated days and nights of freeze/thaw with weeks of hard frozen as well.
The house is well insulated, and the heating is efficient, it's more the moisture that we need to control, so I run dehumidifiers and they give off heat while pulling in excess moisture, so a win/win.

Not a lot of use in this weather though. The house is still at 23.4˚C this morning, and it's supposed to get up to 30˚C today. Can't say I'm much looking forward to it.

I live in an end terrace house (three in the block) with the garden wrapped right around and running alongside the woods and the burn. There's always some shade to be found in the garden as the Sun moves. I find myself chasing the shade around the house :) My neighbour in the middle though has no through access and her back garden is a sun trap. Her garden butts up against the end of the next block so she gets the heat reflected back off their gable wall too (white harled) and that really ups the ante. Their dog (alsation, huge furry one) is miserable just now.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I strongly recommend grape vines. My oldest cover 14' x 40', the west face of my house. Planted and pruned 24" out from the wall, the summer afternoon shade value is indescribable.

The critical point to be remembered about pruning grape vines? Cut off what you don't want. It's that much of a dark art.

When we got a "heat dome", in the shade it was +44C outside my front door.
Those afternoon vines were doing their job. I get leaves for dolmades and for tabouleh and the fruit. Best yield ever was 2013, I weighed 65 lbs per vine.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Herman30

Where I usually spend my time there are Alleys, tree lined roads and streets, and other sun protective objects.

I think it's always cooler in shorts but not every person can do that, because some would burn the skin.

I become very soon pretty brown if needed.

In south France I see mainly shorts in the summer.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mind and put water out for the birds.

I'm using big plant saucers and they're loving it :)

I just wash them out every morning with a spray of bleach, rinse and fill.
I’ve put out a couple of old style pub drinks trays filled with water after seeing a blackbird fly down to a drain cover yesterday only to find it bone dry. It’s obviously where he usually gets his water. Happy sparrows and blackbirds are splashing about in the garden.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I have a few Mountain Warehouse Isocool t shirts I wear for work in rotation.
Totally man made fibres but very hard wearing, they can't shed much fibres cos I've had em a few years now and they're still holding together well.
Gained a bit of paint, glue and so on over time but I can damp them down and wear them wet if needed or I sometimes just wear them from the washing machine without first hanging them to dry which is heaven on a hot day.
Think they were about a tenner each.
I've recently been working in a large warehouse but it has ground floor offices and we have been putting a floor (and other bits and bats) above those offices which means we're close to the matal roof which heats up a fair bit, plus they're plastering downstairs so its very humid and even with the massive roller shutter open there's very little airflow.
To be fair, our activity levels have eased off a fair bit and we're not knocking our pans in then we have been finishing a bit earlier and just taking a hit on our wages to get out of the oppressive heat.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@demographic
That's got to utterly miserable to work in with this weather. I think I'd knock off early too.

I bought a stash of North Face UV (I think it's 25 or 30, I know the hat is 40) protective shirts years ago in the factory sales. They have been worn and worked hard in, filthy and washed and worn a lot more, and they're still sound and looking good.
I didn't pay full price or even close to for them, but they would have been worth every penny if I had.

I am a fair skinned, with freckles and green eyes, Scot. I burn all too easily in the Sunshine, but I have never burnt with those shirts on.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
@demographic
That's got to utterly miserable to work in with this weather. I think I'd knock off early too.

I bought a stash of North Face UV (I think it's 25 or 30, I know the hat is 40) protective shirts years ago in the factory sales. They have been worn and worked hard in, filthy and washed and worn a lot more, and they're still sound and looking good.
I didn't pay full price or even close to for them, but they would have been worth every penny if I had.

I am a fair skinned, with freckles and green eyes, Scot. I burn all too easily in the Sunshine, but I have never burnt with those shirts on.
I go brown reasonably easy, if I'm working outside in the sin I slap a load of factor 30 on maybe twice a day and after about a week of that I've got to the point where I'll not burn and just get browner (or turn into a sun dried raisin, depending on how much I do it) but I'm still not a fan of the heat and would usually rather just avoid it.
It does warm the local rivers up nicely so its nice for a swim so its not all bad.
Plus I've been collecting the dried Poppy seedheads as I walk the dog and have been scattering the seeds over the local flood defence embankments which have recently been made a few feet higher.
With a bit of luck they'll look a bit nicer with a splash of colour.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Meant to say; Himself likes the Mountain Warehouse shirts, and trousers, too.
He walks 7-10 miles every day, but his walk is through the woods, along the overgrown river banks, hedges and fields, and it's rough on clothing. The MW stuff is not only comfortable, it lasts really well, and it's very reasonably priced too, especially if you use the discount codes. Like you he goes a rich brown. Right now his arms are almost mahogany coloured while I'm a sort of milky tea despite trying to slowly build up enough tan so that I no longer burn if I'm out for longer than ten minutes in the Sunshine.

I was just commenting this morning about how much fun I'm finding it seeing the assortment of poppies I scattered last year popping up in odd places :) Bright cheerful things to spot.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Inuit-Style-Snow-Goggles--I.jpg

Winter is coming...

Reactions: Toddy and Erbswurst

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Typical that school finished on the day it starts to get unsunny again. I like big suns out all day. Big hot suns. Lots of insects.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Oh, you have so hot?! Here it has been cool for at least a week now.

Latest observation: Sa 24.7. 18:50

Temperature 17.6 ℃
Dewpoint 10.1 ℃
Humidity 62 %
Wind 5 m/s
Wind direction west wind (280°)
Wind gusts 7 m/s
Precipitation 0 mm (17:00-18:00)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Rain last night and a cooler day today thank goodness. Only 17°c .
I was having 40° in the shade, let alone at the top of the garden..
Yesterday my phone overheated, and shut down. I had to put it in the fridge to recover. Wished I could have fitted in myself too!
I love hot, but it was getting silly hot.
I even had to wear a dress to attempt to keep cool!..shock horror!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Inuit snow goggles work really well. Wombats on the Bogong High Plains in Victoria, Australia sometimes go snow blind in the winters. So bad that they can't see you coming.

That's where I learned to shut my mouth. A day of breathing hard and I sunburnt the roof on my mouth. Just once.

As you know, any sunlight reflected off a non-metallic surface is polarized.
Water, snow, paint, all the same. Polaroid lenses cut that glare to nothing.
Find those, the ones that have neutral density brightness filter as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE