A wander down the burn path

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oddly, Bivibabe said she thought they were Hazel, to which I replied.."Naa, Toddy is bound to know what hazel looks like, must be something else....." :lmao:
The leaves are huge on these ones though, easily bigger than the palm of my hand. Be good if they take well though, I get Beechnuts a wee bit further round, Hazels on my doorstep so to speak would be excellent :D

cheers,
Mary

P

Pcwizme

Looks a lovely area toddy,
My "Local" area for walking is a Rubbish Dump, or rather was. Capped off in the 50's and grassed over, 50% Golf corse the rest is a nature reserve type are with a sailing lake. The local wildlife is lovely. I'm thinking im going to get a few photos taken and show them off on here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Toddy

Ryecroft

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 26, 2007
North Shropshire
What a lovely area, and the fact that it is right on your doorstep usually means that you take it for granted, but it is really nice that you enjoy this area every day.

I had a similar path at my old house and the council decided to develop that, and despite my pleas, complaints and rants, they continued to develop. I am really pleased that the houses they built didnt sell and sit empty now. The council stated in their UDP (unitary development plan if my memory serves me right) that they will endeavour to develop brown-field sites before any green-field sites would even be considered. I got so disillusioned with the council I moved out of the borough, so that I wouldnt have to pay them any more council tax!

You are right Mary, these green areas are fantastic and make this countryside great, and it sounds like you and your neighbours really benefit from this area.

If only councils realised that a walk in a local green space can relieve stress and help people to relax far more efficiently, and in a healthier way than prescribing drugs or giving people therapy. These areas are as important as a doctors surgery to some.

I was camping in Scotland a few years back and bumped into one of the leading experts in depression, and his advice to beat the blues was to eat plenty of fruit and veg and get out into the countryside for a walk as often as you can. This is what councils and local authorities forget :(. Rant over (sorry).

I would love to find some pignuts, I have never found one, what do they taste like Mary?

Thanks for showing us that lovely escape, and photos of the cat too! Keep on enjoying:thankyou:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pcwizme that sounds like another good area :D It never fails to amaze me how the living world fills all the little spaces it can with growing things :cool: and how quickly land can regain it's cloak of greenery.

I think pignuts taste a bit like crunchy waterchestnuts. They're one of the old famine foods, rich in starch. It think it was Xylaria who said she was trying to see if she could grow them in pots.

cheers,
M

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
What a lovely area you live in. Typical that someone wants to spoil it. I seems to me that where some people see beauty,peace and the earth spirit thriving, others see profit at the cost of it all. I sincerely hope you do not lose too much of that gorgeous habitat.:grouphug:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
For those who may not have heard:

These cycle paths are an easy *route* to this kind of environment.

Many are based on old railways and so have a similar feel to Toddy's lovely path.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE