is there such a thing as a

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
light weight bergan?

the reason i ask is i am trying to go light weight cos when i went to scotland the one thing i noticed was all my gear was heavy weight and well i plann to do more light weight stuff.

so because i apersulutly love the issue bergan and it fits me perfectly i was woundering is there a light weight version or do i just give up an start from scratch with light weight kit

E.i buy a new rucksack and sleeping bag and under quilt

because at the moment i have a snug pack underblanket
a snugpack antarctica re
and a standerd issue bergan and well i cant seem to fit all my gear in anything else

drew

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nope, no such thing as an issue Bergen 'light' :D..

There are plenty of 'lightweight' civvy ruckies out there but "The lighter the bag, the heavier the price tag."

I use a bergen too, there's something reassuring about it's weight I find.:)

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
For a night out i just chuck my sleeping bag in the bivi bag, roll it up, prussik knot around the whole arrangement, tie the ends together and carry it over your shoulder.

Stick a sandwich in your pocket, knife round your kneck and water bottle hooked to your belt.

Then your good for a night out lightweight.

For a few days longer just lash your billy onto the bivi roll and stick a packet of bacon, some veggies and beef in the billy and your in for two comfy nights out.

Light as you like =]

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 issue bergen is 5lb i think empty? i take a hooped bivi bag in the hills, hamock kit in the forest
if you have the money go for new lightweight kit in your issue bergen as they'l last longer than a goretex ripstop civvy bergen.
ive got a snugpack ?kestrel sleaping bag, neo air mat, cotton bag liner(want silk)
all fits. food & water, survival items, headtorch map camera etc
this is loosly my hill walking kit but my backs crap so i may be recomending a wrong en?
lightweight is good but pricey, jetboil n rations over a days walk, samwichs under a day.
an apple for survival rations!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Drew,

I'd look at the sleeping bag and sleeping system you are using as the first port of call for weight reduction.
That sleeping bag is pretty bulky ( but granted its warm) along with an under blanket... Etc.

Looking at that will likey reduce weight and bulk.. So what you end up with will be less bulky and may end up fitting into a smaller capacity rucksack than the issue Bergen.

There are heaps of threads on here giving tips how to shed weight out of a pack load of kit that's perceived to be needed.

But fundamentally if the kit you are using is heavy and bulky then your limited to how you can shift it around.

HTH

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You need to look at the big three Drew, rucksack, shelter and sleep system, get those three as light as you can afford and you're nearly there.

You'll want a sub 1kg pack if you can afford it, lots to chose from but you're looking at around 60-70 litres for that kind of weight. Can you cope with that kind of volume? ULA/GoLite/OMM/SixMoons/Osprey are a few to look at if you want to go really light.

Your shelter can be your tarp, I use a tent/tarp hybrid which gives me 50sq ft of floorspace for less than 500g.

The sleep system is probably your biggest spend, ideally you want down rather than synthetic but you could trim down and use a synth bag rated to the current season. As you like Snugpak have a look at their Softie 3 Merlin bag, 750g and rated to 5*c or 0 if you're a warm sleeper.

In all honesty though mate you've got some decent gear but it's all heavy duty, I used to have a similar setup until I saw the light :) I was carrying 18-20kg for a weekend trip, now it's more like 7kg. What's your current load weigh, have you got a target weight in mind?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Shewie my current weight is just short of 26kg this includes food and water
And my rucksack is 3kg now my Target wait is 10 kg including food and water and still be hammocking if that's possible

Drew

What is the other 23kg comprised of???

Sleeping bag circa 3kg
Underblanket circa 1.5 kg

Etc.....

Last edited:

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
3kg for rucksack
2.5 kg for sleeping bag
1.8 kg for tarp plus ridge and string and pegs of dont know
crusader mug and nato britsh bottle and steel lid of well i still dont know and i love its bomb proof ness
3 kg for swedish armt trangia stove plus bits inside
and thats just for starters

under blanket 1.2 kg
and dont know about the rest

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yep or it was according to mums digital scales and that's the steel version I have

Then you have areas where you can make improvements pretty much straight away.

As the kit you have is fairly bulky then if you stick with it you'll need to have a backpack that can accommodate it. When it comes to 100l plus rucksacks then they are all pretty heavy weight.

If I was in the same position I'd look at the following:

Lighter less bulky sleeping bag
Id question if the advantages of hammocking are worth the weight + bulk penalty vs ground dwelling.
I'd look for a lighter more efficient cooking set up.

Once I'd reduced bulk and weight in this kit I'd look at a different rucksack.
But I guess it depends on what you are aiming on doing... If the aim is to do some multi day trips backpacking then I'd look to get my pack weight down to a reasonable level.

If you're going to be mainly doing short walk ins to a fixed fairly static type of meet etc then I'd personally just run with what you have as it currently works for you.

My 2 cents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE