Is there really any need for camoflage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I somehow missed Stringmaker's comment, but I like it a lot. That would apply for my use of materials, too.

I did use camo myself, when I started out, but quickly ditched it, because it didn't feel right. To me wearing camo is not just about blending in or getting it cheap. You can do that with olives, greens and browns just as easily, too. It is more of a (agressive) statement. Bit like "I'm not one of you citysuckers"-anti establishment-kind of thing. And I believe those people know that all too well, too. I used to be one of them for a while.....

So, therefor I have to agree with the OP's statement, that it is not needed in the woods as such.

Would I judge someone for wearing it, mixed in with other things? No, for who am I to do so? He/she might just like it, have gotten it for free, has no sources to get something else...
Would I raise an eyebrow if someone came running through the woods, all dressed up in camouflage and combats? Yes, I would and probably step aside too. Why? Read my above comment.

But at the end it's all about choices..... and we'd all be a lot better off if we respected each other's....

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
Color vision varies with individual species but generally birds see in full color and I think JonathonD will verify that many reptiles see (or sense) colors beyond the spectrum humans are capable of.

don't hunters in america have to wear a fluorescant (or at least brightly coloured) jacket? they still manage all right

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
I have my regular dog walkers who use one of the trails not far from my base camp, I've got to know them over the years.
There was fear expressed initially when I first met them, it was not the dpm the students were wearing that caused this but the knives on their belts and other sharps.

Olive green clad bushcrafters or people in jeans and shirts carrying knives has the same effect.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
I think we're missing the real discussion point here. Which is it worse to be thought of as:

Wannabee Rambo; or
Wannabee Mears

Discuss :)

Rat

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I'm sure I read an article some years ago about 'colour pollution' on the hill in the Lake District. The author was concerned about the brightly coloured waterproofs clashing with the greenery - I reckon that was back when flourescent orange was the choice of most weekend walkers.

Most of my stuff is coyote & OG for outdoors stuff - camping, fishing, dog walking & 'bushcrafting', it drives the missus mad!!! The camo fad has been taken over by carp anglers nowadays.

As for people & who wears what, I've had a lot more lip from the hoody brigade than from camo wearers that's for sure....

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I'm sure I read an article some years ago about 'colour pollution' on the hill in the Lake District. The author was concerned about the brightly coloured waterproofs clashing with the greenery - I reckon that was back when flourescent orange was the choice of most weekend walkers.

Most of my stuff is coyote & OG for outdoors stuff - camping, fishing, dog walking & 'bushcrafting', it drives the missus mad!!! The camo fad has been taken over by carp anglers nowadays.

As for people & who wears what, I've had a lot more lip from the hoody brigade than from camo wearers that's for sure....

I think the reason for hi viz hiking clothing is safety - easier to spot an injured person on a hill if they're wearing day glo orange. I suspect the wildlife and nature actually doesn't give a monkeys and would prefer it if you were easily visible. Then you can't sneak up on it...

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley

I think I recall that. Brightly coloured waterproofs spoiling many a good photo.

The flip-side of sympathetic colour choice would be being found after an accident in the hills.

roybmx

Jan 25, 2010
Japan
Living where I do and being the only "gaijin" around, it doesn't matter what I wear, they look at me whatever. but when I go into the fjallraven shop and see an olive wool jumper for 30,000 yen which is about 230 pounds, and I can order a surplus one from the UK for 15 pounds, then I know what I am going to choose.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm sorry but all I can read of the op is a request for folk to stop wearing cammo or too much olive green clothing in order not to upset the general public.
I'm reading it as if all the men should have a neat short haircut and not a shaven head or long hair,just to be in the middle ground and not scaring the bejeezus out of others for example.

I don't intend to be argumentative but I can only see intolerance of an individual's choice of attire and a desire to dictate what they should be leaning toward.

I apologise if this upsets you Vyvsdad but I've read and re-read your op and that is all I can see in it.
It may stem from my youth when authority tried to dictate to me, how I should dress to conform.
I rebelled at that with vigour.

Tom

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I think I recall that. Brightly coloured waterproofs spoiling many a good photo.

The flip-side of sympathetic colour choice would be being found after an accident in the hills.

Aye - true, but that's when you finally get to use the dayglo orange survival bag in your rucksack that's only ever used for sitting on or sledging down snowy hillsides!!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
don't hunters in america have to wear a fluorescant (or at least brightly coloured) jacket? they still manage all right

It varies from state to state but generally NO. Not on private land. They are only required when hunting on PUBLIC land and even then only for intensive hunting seasons such as squirrel season or during large game seasons (NOT waterfowl or doves) and most large game is indeed colorblind but so what? Deer are often hunted by driving them to the shooter with dogs or by hunting from an elevated blind. Even then, safety vests aren't required during archery hunting season, only during gun seasons.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Jesus, I'm fed up with my own thread....I'm well aware that many people who do live in the countryside do wear it but then again many do not, wearing instead the modern one use unisex option. Jeans...Now, as we all know jeans are pretty bad in a bushcraft situation, but you know what? I've worn then plenty of times and I've survived to tell the tale...

Yeah we've all read and discussed that at some point, "jeans are bad." Yet I haven't found anything that beats them here. It's a hot, wet climate (generally) I hear so many people who claim that cotton (and that's what denem is) doesn't dry well. So What? NOTHING dries here. No, the high tech manufacturers' claims to the contrary simply aren't true. When you spend your time wading rivers, streams, swamps, an the ocean in an area with 85% humidity or greater, you're going to be wet and just accept it as normal. But then when it's 90 degrees farenheight, who cares? Wool certainly isn't an option in the real heat; or when in deep water for that matter.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah we've all read and discussed that at some point, "jeans are bad." Yet I haven't found anything that beats them here. It's a hot, wet climate (generally) I hear so many people who claim that cotton (and that's what denem is) doesn't dry well. So What? NOTHING dries here. No, the high tech manufacturers' claims to the contrary simply aren't true. When you spend your time wading rivers, streams, swamps, an the ocean in an area with 85% humidity or greater, you're going to be wet and just accept it as normal. But then when it's 90 degrees farenheight, who cares? Wool certainly isn't an option in the real heat; or when in deep water for that matter.

Sounds grim, I thought Florida was supposed to be nice :) You should come and live in Yorkshire for a while, it's usually wet here too :)

It sounds like a jungle approach is needed with spare clothes for night time when it's cooled down?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE