Is there really any need for camoflage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sounds grim, I thought Florida was supposed to be nice :) You should come and live in Yorkshire for a while, it's usually wet here too :)

It sounds like a jungle approach is needed with spare clothes for night time when it's cooled down?

LOL. It is nice. I just CHOOSE to do the outdoor thing. I enjoy it. BTW those temperatures I mentioned; they ARE at night. Or at least they will be in another month.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
LOL. It is nice. I just CHOOSE to do the outdoor thing. I enjoy it. BTW those temperatures I mentioned; they ARE at night. Or at least they will be in another month.

I was in Mexico once just before a storm came through, I've never experienced heat and humidity like it before. Then again we were in NY once, 40* and 100% humidity, zero air flow and too many folk walking in the opposite direction, I very nearly had a Falling Down moment

falling_down.jpg

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Hopefully to end this thread: In the words of the late great Tommy Cooper " I went to buy some camouflage clothing yesterday, couldn't find any" Just Like That

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Wasn't there a kid refused entry to Jamaica on holiday cos he was wearing a camo t-shirt ? Family holiday etc ? (Prince Harry managed it in them blue suede shoes !):)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I was in Mexico once just before a storm came through, I've never experienced heat and humidity like it before. Then again we were in NY once, 40* and 100% humidity, zero air flow and too many folk walking in the opposite direction, I very nearly had a Falling Down moment

falling_down.jpg

I take it that was 4-* C?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yup sorry, 40*C

Which ain't that hot all things considered but the lack of airflow from the buildings and the humidity made it awful, walking out of an air conditioned hotel onto the street was like walking into a sauna

LOL. It's hot enough. I just did the conversion and it's 104 F.

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
British Millitary clothing, is not too bad, but equipment in general is poor, it's made on mass by the cheapest bidder. Hence you find the guys buying their own equipment, boots, Bergans, daysacks. There are very few items that are decent. As for the U.S. uniforms they are all made in Federal Prisons by the prisoners.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is no NEED for camo ...
REAL Bushcrafters will make their own clothing from the skins of wild animals they have trapped - THE BEST NATURAL CONCEALMENT that you can get - dress like a wild animal! Check out Bushcraft Betty's top tips about the use of rabbit skins...
It might raise a few more eyebrows amongst the general public though :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
British Millitary clothing, is not too bad, but equipment in general is poor, it's made on mass by the cheapest bidder. Hence you find the guys buying their own equipment, boots, Bergans, daysacks. There are very few items that are decent. As for the U.S. uniforms they are all made in Federal Prisons by the prisoners.

Actually no. A great deal of original issue is made by Federal Prision Industries, Industries for the blind, and a few other similar choice suppliers. Not too long ago there was a scandal because Army berets were contracted to a Chinese manufacturer. But that's mostly original issue. However after initial issue you're expected to use your annual clothing allowance to buy it at the Military Clothing Sales Store as it wears out. The Clothing Sales Store stocks those same issue items plus those manufactured by commercial companies for AAFES (Army-Air Force Exchange Service) and NEX (Navy Exchange Service and MCEX (Marine Corps Exchange Service) as well as CGEX (Coast Guard Exchange Service) under DoD contract.

The only difference I ever noticed between the quality of the issue items vs the AAFES contract items was in fit and color. The materials (for BDU or fatigues) were all the same under contract specs; dress uniform materials were better with contract items though.

Some uniform items are never issued at all; mess dress for example.

Last edited:

Smudge

Forager
Jan 20, 2004
West Midlands
Bushcraft fashion police?

I don't wear cammo (Grays, Greens, Browns are my perference) even when I was payed to wear it I felt uncomfortable in public, that said I see enough people about town and walking the streets wearing cammo jackets and such I honestly don't think too many people care.

udamiano

On a new journey
There is no NEED for camo ...
REAL Bushcrafters will make their own clothing from the skins of wild animals they have trapped - THE BEST NATURAL CONCEALMENT that you can get - dress like a wild animal! Check out Bushcraft Betty's top tips about the use of rabbit skins...
It might raise a few more eyebrows amongst the general public though :D

:yikes: I totally refuse to wear that John, besides it'll make be bum look big and where do i put me change :rofl::rofl:

I'll just leave you with that mental picture :theyareon

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE