Is there really any need for camoflage?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I was out in a three piece suit the other day looking for adders. Got some strange looks then for sure. It was such a perfect day I couldn't pass up the opportunity though.

Ha, good for you. My friend and I have agreed, if we ever win the lottery we'll do all our bushcrafting and camping in Dumb and Dumber style tuxedos! Lol

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I wear earth colours all the time, in the wood or the high street.

The only bright clothes I wear are the costumes I work in.

For me it's a hang over of my early days as a landscape photographer using film.

I cannot count the number of times I missed the light while waiting for some goon in a fluorescent orange cagoule to walk out of my picture in the days before photoshop.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I'll tell you what I have a problem with: people trying to dictate to others what they should wear , or purchase or use (a common theme on here unfortunately)

It would be a very boring all planet if we all shipped up wearing the same clothes ( in case we meet someone walking a spaniel & cause mild anxiety)

If that's all you have to worry about you're a very lucky man :)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'll tell you what I have a problem with: people trying to dictate to others what they should wear , or purchase or use (a common theme on here unfortunately)

It would be a very boring all planet if we all shipped up wearing the same clothes ( in case we meet someone walking a spaniel & cause mild anxiety)

If that's all you have to worry about you're a very lucky man :)

Hear hear. Well said that man.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
From a practical point of view if you're scrabbling around the woods building shelters, gathering firewood or sitting around the fire having a few cans with the boys then you just want clothing that is comfy and hard wearing and offers the right amount of protection for the prevailing conditions.

That could be a bright orange goretex jacket or a sneaky beaky 'SAS' Smock.

The difference with the gear standard of Bushcraft over say hillwalking and backpacking is that IME the hill walking and backpacking crowd actively shun army surplus kit and use in the main regular outdoor kit. Bushcraft accepts military kit and often holds it up as exemplars of form and function. An example of this is the Crusader Mug and NATO Water bottle.

I do agree with Shewie that in reality the argument that Surplus stuff is cheap and disposable is a bit of myth. You can get second hand civvy stuff of equal and in most cases better quality for the same sort of money and good quality surplus kit does cost.

Personally none of it matters really. Getting out and enjoying yourself is the key.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
As per usual i think it depends on the area and enviroment.

I know if i was seen in some areas of both the UK and Greece in DPM then it would attract a lot of suspicion.
Other areas not many would blink an eye.

Can't honestly say as it bothers me what people wear.

What gets me though is people harping on about how great ex-MOD stuff is, there are a few bits that are ok but in my experience 99% is crap.
It's cheap crap that's made to a strict price control that needs to last a certain length of time in certain environments.

The NI rucksack is a prime example, i'd sooner sling a Tesco's bag on my back than do a 10 mile hike with one.
Sure they're cheap, but then if your off work for 2 days after every hike with a bad back it's a false philosophy, plus your often buying used so it's no good comparing a used MOD prices with new Civvy prices.

I do understand that for some folks the ex-MOD kit is "good enough" for their needs, "good enough" some how turns into some evangelical preaching about how it's the best stuff since sliced bread.
If someone lugs 10kg of kit 2 miles from the car and back, they can't in good conscience "recommend" the same rucksack for someone that's taking off on a 3 day trek with 20kg of kit covering 10 miles a day, can they.
Yet i see this on a regular basis.

What makes it worse is peoples intentions are good, they're really trying to help and advise people.
But with a hobby as diverse as ours here we really to need to take care what we are "advising", we should also be clear and concise as to the other options we've tried similar.
As an example it's no good saying "the NI pack is the best pack i've ever used" if it's the only one you've used.

So i have no problem with DPM stuff but i have seen a fair bot of this evangelical ex-MOD singing which i personally believe needs to be put into a context.

Cheers
Mark

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
As it has already been said,getting out and enjoying yourself is the key,I have one item of camo and thats a windproof smock,I wear when around a fire.Didnt really like the stuff when I was in the forces.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I'm not one for judging what people wear - that's their business. I have been wearing dpm daily for over 20 years, I even go out
for a meal with my wife wearing it - in fact I am wearing dpm right now. I do not consider myself as a Rambo wannabe or a soldier of fortune.
It is simply what I like to wear and it is cheap. I personally don't give a rats hoot what people think - they judge me when they meet me.
I suppose when wearing my olive green clothes (woolpower, country innovations smock and trousers etc) I may look like a wannabe bushcrafter - who cares. :)

Well said, totally agree. Wear DPM if you want and when you want. Best to be an individual and not follow the crowd.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like the thread title ... "Is there realy any need for camoflage?" ...
notice the spelling of "camoflage"
The dictionary spells it with a "u" - "camouflage"
Does the lack of a "U" mean that the OP considers camo to be "Non - U"
Or is it "U is not in comouflage is u mate?"
Or "Camouflage is not realy U sir"
Or "camouflage does not realy need u"
or is it ...
boy - that beer is strong tonight!

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
I sure am a victim of wearing the old 95 DPM camo. I often wear camouflage trousers, never full DPM though.

I just see them as practical they are comfortable, can put up with hard use and just generally good. Another reason why I wear camouflage is to blend in to the countryside, not to hide from civillians. Instead to allow me to happily see the nature around me without scaring it off nor disturbing it.

Of course full camouflage can be a bit daunting for the general public, but nothing to worry about.

Mr Finch

Aug 16, 2011
Hampshire, UK
but wich nife is best?

The one that's in your hand whne you need to cut something!

Personally I do have some camo gear, a windproof smock I was given, an old old old DPM jacket (mostly for round the fire) and my bergen. I don't hike great distances any more so don't need to worry about the weight of the bergen.

I have orange guy lines (and purple prussiks) (because I can and they get tripped over less on Scout camps!) on my tarp and I wear Berghaus boots (in red).

I don't have any need to hide, but do have a really tight budget (which I managed to stretch to buying an mKettle today).

My thought? Each to their own, it's whatever you're comfortable with. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE