Is it the Moon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can now se why the moon is gradually edging away from plannet earth and its occupants.......
Cat pee in a quantum/philosphic/religeo/scientific/bushy debate?
Sheer Magic!:notworthy :cool: :beerchug:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Out of interest how many moons do the astronomers believe we have at the moment? I saw something on Q.I. that there are 2 but they do tend to change their mind again two episodes later.
I figured out one more problem and reason for stressed behaviour. It is the 15th hence 2 weeks from pay day and 2 weeks til payday. Therefore I suggest that all work and no new shiny knives are making the bushcrafter a trollish man.
One further thought has just occured to me - do any light sleepers find it harder to sleep on bright full moon nights?

P.S. Is the cat in a birchbark box - that would surely lower its chances? :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Out of interest how many moons do the astronomers believe we have at the moment? I saw something on Q.I. that there are 2 but they do tend to change their mind again two episodes later.
I figured out one more problem and reason for stressed behaviour. It is the 15th hence 2 weeks from pay day and 2 weeks til payday. Therefore I suggest that all work and no new shiny knives are making the bushcrafter a trollish man.
One further thought has just occured to me - do any light sleepers find it harder to sleep on bright full moon nights?

P.S. Is the cat in a birchbark box - that would surely lower its chances? :)
the earth has either one or five but the one mentioned on QI was 3753 Cruithne. I'd say we have enought to deal with just the one..:)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Schrödinger's cat is by his own word “quite ridiculous “ he borrowed the idea from an ancient Sankhya Hindu paradox, the experiment is simple enough in itself. cat in a box with a diabolical device, 50--50 chance of triggering the device in one hour, is the cat alive or dead? The only way to know is open the box. Sure fine in theory, but if after an hour the device is triggered the cat is dead whether or not “you” know it. The cat isn’t alive until you open the box, it’s dead, an ex cat, there is nothing uncertain about the dead cat. If the device doesn’t trigger, then the cat is alive, even if “you” don’t know it. The cat knows it is alive and in a box.

Hive mind.....I forsee a problem with that, as half the hive don't understand the other half :D

This needs to be clarified a little. shrodingers cat was a metaphor to illustrate how sub atomic particles work in relation to a theory called quantum superposition - that is that all particles exist in every possible position available to them until measured. Measuring them collapses the quantum wave into a fixed state. When two electrons are fired through a choice of 2 gates, they behave as a wave and pass through both gates at exactly the same time and register in two places at once. It is possible for electrons to smear themselves over time and be anywhere at once. when the experiment is measured, the particle can only be observed passing through one gate at a time. A bacterium has since been fired at massive speed and quantum superposition observed, thus showing that if something larger than the sub atomic can behave in this way, the cat is indeed both alive and dead.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unless it peed on the ember?

Could we make it the Bushcrafters cat..?

There is a big cat in a British Woodland...and a bowdrill ember...and a 50/50 chance of a forest fire that would incinerate the big cat (that may or may not exist to begin with), plus the tinders damp.....

:D

Red

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Schrödinger's cat is by his own word “quite ridiculous “ he borrowed the idea from an ancient Sankhya Hindu paradox, the experiment is simple enough in itself. cat in a box with a diabolical device, 50--50 chance of triggering the device in one hour, is the cat alive or dead? The only way to know is open the box. Sure fine in theory, but if after an hour the device is triggered the cat is dead whether or not “you” know it. The cat isn’t alive until you open the box, it’s dead, an ex cat, there is nothing uncertain about the dead cat. If the device doesn’t trigger, then the cat is alive, even if “you” don’t know it. The cat knows it is alive and in a box. <Snip

Everybody knows the cat is dead, because nobody mentioned air holes.
big-and-large-smiley-grim-reaper-smiley-5137.gif

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Seems as the discussion seems to be going ok and nobody is offended , Ill give my two cents on the matter.

A few people have mentioned that science explains the how and not the why, as though the why is a question beyond science, and answerable by other areas, such as religion. I do not believe this is the case, and I trust nobody who thinks they have the answer - nobody on earth knows any better than you do yourself!
Religion has no answers in regards to "why" in my opinion no better than science at least. This is an arguement from incredulity. a "God of the Gaps" Basically, just because we do not have an answer for something does not mean the answer lies in the supernatural or is beyond our comprehension. The more we find out about the universe that created us, the smaller the gaps keep getting. First of all god created anything in seven days, then we proved this was false, , the universe created this, but then god created manand he gave us a purpose. Then this gap gets smaller because most rationally thinking people observe we are a species of ape.
So now all that is left is the reason for existence since the process of existence is pretty much explained, thus the gap to squeeze the creator into has shrunk. What is to say it will not shrink further?

And science, is not a religion. It is not a religion for several important points.
Science is based on scientific method. Theories begin as hypothesis which are rigorously tested and peer reviewed. If the theory repeatedly yields correctly predicted results it is generally held to be correct. If the theory works better than an existing theory, scientists will change what they previously believed to be correct.
None of this is so about a religion. A religion is not based on tests, peer review or theory. Unlike science, religion tends to predict absolute accuracy with its ideas because it is based on revelation not logical theory. It is a fact muhammed is the prophet, it is a fact jesus was the son of god. It is a fact krishna exists, so much so many people are prepared to die for their belief which they hold to be 100% correct. If a fact comes along that disproves a religious aspect, then many religious do not disband their old belief and update it, they simply ignore the evidence. Hence, definitely not, is science a religion.

Now of course, you get the grey areas, because essensially we are all human beings. Many people who follow religions will disagree with aspects of it, and will modify their beliefs and many scientists become so entrenched in a theory they spend all their lives trying to prove it, ignoring the probability they are wrong.

So what about l mysticism? Theism and Atheism can be seen as a spectrum, it has two very polar opposites but it also blurs together in the middle with pantheism, or universal sentience , and the two ideas become essencially the same thing - A sense of wonder.
There may or may not be a why to being, science and religion only take us so far with the questions they ask never mind the answers they give, like I said before, nobody is going to tell us the answers, perhaps their is no point in asking the questions. I think we should enjoy it while it lasts, and I'm bothered by the Alpha courses recently ad campaign on the side of the bus which shows a man on a mountain saying "Is there more to life than this?"

How much more do you want?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
My head hurts,I'm going outside to find some scenery I understand nature.......mostly
well if your brain is hurting just remember that if quantum theory is correct, somewhere there is another you who's brain isnt hurting. :D

It may or may not have a handlebar mustache to.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
well if your brain is hurting just remember that if quantum theory is correct, somewhere there is another you who's brain isnt hurting. :D

It may or may not have a handlebar mustache to.
he will both have a handlebar moustache, and not have a handlebar moustache, and somewhere at the same time he will be a she. The moustache on the girl is undecided :D

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
There's already two of me inside this head does that mean there's four of us here?
WE are definitley going for a walk now.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm bothered by the Alpha courses recently ad campaign on the side of the bus which shows a man on a mountain saying "Is there more to life than this?"

How much more do you want?

I completely agree, if you can get to a top of mountian and not be bowled over by the shear wonder of natural world, whether you think what you are looking is created by an outside force, is a marvel of elovltion or a inherant global soul, you have kind of missed the point if anyone can ask is there more. Even if the meaning of that point is obscure it is still wonderful.
So is bushcraft a religion? or a science? There is something about nature that gets the soul.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
actually wait, I think if we go by George Carlins definition of a religion - That all religions require a hat of some sort, then yes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE