Is it possible to live without cooked food?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A follow on from the Vegetarian thread.

(And yes, we will allow things like lime juice to marinade fish or meat in.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think so, if you had a choice of the food you ate with an eye to digestibility and care with your teeth.

Unripe apple juice works to marinate/soften foods too, so you wouldn't need to import limes.

If you crack and soak grains, they'll ferment and soften too. Peas if soaked will sprout. Fish often doesn't need to be cooked to be edible, and meat can be pounded to break down the fibres…..loss of energy to gain protein there though.

Salads are a classic no cook too :)

Not everything works to give full benefit however. We're very fortunate and have no famine situation and loads of choice.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes. For some foods its preferable not to cook them as cooking destroys nutrients. In others, cooking renders them safe(r) to eat - celandine and pork spring to mind. In yet more it renders food palatable. Could you do it? Yes. Would I want to? No

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Raw food diet?.......c'mon, isnt that just TRYING to be awkward

Talk about first world problems :rolleyes:

But when someone comes round you just plop the veg & fruit basket in front of them. What could be easier. No awkward preparing of food at all. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But when someone comes round you just plop the veg & fruit basket in front of them. What could be easier. No awkward preparing of food at all. :D

Can I hand them a fork and point to the field?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well given that our species has been around longer than cooked food has, I think the presumption has to be yes, you certainly can live without cooked food.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Well said GB.

I don't entertain vegetarians at home, lets be honest, most are a tin short of a four pack. One of my sister in laws is a vegetarian so when she comes to ours I'll only cook macaroni cheese, cauliflower cheese, jacket spud with beans et al...she eats it while her poor husband gets stuck into the meat dishes on offer.

Raw food for me is the likes of a cheese sandwich broadly speaking.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I don't want to. Cooking many things produces Maillard reactions to give the food a more appetising appearance and taste.
Cooked/hot foods have many more interesting smells as well. I just can't get excited about a cold breakfast any more.
I guess I'd do all that but I have the luxury of choice.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
but think of the longevity a raw food diet gives you

gollum-eats-fish.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Though raw fruit & veg is nice and healthy it takes a lot of energy for your body to process it, meaning you have to eat more and take longer doing it. Prof Alice Roberts did a good program on the difference of raw & cooked food a while back.
There's also the school.of thought that this increased calorie intake helped fuel the evolution of our brains as it needs a huge amount of calories to fuel it.
I like raw food and eat a lot of it, but it makes it a lot easier on the body to process it externally. That doesn't mean starting a fire though. Using acid like citrus on fish or meat works and some nomadic tribes as well as the famous steak tartar had a specially built saddle that raw meat was slipped into and the action of the pounding saddle and the chemicals in the horse sweat changed/cooked the meat. Raw veg, fruit, fish & shell fish are all lovely though. We just don't seem to trust them much yet in this country.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
See the comment in today, Tuesdays Guardian re theevolutionary benefits of cooking and preserving food in response to the WHO announcement about preserved foods. Cannot wait for the thread on that one !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed, what a really sloppy bit of reporting that was! Talk about no attempt to interpret or reassure

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Yes, any vague attempt to be scientific or analytical would have been welcome, but its always the same Red, sensationalism sells. We get the papers we deserve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE