Is it me or is it boring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Ok I am not a Brit so maybe I am missing something here but I can not understand why you get so excited about Ray Mears latest TV programme. I know some of you almost worship him and give him iconic status so in the vain hope of understanding it all I have purchased the DVD's of some of his old stuff and these are pretty darn good but this new series I find is very slow and tiresome, its not even very educational.

Am I missing the point, what does all this jungle travel have to do with Britian? Or am I missing something, are you all likely to emmigrate to the jungle next week?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
If the programmes only were in Britain terrain (or any other woodland) it would be too boring, I think. :wink: There would simply not be enough stuff to tell and show. I also think it has something to do with discovering other cultures... :wink:

If I remember right, there's always a survival story in the show too?! :roll: :) I think these mostly happen in extreme regions such as the jungle, arctic, desert, mountains and the no. 1 killer of them all: the sea.

The jungle killer is different kinds of diseases and dangerous animals. The arctic killer is hypothermia and cold. The desert killer is need of water and heat. I don't know how the mountain "kills" but the sea is drowning and dehydration, I think. IMO. :biggthump

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
Zac,
almost fell asleep watching tonights episode, I guess it's cos I already know how to put a hammock, use a machete etc etc, yawn.
I think he has nothing new left to show us, just all the old stuff recycled.

Frogo

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I guess it's like any personality on tv that has 'introduced' a section of the public to things they hadn't considered before. Once you're familiar with that person you're more open to them taking you to places that either you can't get to, or aren't likely to for whatever reason, through your television screen.
Bushcraft is about the concept of living in tune with your environment and I get the impression that this series is more about that than explaining practical skills.
So, be it in Britain or anywhere else, people are generally interested to learn about other ways of life, particularly from a bushcraft point of view.

Understand your views though.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
The Jungle is the most diverse place in flora and fauna, if you havent been to one i suggest you do in your life time, its just a taster a tiny tit bit of whats out there and the difficultys which surround just normal life, deep jungle is so tiring you wouldnt believe it the effort needed to travel even a mile is incredible and leaves you with the most fierce head ache you couldnt imagine, 100 degrees and 100 % humidity the sound of cicadas piercing the humidity ringing in your ears like a formula one car screaming past the smells of organic material growing and rotting in a mass of compost and cockroaches the birds bringing the canopy to life with song,Its awesome, Ray is giving a wafer thin slice of what to expect, hey i wonder if anyone does courses in the jungle?? Hmmmmmmmm :?: :naughty: :wink: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
YOUR SO SKEPTICAL jp!! :super: but many valid points raised for both sides I suppose its each to their own :z: .

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Don't worry Viking, you have until they've finished making the rope out of nettle cordage to make your getaway!

:eek:):

leon-1

I must admit, I do not watch this programme for the sake of watching Ray doing things, however I do find it interesting to see the effect that we have on the environment and the effect that encroaching civilisation has on age old fundamental skills.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
The programme does not seem to have any focus, I have seen many wildlife programmes on the rain forest, which give a bigger insight into jungle life and the destruction of habit and the way of life there.
Sorry guys, but he has mixed a lot of previous programmes into one and ended up with something not really worth watching.

Frogo

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
So its not just me then. This is good.

His DVD's are very good but this series is, as someone said, out of focus. It doesnt seem to be about anything other than seeing seeing scenes of him in the jungle. Maybe they will bring out a spin off glamour magazine :yikes:

I didnt watch the whole programme last night as I had paint to dry but I did see the end where he said he was going to climb some mountain and then we see him standing there filmed from the Helicopter that dropped him off. Sorry but it is all to false.

Your BBC has a reputaton for good, honest TV but ....... I dont think it even works as a general entertainment programme because my wife (a avid globetrekker fan) grew bored long before I did.

OK I gues I'm just a dumb Canuk but thats my opinion anyway.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I wouldnt say it was boring as i watched it and it was as entertaining as most good travel/documentry programmes but...... after the first programme (stone age tools) which i thought was absolutly fantastic....its been a bit dissapointing

but then I was looking for somthing specific from the programe that the genral public would not have been looking for, and the programe was after all made for the genral public.... not just for me.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Its the Title that is giving the wrong impression to what the programme is really about , Ray Mears the Bushcrafter, now seems to look like Ray Mears the Presenter and sadly he seems a lot like Nick Sanders is to motorcycling they do not seem make good presenters .
They are Doers not Presenters
I watched 10 minutes of it last night and it looked like any other travel documentry any one could have presented it.
They are doing a rerun on some of his stuff on TV now at 12-00 they are really interesting even if they are repeats, more of the old style Ray Mears stuff that is what is needed.

G

Ginja

Aw, c'mon folks! Go easy on Mr Mears ... I mean, we're not exactly the most 'impartial' audience now, are we?!! :)

Yes, it ain't exactly a 'how to' programme - more like a nature documentary, hosted by a bushcrafter - but I'm sure it's going to inspire a whole bunch of newcommers to the world of outdoor living, which is no bad thing at all.

Paganwolf said:
hey i wonder if anyone does courses in the jungle?? Hmmmmmmmm

Yup - I've mentioned these guys a million times - but try the Breakaway Survival School, Hereford (tel Mick Tyler on: 01432 267 097). Last I knew, Mick was running yearly jungle courses in Borneo (least I think it was Borneo). Couldn't wish for anyone better by your side in that kind of environment ...

G

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
I think Bothyman is right, it needs to be re-titled to reflect its true character. That way people wont actually expect it to be something its not.

Maybe the BBC should call it 'Ray Mears world of travel'

Nice PLUG Ginja - do they pay you? :rolmao:

But if ever I decide to leave my comfortable office and visit a Jungle (which I doubt will happen) I'll go with one of the companies based in or specializing in the jungle, having a guy from Britain teaching jungle skills is like having and Inuit teaching desert survival to my mind. :chill:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Apart from the first episode which had alot of interesting stuff this series is definately not Ray at his best. If he wants to do something a bit different why not try doing a cookery series. Clarrissa Wright :***::***::***::***:enson manages that fairly well useing fresh game & fish.

I've been in deserts and the forests of Europe in winter as well as lots of sea and coastal stuff. Maybe it's because I'm not likely to go to a tropical jungle or theat Atteenbourgh could have done the same programme but it definately lacks something.

I'll continue watching the series to see what happens when the helecopter crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE