Is it me or is it boring?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Nice link, I see even none bushcrafter people find it boring.

The SAS are like the army right? Didn't someone say he tried to join but failed because he has bad eyes or something?

Anyho, I got the Mors Kochanski videos Gary mentioned (Thanks for your time on the telephone and for pointing me in the right direction there dude) coming too, so one way or another I'll master this bushcraft business.

Was Mors Kochanski in the SAS? :wink:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
As far as I know Mr. Mears never joined the SAS ... - if I'm correct he got rejected for (? by) the marines, due to bad eyesight (as Zacary said). Thought I read this on the the Woodlore site, but I'm not sure on that.

Also know he was (is) as a young chap into judo - you can see this in one of his previous shows (series) where you see him wrestling with some giant bloke from Nepal - he got this bloke down with relative ease.

It's obvious he never met me ... :rolmao: LOL :eek:):

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Ahjno said:
Also know he was (is) as a young chap into judo - you can see this in one of his previous shows (series) where you see him wrestling with some giant bloke from Nepal - he got this bloke down with relative ease.
Albeit with a broken rib IIRC.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Theres quite a few folk who are clearly miffed about one thing or the other.

Thing is; is that just because the expectations were of some sort of " Ready-Steady-Bushcraft!" thing, or what?

"Here,s one I did previously"

At the end of the day, it was just,"Tele" and that, as they say," Is showbiz".

Personally,I , wouldnt want to have to see , pure ,academic Bushcraft, at some Gawdforsaken time in the morning, along with higher Math.

Yer can,t please everyone, thats a fact and, if you dont like that idea, then, "tough t.t".

Seagull

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, I'll admit, it's not that educational but that's from a desire for more hard core knowledge standpoint.

Other than that, the programs are pleasantly light hearted with a more human feel than the previous series.

Some times during the last programs I got to thinking this is Extreme survival, how not to die in x,y and z environments. This *IS* more bushcraft in my VERY humble opinion because it brings a little joy into the programs, its fun, it's not a tutorial.

I would assume that it's meant to, as has already been mentioned, be inspirational and I think in that regard it's a success. It was nice to see a few bits on the knots etc (although the editing made this a little hard to exactly follow).

Personally for me, bushcraft is a large group of activities and skills and to enjoy bushcraft you don't need to practice and master them all. I like driving and sometimes I like to watch the odd motor sport event, I also drive but I don't beat myself up for not knowing how to handle a car in a rallye.

I also think that by provoking debate and prompting questions between us all, it's serving it's purpose. I may never visit a jungle so it may not be pertinent information but he makes me want to visit one, he makes me ask dumb questions and he makes me respect hugely the people here who also have vast knowledge and can (and do) share that with me freely. :You_Rock_

Maybe in a few years he'll do an Extreme bushcraft skills series, making mossie nets with his own hair, performing ad-hoc surgery using only a sharpened squirrel and a spoon he made earlier. I don't know :?:

Well, I guess that's a little more than 2p's worth...

Sorry for the rant :wink:

Joe

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
It must be me.

I thought his last 2 jungle programmes were great.

I can see were the comments are coming from though about him giving a taste and then getting people to book on his courses.

I did a woodlore course with Ray about 4 years ago and thought he was great but they have got rather exspensive now and some of the books are a bit repetetive now, but I still think he's very good.

Ginja and anyone else in the know, I 'd be keen to read more info on the other jungle survival stuff available to us, other than woodlore. I rang Breakaway several times, ansaphone and I don't see anything on their site.

Chris :wave:

M

Metala Cabinet

Fair comment - some like his new series and some don't. In the end discussing its merits and demerits is just a bit of fun. Perhaps someone should alert the BBC to what has been said here before they commission his next new series.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Maybe we all should write to the BBC after all we have to pay the license fee, yes even me. :shock:

As I started this thread I will answer a few points, if I may. As someone pointed out, if you dont like it dont watch it and this is a good point but as was also pointed out if it is the only programme of its type and you are remotely interested in the subject then you will watch it anyway. Buggers cant be choosers? (Good Brit phrase)

If there were more programmes like it I wonder if we would all sit through the boring ones? And, if there were better programmes out there, maybe you Brit's would have an eye opening and wallet closing experience and new prespective is always a good thing.

One good thing about my country there is so much competition in TV AS WELL AS THE MARKET PLACE that the consumer is king and those who are fakes or greedy dont last long.

Well guys I, like you, will continue to watch in the vain hope things improve.

G

Ginja

Ay up Chris - agree with you there ... I really enjoyed the jungle programmes as well; gives me itchy feet!

Surprised Mick at Breakaway hasn't got back to you - I'll have a go at getting in touch with him later this week and will let you know what's what (have a feeling I/we may have missed this years' trip, but I'll let you know anyway). Failing that, I'll see if Mick can recommend anyone else to contact in the meantime - I'll keep ya posted :wink:

Cheers,

G

PS: in answer to one of the previous posts, Ray Mears was not in the SAS (don't think he was in the forces in any shape or form, as it happens).

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Compared to the 99.9% utter c:***: :***:p that's served up on TV, this programme is a godsend! I do agree though that it has perhaps become a little too refined for some of our tastes e.g. lots of nice helicopter shots etc. and not enough 'grit' - personally, I found the scenery in the last programme stunning.

J

Jamie

familne said:
Compared to the 99.9% utter c:***: :***:p that's served up on TV, this programme is a godsend! I do agree though that it has perhaps become a little too refined for some of our tastes e.g. lots of nice helicopter shots etc. and not enough 'grit' - personally, I found the scenery in the last programme stunning.

Dont think anyone can complain at all about the scenery as you are quite right it is stunning etc but in a programme entitled 'Bushcraft' it would be nice to see a little more than just lip service to the subject........

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE