portable erecting query

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
not sure if this should be here or in the kit chatter homestead or out and about or other section, and you will likely see why the confusion

moderators feel free to move to the most suitable part of the forum if this is not the correct place [thank you]

many of you kind folk would have seem my post on portable radios

i have a theory for a lightweight portable antenna erecting system using what i got and fabricate one or two parts

here goes with my theory and would it work or be a complete failure...??

i have around 21ft of tent-poles rescued from an a small tent they weigh a mere 400g with no elastic as elastic is well worn and taken out for putting all poles together in a straight line with sections being at

1 x 480mm
12 x 350mm
1 x 380mm
1 x 318 mm [had to cut a portion that was split from a 380mm section]

if i fabricate a round disc with four [4] holes to use one [1] in the middle to slip over the poles and three [3] guy lines and make a removable spike for the end to push into the ground that should work [in theory]

meaning that adding or removing sections to get various heights of up to 21ft and a single man or [wo]man could potentially erect in mere seconds to a minute or so

or am i missing something...??

bona-fides

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If I was hiking solo and had some misadventure, I might not be in any fit state to set up any sort of a high gain antenna to radio for help. Even if I put a 2M rig in my truck, I might not be able to reach it.
My habit has been to leave a detailed map of where I'm going and what I'm doing and stick to it. Phone the "minder" when I get back home.
Our local mountain valleys are so steep-sided that regular VHF doesn't go anywhere without a mountain top repeater. Forestry, the police, everybody has to do the same.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
How flexable are the poles?

If they bend much you would need more guy out points along the length to keep it stable.

If you want to have a simple lightweight antenna maybe make a simple tuned length wire one that can be lobbed up a tree? It's been a long time since I made any antennas thouhj and I may be talking rubbish.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
My habit has been to leave a detailed map of where I'm going and what I'm doing and stick to it. Phone the "minder" when I get back home.
i do that anyway as there will always be someone knowing where i am the route and how long i am likely to be
If they bend much you would need more guy out points along the length to keep it stable.
thinking as a basis to start then tweak as required

for the full 21ft likely three [3] or more guy points strategically placed may help

one [1] a third way from ground
one [1] at two [2] thirds from ground
one [1] at half way between ground and the one at third way from ground

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
i do that anyway as there will always be someone knowing where i am the route and how long i am likely to be

thinking as a basis to start then tweak as required

for the full 21ft likely three [3] or more guy points strategically placed may help

one [1] a third way from ground
one [1] at two [2] thirds from ground
one [1] at half way between ground and the one at third way from ground
For my telescopic mast (6 m long, base diameter 39 mm, top diameter top 4 mm), I've got two guying out points - one fairly low down and one fairly high up (unless I use a stake-out antenna, in which case I just use the bottom guying point). Both are constructed of a plastic disc with a hole for the mast that 3-4 small holes for the lines. The discs rest on the top part of a segment and is guyed out to allow some movement. If there is a post of some kind, I tend to also attach the base of the mast to that using really long velcro straps.

I've got a short segment of rigid PVC pipe that I'm going to make a mast holder out of, so that I can erect the mast without the need for a 3rd hand, post or other support. Basically, cut out a saw-tooth pattern along the bottom for grip on different types of ground and make 3-4 holes at the top for short guy lines. Guy the holder in place (can do that myself), put the mast in, load everything on and extend it vertically. I know a lot of people extend them horizontally and then lift it up to vertical, but I'm worried about the stress on the pole and catching the wind/smacking someone in the face etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE