Is anyone planning an arctic trip for January 2016?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I was wondering if anyone of you, [with arctic bushcraft experience] or a group of members, are planning a self supporting arctic expedition this year, as I would like to join you.

Ive been on an arctic course in February, am well equipped, and would be an asset to any group.

Is there the possibility of anything in the pipeline?

Cheers.

Dave

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
One of my real ambitions that! Closest I get is watching frozen with the bairn though! Maybe one day

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Come and visit me in January. Camp in my back yard.
We can have snow dumps to 36" overnight. Rarely colder than -20C.
I believe that such a trip would be useful for sorting out the kit.
I can supply all sorts of firewood if that would be of any benefit.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I hear that song in my sleep! :lmao:

Dave in all seriousness how would one go about getting training for arctic expeditions? Something I do intend to do

Hi Mick. The only way to get arctic experience is to go an arctic bushcraft course run by reputable guys. Or if a group were going, I see no reason why a couple of people, without that experience could not come.
You would just need to get hold of the kit. [Or borrow some of it] And read as much as you can. [Like the Connovers Snow Walkers companion, which I could lend you for a few weeks]
I dont think people take on specific roles on these trips.
So each person is responsible for himself, [as well as keeping an eye on his mates] but someone with your medical background, a young doctor, would be a very welcome addition in my opinion.

There were expeditions offered by BushcraftUK in the past, at a greatly reduced cost, which I never went on, I dont know if there would be enough people interested, to offer them again. Or If Tony has plans to in the future.

Personally Id like to do it as cheaply as possible this year, I was thinking of getting a direct flight to Kiruna, and just getting off the plane, and travelling into the wilderness on foot, from the airport. Or maybe a night in a hotel first. There is the Kungsledden, the kings trail beginning in Abisko national park, just above Kiruna. I dont know what that would be like in Winter, bearing in mind I dont have nay bearpaws. I think Teepee mentioned he was planning on hiking that? He also mentioned another flatter place, I just cannot remember where..must have been further north on a bus ride...Or maybe following recognised dog sledding routes, like the arctic trail, so if anything did go wrong, I'd not be too far from help. But if theres a group going elsewhere, like Finland, as Mad Dave, Welchy etc and crew have done in the past, Id be up for that too.
I had a chat with a couple of experienced members earlier in the year about it, but it seems to have fizzled out. Its much easier planning a route, following the edge of long frozen lakes, then stepping back into the forest a few hundred yards to camp, than trying to walk through the forest.

Im sure I would be ok, but it is a completely unforgiving enviroment, and normally, even the best laid plans go awry.

So really I think its better If I go with a group. Or meet up with one over there. There will be stuff I dont know which they know, and vice versa. Im not sure if anyone is going this year though.

I know from planning something like this 4 months in advance, gives you a real buzz, and a fantastic sense of anticipation, with a large dash of trepidation closer to the time.

Hopefully some of the members planning a trip will be open to some new faces this year. :)

We'll have to wait and see if anyone responds...

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Come and visit me in January. Camp in my back yard.
We can have snow dumps to 36" overnight. Rarely colder than -20C.
I believe that such a trip would be useful for sorting out the kit.
I can supply all sorts of firewood if that would be of any benefit.

Thats a wonderful invitation mate, and one which Is genuinely tempting.
Ive been to Golden, BC before, on the snowmobiles, in 1999, just down the road from you, and it was probably the best place Ive visited. [Around kicking horse falls] But I would prefer to go with a few members in a group, into wilderness.
But many thanks Buddy. If its an open invitation, one year, I would love to go back to your stunning part of the world.
That could be a fantastic expedition, I think, to meet up with yourself and maybe some others in BC.
[If I ha the money, I dont think theres anywhere else Id prefer to live than in BC]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cost me over 3 grand for the course and travelling. Mind you I did it as a belated 40th Birthday present to myself. Still I wouldnt spend that much again. My idea was do it once, then do it on the cheap.

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
There's a link somewhere about doing the arctic on a budget I'll dig it out when I get to the pc, I was wanting to do one this year posted on a couple of the sub zero threads, got as far as getting a few bits biggest being the Canadian forces cold weather sleeping system, then personal circumstances changed so it won't be easy to get away now :( still on my list before I'm past it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dissapointing response so far. In fact, a complete Zero.....
Yeh, please do bopdude.

Last edited:

DUCky

Nomad
Aug 17, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Dissapointing response so far. In fact, a complete Zero.....
Yeh, please do bopdude.

....please do,...... takes me back to last year, Dave :lmao:
And remember......no later than half eleven ;)

I might go short and fast this season. Wait until there is snow and proper cold somewhere I can reach and go last minute. If I can't get that organised then it was not meant to be :)

cheers mate!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well, that sounds a bit more promising! :) Cheers Ducky

Any others from the Sub Zero Crew going back to Finland in January 2016?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Debs and I are planning to go to the Jokkmokk market again with Damian this winter but it's not really and expedition.

We are booking a cabin for the whole thing this time.

Yeh, I saw your other post Wayland, I wouldnt think of trying to intrude on that. Dont worry I wont be popping up outside your cabin window shouting 'let me in Gary' :D

I understand people have other responsibilities, and will probably decide between themselves first, IF they are going, before they decide whether to put out an invitation, to anyone else wanting to go. [Im just making my interest known, and trying to speed em up!]

*It was good when some of the lads did that last year, but, I'd already booked a course.

P.S. Ive got a permit for life from the Swedish hunting guild to set snares for ptarmigan up there, [which we can all have a go at, so long as I put my tag on it] But thats just for Northern Sweden.

PPS and if anyone has a toboggan blank going spare Id be interested!

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There's a link somewhere about doing the arctic on a budget I'll dig it out when I get to the pc, I was wanting to do one this year posted on a couple of the sub zero threads, got as far as getting a few bits biggest being the Canadian forces cold weather sleeping system, then personal circumstances changed so it won't be easy to get away now :( still on my list before I'm past it.

Sleeping system is easy: two three-sided bags one inside the other. Add a poplin bivy and you are done.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'll have a better read on the pc, can you drop me a pm with a link to your course please, just for future reference, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE