Is anyone planning an arctic trip for January 2016?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, January. The airline quote said £440, return with British Airways 05th Jan, Return 19th Jan. I mean those dates arent set in stone. But certainly beginning in January, even if it ends in February would be my preference.
Maybe 6 or 7 of us would be a good number?

[Any Canadian members up for meeting us would be fantastic. Some local knowledge]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Woops. Youre right. Flight info said Ontario CA.
I assumed it meant ontario canada.
[I mean who the hecks heard of ontario california!]

Ive just checked though, and Leeds to Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is the same price....under £500 return, same dates. January.
Unfortunately, the airport is hundreds of KM from the Missinaibi etc.

Last edited:

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
and so glad i v been posting chatting to u. norwegian airways. 86 quid gatwick out 68 quid back kiruna end nov. sorting now. partner lives 25mins gatwick. fly in taxi up road and 5 days wed to mon. wilderness. thats my pre xmas short trip sorted. all because you said about direct flights kiruna. cheers

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Roger that. :)

I bet a few of the fellas from BCUSA would meet us if a few of us were going....

Basically you can get just about anywhere for £500-£600 return.

Even Gander Airport, Labrador&Newfoundland, from Manchester.

Last edited:

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
Personally Id like to do it as cheaply as possible this year, I was thinking of getting a direct flight to Kiruna, and just getting off the plane, and travelling into the wilderness on foot, from the airport. Or maybe a night in a hotel first. There is the Kungsledden, the kings trail beginning in Abisko national park, just above Kiruna. I dont know what that would be like in Winter, bearing in mind I dont have nay bearpaws.

It is quite easy to go to kiruna/Abisko in winter (train or airport). And, you could go to kungsleden. Normally some part of fjallstation are open in winter. But they are totally open only in end of february. You could also rent a pulka/ski/snowshoe in Abisko and let it in Kebnekaise.

You could go only along the kungsleden (some parts in forest but the north part is more like toundra) or you could chose to travel in more wilderness parts.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I wont be going this year coming but a few of are thinking of looking at Feb 2017, dUCKY think you got the wrong Dave, I'm the one that went to Finland with you lol. I cant wait to get out again, though we might be looking at changing Venue, some of the boys have got a trip planned for norway this spring, so planning will commence after this i would assume. Watch this space!!

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
We went to Kittila Finland in Jan this year and had temps of -32.5C without taking windchill into account, there was about 1meter of snow off the beaten track, and plenty of fun was had by all!

Dave

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wont be going this year coming but a few of are thinking of looking at Feb 2017, dUCKY think you got the wrong Dave, I'm the one that went to Finland with you lol. I cant wait to get out again, though we might be looking at changing Venue, some of the boys have got a trip planned for norway this spring, so planning will commence after this i would assume. Watch this space!!

Yeh, I kinda wondered what Ducky was on about, then realised and sent him a PM telling him he'd got the wrong Dave......LOL.

Any of you guys interested in coming to Ontario you'd be welcome.

Return flight £400 or less.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135363

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
That Sounds Brill mate but we wont be able to do 2016 unfortunately (we have already booked to go to Norway in the Spring, the next winter trip will be 2017, if you guys decide to do it again then We'll be all over it lol.

It sounds like some firm friendships will be made on the trip, i hope you have a fantastic time buddy.

Dave

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm quite willing to believe that my back garden in February might suit all of your needs for some time to come.
But, I can slot you into a fine spot in the forest if you wish.

But if you want to try this, there's a phrase in a popular song that goes:
"the door is always open and the light's on in the hall". .... ..

I'll toast your tent with wine-braised bison and focaccia bread.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You see, there's a loop tour that you can do, between the CN trains and the BC coastal ferries. I've hosted my kid's UK friends doing the loop.
Look at a map: you fly into Edmonton (about 8hrs out of Gatwick), train to Jasper National Park, transfer to the Prince Rupert train and stop at my place in McBride.
Back from McBride via Valemount to catch the mainline to Vancouver.
Then all the way up the coast by boat to Prince Rupert. My Dad did it, said it was stunning scenery all the way in winter.
Back on the train, transfer to the mainline at Jasper, off to Edmonton and fly home.

The last kid(?) that did it, he told me that he had a rail pass and could get off/on when he pleased, over a few months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE