Into the wild movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It is a very sad film. The last few minutes of the film, when he lays down to die, were very moving. I hope that his few remaining moments were as happy as I think the film is trying to make us believe they were. He was a young guy who did what he wanted to do, he paid the ultimate price. Was he wrong? Can any of us sit in judgement on his decisions? Have not all of us made mistakes in our past, maybe over estimated our own abilities? Maybe we were lucky and it didn't get out of control, but unfortunately for him, it did go wrong. The guiy died alone, possibly in considerable pain and suffering. he must have known he was going to die, and that he could do nothing about it. What a terrible way to go. I'd like to think that members here would have a bit more compassion for a fellow traveller in the great outdoors who gets into trouble.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
There's speculation somewhere in the book or movie (can't remember where) that his mentality was such that he felt that only challenges that carried the risk of failure were really worth achieving.

He knew precisely what risks he was taking, and everything that he did to make the risks greater for himself would have heightened the experience and satisfaction he enjoyed. Taking no map or compass so that you can explore a place for yourself, as though you were the first to set foot there, takes a sort of dedication and bravery that I envy. He wanted to make the most that he possibly could of his life, and he did more in his short life than the vast majority of us do in three times as long.

If he'd spent thirty years doing something he didn't want to do, and having only diluted experiences of camping with expensive equipment at weekends, THAT would have been stupid. I feel sorry for his family, but he inspired me and a lot of others.

I was thinking what i was gonna say in this post, but it so mirrors what Philaw says, that im just gonna bump his reply.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
What a waste of life, the guy was a fool or mentally ill, perhaps a combination of the two. I felt sorry for his family and hope he has now found peace

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What made it so tragic was the fact that there was a bridge he could have crossed about three miles south which would have lead him out to safety. It was his decision not to carry a map though so what can you say, it was his own choice to push himself without the basic requirements which eventually lead to his demise. The way in which he "allegedly" died was tragic though and all because of a wrong ID on a plant.

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE