'interesting' definition of bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I dont think that the original post was meant to be anti-polish.
Myself, i understood it as to emphasise thecontrast between the would-be bushcrafters, who depend on money and gear, and people who are from a nation who has not had the most pleasurable history.
(Sorry, I cant explain it better)
Probably more pro-polish.
Or at least much better than the other party pictured: sort of Essex-man (or how did you call those young upstarts from the Thatcher-era) who has read "Walden" too often and idolizes a life in the woods.

waterman

Nov 1, 2009
twickenham
perhaps the loss of humour is weather derived due to too much time on their hands. Roll on spring so we can forget who we are and where we come from and enjoy our craft under whatever name or desguise it comes under.
take no offense from this as none intended:):canoe:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
There are no Poles around here.

I ate them.

(seriously, im rather fond of the Poles, and a lot of other strange furrin types that in many ways I deplore for taking over our country...but we are too weak here to take it back.)

(anyhow, then we would have to cook our own curries.)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
There are no Poles around here.

I ate them.

(seriously, im rather fond of the Poles, and a lot of other strange furrin types that in many ways I deplore for taking over our country...but we are too weak here to take it back.)

(anyhow, then we would have to cook our own curries.)

Far out.......is that post for real?

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
To be fair, it's quite a humourous post if taken in jest.

Exactly why I posted it - if you can't laugh at yourself, you're really in trouble.

I dont think that the original post was meant to be anti-polish.
Myself, i understood it as to emphasise thecontrast between the would-be bushcrafters, who depend on money and gear, and people who are from a nation who has not had the most pleasurable history.
(Sorry, I cant explain it better)
Probably more pro-polish.

Thats the way I read it too. Obviously this is not the place for a discussion on racial characteristics but I've worked with a few Poles and I've yet to meet a better bunch. Hard workers and great company.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have to agree, that's a bit sharp Tengu

Or am I missing something ?

I don't think so Rich,

At best it comes across a xenophobic at worst racist. If it's meant to be funny it's in absolutley appalling taste...

I did think it was meant to be a filibusterous type comment but I dont think so.

Sad.....

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Seriously though.. Can someone please define bushcraft? I for one avoid the use of the term between "muggles"; first of all they'll think I'm a R.M. wannabe or some sort of militia/Rambo freak.

So how do we define people who want to spend time in nature, maybe learn a thing or two about plants and trees, maybe also learn how to track animals and possibly make stuff (either food or tools) using what nature has to give while at the same time being non-destructive towards nature?

Are you "into bushcraft" only if you spend 90% of your time outdoors, eating squirrels and rabbits, and live under a shelter made exclusively out of tree branches and animal hide?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
The stuff about the comercial nature of the term 'bushcraft',however,is fair game,agree with it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
"Anyhow. The Polish are very nice people and are just like us. Which is why they come here. They have a connection to our country dating back toi WWII and probably before that. Similarly theRomanians go to France and others head to Germany. Just be glad that someone likes our country other than us."

Hmmm - there are nice Poles and there are horrible Poles, just like any other nationality. The original posting was nothing to do with Poles - it was just making the point that in reality we Bushcrafters are amateurs having a bit of fun, and we are not people who could survive in a hostile environment ---- and that's absolutely true for the vast majority of us, me included.

Yes, we are playing at being wild men. And why not, it's fun - and if it gives us some kudos with our mates, then why not. I know all my friends, including several scoutmasters, think I'm a crazy tough guy just because I like to walk in the mountains and sleep in the woods. So much the better --- I like being admired.

I've even had people I meet ask me if I'm in the army (I'm 55 with grey hair and not much of it!) just because they meet me in the hills carrying a (non-military) backpack with a bivvy bag and a tarp strapped on to it! ........ and maybe with three or four days' stubble on my chin and not stinking of wood smoke.

But it's all great fun and throughly enjoyable.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I like the post lol
I prefer the term ` messing about it the woods!` I just like to be there to be honest, and if its bad weather im not ashamed to admit Id often rather be indoors in my own bed ;)

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
i'm a fisherman and it doesn't seem to matter what time of year it is or what species of fish it is they'll eat it and leave the half eaten charred remains and the left overs of a fire wherever they see fit.

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
I can define bushcraft!
Sharing a mutual interest with friends and generally having a good time.

PREPER.............. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE