'interesting' definition of bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
This gave me a chuckle. From a Song of the Paddle thread discussing merits of campcraft vs bushcraft.

"BUSHCRAFT: Basically a marketing catch word that takes little bits of each of the above and attempts to convince people that survival is fun or that it can be done over a weekend. It could more accurately be described as adventure recreation. While popular with the sort of peson that believes that in the event of a societal collapse they can take their Sweedish axe and carve out a woodland paridise in a stand of 23 trees somewhere in Kent (where they will never be found), and have a badger stirfry cooking and a brew on by tea; the truth is that they will be eaten by two Polish homeless men (who are real survivors) that are currently living in London about 6 days into the nightmare loss of public order. While the word Bushcraft is sometimes used to collectively refer to all the traditional outdoor skills of all the worlds cultures, it still is primarily a business logo. The logo is very good at taking lots of money from people who are interested in doing something resembling camp craft but want a higher status in the "bushcraft" community by being able to show they can light fires by rubbing sticks together. The same fire that will attract the hungry homeless Polish cannibals who wisely cook their victims using powdered Draino and other household chemicles to avoid the tell tale signs of a fire which will attract others."

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
dontfeedthetroll.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not going to start on someone else's opinion of 'bushcraft', but round here the Polish folks come in two varieties........the descendants of those who came round the time of WW1 and are simply ordinary decent members of society; and the tradesfolks who have come over to work damned hard, make a bit of money and then head home again. ( how does one say, "auf wiedersen, pet", in Polish ? :rolleyes: ) The latter often bring families with them, and we now have interesting foodstuffs in the supermarkets that we are slowly becoming familiar with. Some of the pickles are brilliant :)

Not an unemployed, homeless cannibal among them.

Toddy

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You know what, despite it's sneering and cynical tone, I do agree with that description.
I do also believe a lot of bushcraft (of the kind of things that get discussed on this forum - but not all!) IS adventure recreation.
But I don't mind.
I'm still enjoying it.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not going to start on someone else's opinion of 'bushcraft', but round here the Polish folks come in two varieties........the descendants of those who came round the time of WW1 and are simply ordinary decent members of society; and the tradesfolks who have come over to work damned hard, make a bit of money and then head home again. ( how does one say, "auf wiedersen, pet", in Polish ? :rolleyes: ) The latter often bring families with them, and we now have interesting foodstuffs in the supermarkets that we are slowly becoming familiar with. Some of the pickles are brilliant :)

Not an unemployed, homeless cannibal among them.

Toddy

Indeed, hard working bunch the lot of em. Also to be fair, the most likely homeless person you'll find down south is probably one of our kin, a Scotsman..:rolleyes: Would he eat someone? Probably.. :lmao:

You know what, despite it's sneering and cynical tone, I do agree with that description.
I do also believe a lot of bushcraft (of the kind of things that get discussed on this forum - but not all!) IS adventure recreation.
But I don't mind.
I'm still enjoying it.

Aye, I do kind of agree and like the definition. Sure it pokes fun at the bushcraft fraternity, but anyone who can't laugh at themselves really does need a kick up the bahooky.

Cheers,

ps, Toddy, have you tried those Polish Jaffa cakes without the cake? Mella or something is written on the box.. If anyone likes Jaffa cakes, you'll love these chocolate and jelly treats... mmmmm mmm!:D

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bags I get to eat "long pig " first!
Not Polish - but I have a rare hunger for fresh meat!

Cynical begger that put that post up!

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Who else suspects the individual who wrote that struggles to light fires with a lighter, never mind using friction? I detect a hint of jealousy beneath the sneering. I'm a bit surprised that the Mods have left the anti Polish comments stand too. The recipients being white doesn't make it any less racist. Without going into the less than ideal history of the British Empire half the world is full of British Ex-pats, we get everywhere. We've also done our share of economic migtation when things have been tough at home. For the record, even within the EU anyone moving here cannot live off the state. They have to work. All the Polish families I've met work incredibly hard, usually live in accomodation most Brits would refuse as too crowded and are extremely friendly.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I agree that Bushcraft is a bit of a misnomer, certainly in the Uk. and I would struggle indeed to say that I practice this mythical art. however what I am is somebody who enjoys the outdoors and who appreciates traditional skills and things gone by.

As for survival, that is something everybody does this side of yon bourne from where no traveller returns.

Much of what comes under the current heading of Bushcraft is what was originally everyday survival.

Taking a long view of it all, why should anyone wish to impose some stigma over those who practice it for a hobby and enjoyment alone. Many older practices remain as sport which were once the arts of survival or war, take fencing, does anyone still practice that in case they are called upon to defend there honour in a duel? Or archery in case some latter day Spanish Armada lands. (never mind Polish cannibals, that is just ridiculous)

As for the breakdown of law and order, that has already happened, we are not on the verge of a new dark age, we are already living in it :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
SHOWERING: Basically a marketing catch word that [...] attempts to convince people that being rained on is fun.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Firstly Archery was something every man had to do and was prior to the Spanish Armada, try thinking of The battle of Azincourt days. many years before the amarda which was mainly defeated by our excellent weather when they fled around the north of our island to get home (other way blocked by our meagre fleet at that time). Just a semi facutal correction of an earlier poster.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Who else suspects the individual who wrote that struggles to light fires with a lighter, never mind using friction? I detect a hint of jealousy beneath the sneering. I'm a bit surprised that the Mods have left the anti Polish comments stand too. The recipients being white doesn't make it any less racist. Without going into the less than ideal history of the British Empire half the world is full of British Ex-pats, we get everywhere. We've also done our share of economic migtation when things have been tough at home. For the record, even within the EU anyone moving here cannot live off the state. They have to work. All the Polish families I've met work incredibly hard, usually live in accomodation most Brits would refuse as too crowded and are extremely friendly.

I'm one of the mods on the above forum

The individual concerned is more than able to light fires with a lighter and knowing what he's like, there's nothing but sneering beneath the sneering :D He's not from the UK so doesn't have any anti-polish skin in the game and I would assume his ancestors were migrants. Incidentally are the mods on this forum going to let the scots comments stand??? I sure as heck hope so!

Cheers,

Alan

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Other thing about Polish being hard workers. Well I know from experience that they are just like the British. The only difference they have to work a year or so before they can claim benefits for being out of work. What does that mean? Well they work very hard until they have done 12 months in a job then they look at what everyone else is doing and getting away with and from that moment you can only tell the difference by the language not their work ethic. The other thing is, no offence meant to my fellow English, but the Polish over here doing low paid work is likely to be more educated and capable than those English coleagues. So that usually means they can work any system better and get away with more once they have the legal 12 months and right to stay.

It is likely that they are very good at hunting anf fishing side of things as that is part of their custom. They also have an attitude where every male can fix anything. That is irrespective of any ability to do so. What does that mean? Usually a broken fork lift needing more expense that it originally needed to get it working again after a Polish guy has looked at it. Or a compressor hose coming off whilst under pressure. If you are a manager or supervisor do not give a Polish man a set of spanners or any tools, they do not know what to do with them even if they say they do!

Another thing is the fishing and hunting side of things. If there are Polish living in your area do guard your pond at Christmas. Why you might ask. Well the Polish have a traditional meal at Christmas time of eating Carp. They do not care if it is your 30 year old loi carp costing several thousand pounds that you nicked from the local tropical house one drunken night about 5 years ago or something they fished for from a fishing centre. Ooops! too much information.

Anyhow. The Polish are very nice people and are just like us. Which is why they come here. They have a connection to our country dating back toi WWII and probably before that. Similarly theRomanians go to France and others head to Germany. Just be glad that someone likes our country other than us.

AS far as bushcraft goes, call it what you want. At least you are learning something by doing it. Better than sitting on your arses all the time. Just don't pretend you are in anyway on the same level as the KJalahari bushmen who practise real bushcraft. It is a recreation not a way of life. Unless you actually do live in as teepee cooking over a log fire hunting for all your own food and making everything out of what you can catch or find from nature.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE