Instant Potato Flakes - Smash

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Don't do it to yourself, Tee Dee,
Don't do it.
Step away from the instant mash. Step away from the instant mash...

LOL!

I quite like a bit of instant mash - definitely a time saver.

Just wondering if anyone does more commercial sized cheaper bulk bags

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I buy it by the 2kg bag.
It's good stuff....for making tattie scones, for making duchesse potatoes, for thickening soups, for gnocchi, for potato puffs and waffles, johnny cakes and veggie burgers.

It keeps really well too, even if long out of date (found a bag in the box at the back of the pantry that was 2years past, and it was absolutely fine) just keep it dry.

Like this.

You can buy generic dried potato flakes or powder too though.

This one's a really good price,

M

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Good basis for a new Thread - what easy to obtain dry staples can be combined to make tasty meals - Mountain House is so pricey so why not make a bulk batch of cheaper ones.

I regularly use the 'instant' couscous in my trekking meals. There are lots of versions - from Mexican spiced to Moroccan herbs - just add hot water and wait for two minutes.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I regularly use the 'instant' couscous in my trekking meals. There are lots of versions - from Mexican spiced to Moroccan herbs - just add hot water and wait for two minutes.

Do you add anything else dry to it?

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Instant Mash and a can of corn beef.
We call it pink splodge, top tip is to make the mash a little too dry as the moisture comes out of corn beef, otherwise it is too runny.
Also used to add some instant gravy to make a meaty filling, but probably not healthy, meal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you add anything else dry to it?
I add Marigold stock powder. It seasons it up very well indeed. Some ground pepper works well too. Chilli flakes are good if you like heat.

I find the dry grated parmesan cheese is a good addition too....<£1 a tub and a couple of teaspoonsful goes a long way. That stuff lasts a long time too if it's kept dry and cool.

Do you want recipes ? for using Smash I mean.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I add Marigold stock powder. It seasons it up very well indeed. Some ground pepper works well too. Chilli flakes are good if you like heat.

I find the dry grated parmesan cheese is a good addition too....<£1 a tub and a couple of teaspoonsful goes a long way. That stuff lasts a long time too if it's kept dry and cool.

Do you want recipes ? for using Smash I mean.
I think recipes would be good!

Any recipes using dry foods that can be easily combined ( Smash , CouCous etc ) to form some standalone meals using other Dry goods would be good for camping etc.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make up smash, season it well, add in an egg and as much flour (SR is probably best, but whatever you have works, I use gluten free and it works fine) as will make a firm dough.
Pat that dough out into palm sixed flat breads and bake on a girdle or dry frying pan.
Tattie scones with added protein :) Easy, easy at camp.
At home I roll them out and cut them into farls like the ones you can buy in the shops.
You don't need the egg, the flour will do fine, but it makes for easy binding and for the added protein.
Really good hot with butter :)
If you grate an onion and add that pulp to the smash before you add flour (it'll take more because it's wet) it's very good as well.

You can add grated parmesan or cheddar (the parmesan type is easy to carry, it comes in plastic tubs) and those are delicious too :)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-dried-grated-hard-cheese-80g?utm_medium=cpc&catalogId=10241&productId=851682&utm_campaign=15424330555&storeId=10151&gclid=CjwKCAiAvOeQBhBkEiwAxutUVOreJRAoFefaMYqC17WF5JRNmlZZ7pbWRaBe5Gstb-aIUTEmQ-Qd5hoChw4QAvD_BwE&langId=44&utm_source=Google&krypto=9JO%2Bznx6jKdtugnLxnJXMzZtpbOF6HJbuWX%2Fp5gklIPRaHGCrNgxEV3pQ7uSMRfeC%2FfchaoeLmnIil%2BWaq059OLB0KOo8AmznS3LDS9D%2Ba%2FcUxruVxWxETvROoYF1uDMjnabUVEjW16JEPb3wVsC0iX4lPIt86beQckSwuFehHzv0iRNt48xb1PHavvUSXrqysZEsFC4asR2vj2o1c57RJaksEYPJT1NliADYnpFo5sxn4rG%2F%2F9k%2Fk4LrerNtaPGvseFH03fuu01mZ2zkV%2FwKv4xhlvsdb2L%2BjYVrqO1ndF3NQ2zeHezjRXyxdE6MOZl77KzBzaT2vQCAAwJN3l9E0HgXHl1Fay6wxveT%2BgSpUDR%2B%2BX%2FkrFVWgFLSHLCzb9KuW8VYpaRH3En2ZVnyHViS6IjfcXDEmMmCARceETVyzXf%2BGabAWAEZq7AFyvfwMCedywEqgjpXibjc7AqjGLmcNm7fp%2FJZ%2FGezJdjbY4akW13p9YbJX%2FNPsf8fbv4Mr51qCeu1kWPQpKDvsMa%2BqmAwA%3D%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fsainsburys-dried-grated-hard-cheese-80g
or

• Love

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've been using Sainsbury's own mashed potato for years as a trekking food. It comes in a box of five two portion foil envelopes which have to be mixed with half a litre of boiling water to be re-constituted. Simple! I add sliced dried sausage, parmesan, tuna, bully beef herbs etc (but not all together!

Couscous is another favourite as it,too, only needs boiling water to be re-constituted. Additions as above with herbs,etc.

Ramen noodles were another standby.

What do the above have in common? They are light, simple to fix at the end of a long day and require little fuel to cook. They can be made in a "pour and store" or similar pouch using one boil up of water the rest of which is used for your brew.

I usually carry a small vial of mixed salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried herbs to spice up the above. Curry powder and mixed spices are also possibilities.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Mash with kale is a fairly well known dish. If you have access to a dehydrator kale is a very good one to do, the leaves go crispy and are most likely the "seaweed" you can buy, you can season them as crisps, or smash it into a dry dust so you get a lot of leaves in a very small space. Easily mixable with smash I would think?
You quickly blanch it with a bit of lemon juice first, so each dehydrator batch is a lot of leaves that don't take long to do if you borrowed one.
I would think you could make your own smash too?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE