Inspiration needed

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Hi guys...

I'm looking for some jewellery making inspiration. I've decided to branch out into making more items for men but not quite sure what to do so I thought I'd ask what you all think :)

So what kind of thing would you wear or buy for a bloke? What sort of materials do you like.. silver? copper? bronze? steel? natural materials like wood or stones? leather things or chains? what sort of price range?

All suggestions welcome :)

Rachael x

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The only jewellery I wear are two rings, both have special meaning. I like solid heavy materials (woods, metals, horn, stone, leather) finished well but nothing golden, nothing mirror finished.

Cuff links may be the way to go?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I wear 8mm ear rings, mostly bone or wood. Some metal. I wear a pendant most days around my neck and only wear one ring.....the one ring.......well not quite its my wedding ring which is titanium nice and light.

I'd love to own a decent torc

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Thanks for replying guys :)

Not thought about cuff links, that might be an idea :)

I'm in the process of making a ring atm from some silver sheet, in the shape of a lightning bolt (think Harry potter scar).

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Thanks for replying guys :)

Not thought about cuff links, that might be an idea :)

I'm in the process of making a ring atm from some silver sheet, in the shape of a lightning bolt (think Harry potter scar).

Mark should have plenty of nice off cuts from scales that would make great cuff links! A nice set of different woods would be very cool.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cuff links are very commercial - easy to sell. Blokes don't wear a lot of bling. Single piece necklace works - but it needs to be unusual - sharks tooth, mammoth ivory.

You can get fossilised bear claws.....I would love that on a leather band.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
If you do cufflinks, use chains to join them - they're so much better, aesthetically & practically, than those awful twisty-bar things.

Utilising scales off-cuts, you could (could you) form in the wood, the leaf of the tree it came from. Perhaps picked out with metal foil/wire. This might work for cuff links or maybe something larger for, say, securing a cape.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Cufflinks ? does anyone apart from James Bond still wear them ?....:rolley

15242L.jpg

How about silver 'man lockets' containing mini emergency fire lighting stuff ............................decorative bush hat bands too would be interesting, make a change from the boring tressed leather ones.

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In your initial post, did you really ask if men like leather and chains? ;)

Ok, I'll behave and make sensible suggestions instead...

Stud or small hoop earrings in singles rather than pairs
Tie pins
Small decorative lapel pins (I think they are called), perhaps in a huntin' shootin' fishin' theme, or general wildlife
Ditto as hat decorations

Personally I might be interested in a cloak pin, and I might not be the only one on here.
Celtic themed stuff seems popular regardless

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't wear much adornment as a rule maybe the odd bracelet or neckpiece. Will wear a nice kiltpin ( I have an old silver mounted otter paw one which is my fav, but I recon you'd get into trouble if you start amputating the fauna). I did make jewellery way back mainly out of old cameras but it was very much a thing of the times 80's-90's. Angular, black ad silver.
I did make these necklaces out of horn which guys liked
003.JPG

You can play around with button knots and the likes.

Cufflinks are nice, though I don't get out to play much these days but always a nice gift.

A lot of guys may buy one off single ear-rings, or you could try hair / beard rings?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
brass, bronze, silver, stone, bone, leather, wood and teeth! all good stuff in my books, and although I like gold I don't think it would sell very fast due to costs. Keep the costs moderately low as I'm sure most of us are kind of picky and don't like to take pricey chances on jewellery :)

I wear a leather cord necklace with an old dogs tooth and some of my extracted teeth on it. I don't like to throw things like that out and they make nice decorative bits.. but any teeth will be interesting enough to buy for some people.

Hammered finnishes on rings and pendants look nice, specially simple stuff like silver and brass (don't like copper making me green!). I also like the hair ring idea and the hand made ear plug/flesh tunnel idea.

I'd also consider the torc bracelet or necklace if I could afford one, I say that because I can imagine they take alot of time and work to get right! probably more than I could pay for..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE