In Praise of HillyBilly Knives.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I had need of using a knife today to trim down a surface peeling crack in my GFB SFA Haft .... I think it was impact induced from chopping a tree down yesterday .... well as some of you may know I have some very top end bushcrafters ... A Woodlore, A SWC Mears Bushcrafter and an Alan Wood Damasteel Woodlore ... all of which were shaving sharp ... I came to try them as a draw knife as these are 4 inches in length and I figured I would have more control with them than the 5 inch HillBilly knife .... and to be honest they could'nt do the task!:eek:

I think the angle of the Scandi Grind was too steep and they could'nt do thin shavings to clean the haft up before sanding it.... well I was both worried and dissapointed in equal measure by then as I needed the Axe as soon as possible ... so I got out the HillBilly knife and despite the extra blade length ....NO PROBLEM .... it worked like a charm ....well able to do the tightest of curls on a cut and cleaned up the haft no problem ....

I think it is the slightly more shallow angle of the scandi grind he used and perhaps the 3mm thickness of the blade as opposed to 4mm ... it too like the others was razor sharp ... anyway ... big thumbs up to Mark on this one!

Saved the day and knocked spots of knives costing 3 to 4 times the price.... they will soon be going up for sale in the States those others ..... I was honestly gob smacked at the difference .... and before anyone mentions it ... I don't know Mark and have never met him ... so just a truthful comment on it all ....

P1000910.jpg

Cracking knife mate!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I got a DIY kit off Mark a few months ago. Very nice quality and it should be a good user once I get it finished. I've only got as far as Aralditing the scales on though so far.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi Peter, just found this mate. Missed it when it was posted.

Glad its doing well for you. I have never compared one of mine to a woodlore, due to not owning one. Happy to see it can stand its ground :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE