I'm upset and angry and I need to rant!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Might be worth mentioning that lily poisoning can cause renal failure in cats. All parts of the lily are toxic to cats, even if they get pollen on their fur and then clean themselves.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Some further reading
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90815
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95173
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16268
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72767

What was done was wrong. Very wrong

But I firmly believe allowing your pet to deffocate in my Garden is also wrong. If you don't know where your pet is then you are not a responsible pet owner. And if a cat can't be controlled to the degree where you do know where it is then cats should not be pets.

Why should I sweep my garden for cat mess so my kids can play safely?

M

I don't want to turn this into a dogs vs cats thing but what about the tons of dog mess on pavements, verges, parks that is clearly done whilst the owner knows exactly where the animal is?

If the owner can't be bothered to pick up waste left in a public space then dogs should not be pets either?

I completely take the points about cats and gardens; the anger/frustration is one thing. Setting out to poison an animal is another.

It is a depressing thread; sorry folks.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I thought they can get a taste for it and I've known a couple killed by an unfortunate preference for a winter snoze on a warm landy engine... is it possible they are seeking the sweetness and its not a deliberate poisoning but long term ingestion?

I've stopped sharing the animal cruelty scares on facebook... for every animal saved by a warning, eg nailed sausages, there might be some sick basteward who might be prompted to try it :S

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I don't want to turn this into a dogs vs cats thing but what about the tons of dog mess on pavements, verges, parks that is clearly done whilst the owner knows exactly where the animal is?

If the owner can't be bothered to pick up waste left in a public space then dogs should not be pets either?

I completely take the points about cats and gardens; the anger/frustration is one thing. Setting out to poison an animal is another.

It is a depressing thread; sorry folks.

I agree completely it's about responsible pet owners knowing where there pets are and cleaning up after them. Dog owners should be responsible too - but if you let your cat roam over the neighbourhood how can you claim you're responsible for it?

Anyhow - animal cruelty is wrong and I'm in know way condoning it. However. If you know where the cat is this wouldn't happen.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I agree completely it's about responsible pet owners knowing where there pets are and cleaning up after them. Dog owners should be responsible too - but if you let your cat roam over the neighbourhood how can you claim you're responsible for it?

Anyhow - animal cruelty is wrong and I'm in know way condoning it. However. If you know where the cat is this wouldn't happen.

Cats wander. It's what they do. You can't confine them without being cruel.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't want to hijack this thread, but other things we do that have consequences for others have been banned, drink driving, smoking indoors, dangerous breeds, building house extensions willy nilly lists go on and on.

At one time they WERE acceptable, but no longer.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
On what grounds should they banned?

As we've already agreed - They don't make good pets as an owner cannot control them without being cruel.

Leading to the animal trespassing, defecating and urinating on other peoples property. Destruction of property and destruction of wildlife including songbirds, amphibians, mammals and reptiles.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Using that logic.... people should be kept indoors also :)

Sickening to hear about the poisoning. We have cats, and i would be on the warpath if that happened to one of ours.

+1 to that, Mark. It's shocking how people don't care about what is not human. Poisoning an animal is rarely nice.

BTW I have 2 cats and a host of wildlife in the garden, the BTO is regularly impressed with the numbers and varieties of species we have. All my cats, and I've had lots over 60 years, are taught that rats, mice, bunnies (wild ones) are "good" but that birds are "not good". Despite the cries of "rubbish" I can hear in the ethers it does work! Like badly behaved children are the result of bad parents so are "bad" dogs and cats!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
+1 to that, Mark. It's shocking how people don't care about what is not human. Poisoning an animal is rarely nice.

BTW I have 2 cats and a host of wildlife in the garden, the BTO is regularly impressed with the numbers and varieties of species we have. All my cats, and I've had lots over 60 years, are taught that rats, mice, bunnies (wild ones) are "good" but that birds are "not good". Despite the cries of "rubbish" I can hear in the ethers it does work! Like badly behaved children are the result of bad parents so are "bad" dogs and cats!

Sounds like you're the exception not the rule. If you know where it is at all times to the point you could go get it when asked (at any time) then I'm happy as long as it has permission to be there.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands

So how do you get a cat to be selective about it's kills when it's in somebody elses garden?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Apologies to Stringmaker for Hijacking this thread - and my Sympathy for his friend.

As an explanation - It's got to the point where Cats are a very emotive issue for me down to the amount of scat I have to pick up in the garden. I struggle with the concept of feeling it's OK to buy a pet then not know where it is or what it's doing, even where it's doings are. I find it quite selfish and struggle to understand why other people think it's OK - hence I get het up about it. I get even more annoyed when people suggest I should fork out on spending money to try and keep domestic cats off my own land. These cats have owners - the responsibility (and therefore expense) should lie with them.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
As an explanation - It's got to the point where Cats are a very emotive issue for me down to the amount of scat I have to pick up in the garden. I struggle with the concept of feeling it's OK to buy a pet then not know where it is or what it's doing, even where it's doings are. I find it quite selfish and struggle to understand why other people think it's OK - hence I get het up about it. I get even more annoyed when people suggest I should fork out on spending money to try and keep domestic cats off my own land. These cats have owners - the responsibility (and therefore expense) should lie with them.

we all know your feelings on cats VERY well by now............do us all a favour and change the record, this one's got boring.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE