Ikea Hobo Stove - Accessories???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

Here's a few pics of mine and it's contents Tytek .

Morrisons pot ( With lid handle and a wire bail )
Pot grab.
Pot supports ( fence wire )
Trangia burner.
Matches and lighter.
Grill ( 120mm computer fan grill )
Thick aluminium plate, for Hexi blocks or raising meths burner.
Legs ( Staifix builders ties )
Fold-a-Cup.
Thick aluminium foil ash pan, Warthog 1981 idea.
The above all fit inside the Hobo stove.

DSC02453Small.jpg

Also things outwith the stove like a bag ( Aussie combat trouser leg ), Spork, blow poker,Swedish Kuska and wind shield etc.

The burn plate and grill allows the use of pots which don't fit down inside the Hobo stove, such as metal mugs.
Here being used with Hexi and an 85 pat mug.

DSC02456Small.jpg

The wind shield fits the stove really well, locks on to the holes in the legs :cool:

DSC02459Small.jpg
dsc02462Small.jpg

I really like mine :D, have had great fun putting it together and adapting it, in fact I've started on number two :rolleyes: more akin to Waylands current one.

Cheers ,
Pete.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, maybe mine's not so posh :eek:
It's sound though, and it draws really well too.

IMG_1128.JPG

Hobo stove in it's linen bag.

IMG_1131.JPG

Bag opened, stove complete with blow poker.

IMG_1138.JPG

Bag emptied, strap off, blow poker, cork mat, cutting board, two bowls and padded cloth.

IMG_1140.JPG

Billy, supports and cutlery pulled out of stove.

IMG_1141.JPG

Support legs, third bowl, mug, greenheat sachets, tea, coffee and sugar.

IMG_1149.JPG

Legs in slots, supports through holes, billy on top boiling water for coffee. Shows the fuel feed cut out too.

IMG_1152.JPG

Fold down D rings on the billy sides, the bail sits around the base of the stove in the bag.

IMG_1153.JPG

Hot coffee in a couple of minutes :D

IMG_1129.JPG

By the time I drink my coffee the stove is cool enough to be cleaned out and packed away. It didn't even melt the snow on the back path :cool:

The larger bowl came from Ikea, it's a perfect fit for the drainer. The next two fit inside.
I find bowls easier than plates when eating outside. The little one is handy for putting things down into, fork, spoon, that kind of thing. Keeps them clean and off the ground. Good for prep work too. I have also used them to heat up stuff while I'm eating something else out of the billy. Like custard for cake or hot milk for chocolate.
The padded cloth not only stops any rattling, it's incredibly useful for catching hold of hot bits of metal :), insulates under the bowl when in use too.

I have loads of bits and pieces that change in and out as the notion takes me, a tiny wooden spatula is awfully useful for stirring right into the corners of the billy and is usually in the kit too.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
The last 2 posts are the best by far!

I like how you both did yours on legs - they look very similar.
Love the little containers for coffee, sugar,etc - It's just a matter of finding things that fit.
I also like the idea of a 'chopping board' as you always need a clean surface for food prep.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Here's My hobo stove all packed up

P1020071.jpg

and unpacked
P1020064.jpg

The slid on legs were puubs idea I just made them up with what I had lying around :D

Consists of
Woolworth's cutlery drainer there a little bit thicker than the Ikea ones
tent peg pot supports
Folded pipe slip on legs witch are tight enough that you can pick up and move the stove around without them falling of.
Tinfoil ash pan and heat reflector
home made billy can fence wire bail
stainless steel pot grip always handy
a long tea spoon and eating spoon
Small aluminium blow poker
Pouch that it fits in
military trangia burner always full just in case
folding handled cup

P1020068.jpg

I tend to carry my drinks in a separate dry bag with snacks in it to :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive had to replace a couple quick after the mrs shouted that there was no where to put the cutlery when washing up. When walking round Ikea and we see the enormous pallet of drainers, she always asks me if we need to put in another just in case. I did a large ss biscuit barrel to suit the medium tataonka billy, works a treat but massive to pack.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
What would you suggest for making the leg holders?
I have found a source for the 'wall tie' legs but I'm not too sure what to use to hold them. Is there an 'off the shelf' item?

pwb

What would you suggest for making the leg holders?
I have found a source for the 'wall tie' legs but I'm not too sure what to use to hold them. Is there an 'off the shelf' item?

Hi tytek,

I used an old length of stainless steel bent to make a slot for the leg , bit of a pain to get the fit right.

DSC01873Small.jpg

I like the look of Warthog 1981's method better to be honest . Looks like he's used spacers instead of bending, far neater.

Hope this helps.

Cheers'
Pete.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I like yours Pete - I prefer the shaped design as there is less to go wrong (or lose).
Warthogs is as good - I just prefer the 1 piece design.

These leg/holders could be fitted to the tops of the stove too.
If you had a bigger pot it would give a stable platform to use.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Yeah mine are just small washers for spacers with a scrap bit of stainless drilled and bolted on.
You don't loose any of the washers I never have just make sure you tighten the bolts right up and they stay sound :)

cheers Russ

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
okies, thanks, thats what i guessed from the pics. have 2 on order (via me mum as nearest ikea to me is 40 miles away or 3 from her!) and will hoefully get in the post by the weekend so i can get fiddling and cutting and burning!! lol

edit 2 add: shes just texted me to say she has them on her drainer! so im getting her old ones and she can have a new set :) (that i am buying of course!!)

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I have been putting a Hobo Stove set together, been searching for months and now got the main pots to make my Hobo Set.

Just need to put some handles on and cut some holes etc.

this little set is two billys in one. the larger one can be used on fires and smaller one on hobo stove.

Billy1.jpg

Billy6.jpg

Billy5.jpg

Billy2.jpg

Billy3.jpg

Billy4.jpg

Also got these 2 little pots, not sure what i can use them for... char cloth maybe
Billy7.jpg

Total cost so far £1

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE