Ikea Hobo Stove - Accessories???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I really need to make one of these. Was thinking of putting a hexy burning inside though so then I can either use fuel or the hexy burner, plus it means I dont have to buy anything new

yes just needs a plate and a couple of skewers thru to set it on and hold it closer to the pan as a shelf
also should allow the use of a meths burner ie trangia or coke can one just like the Honey stove system

with a bit of thought and looking its amazing what you can do and what fits what

looking for a similer drainer to fit my 14cm billy now as well tho it would fit on top of this one i dont want to put dirty stuff or fuel inside a billy

ATB

Duncan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Instore (the old Poundstretchers who ended up with a load of the Woolworth's kitchen stock) had some that size yesterday. About £3 iirc........I was eyeing up their stainless steel trivets :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep :) , it looked huge tbh, I reckon it's intended for the serving spoons.
Our local store goes through stuff so fast or I'd promise to pick one up next time I'm there for you.

They seemed to have a plethora of the old Woolies stuff still coming through though, stainless steel stock pots, herb and spice tins, and the like.

I'm going to feel I wish I'd kept quiet now if you make a journey and they don't have them :sigh: Maybe phone first ?

cheers,
M

no worries can take teh kisds to McDs :eek: on the way back tho I think Holly will want to brew up in the carpark on the hobo stove :rolleyes:

plus im fairly picky anyway it needs to be between 14.5cm to 15cm dia :eek: so I would go expecting not to find it right :D and wouldnt trust the counter monkeys to measure it correctly

O and maplins is near by and i want a USB 400x microscope ........ for some reason :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

Yep :) , it looked huge tbh, I reckon it's intended for the serving spoons.
Our local store goes through stuff so fast or I'd promise to pick one up next time I'm there for you.

They seemed to have a plethora of the old Woolies stuff still coming through though, stainless steel stock pots, herb and spice tins, and the like.

I'm going to feel I wish I'd kept quiet now if you make a journey and they don't have them :sigh: Maybe phone first ?

cheers,
M

Back to Hobo design is it really nessicery to have a door hole cut at all its not difficult to lift the pot and chuck a bit more wood in and a full one burning heats a lot for a long time ?????? definatly more than enough for a brew or a boil in the bag etc probably do some rice to

espesially with my new secret cooking weapon for the Hobo :rolleyes::D well not really its using the insulated wrap ideas the light weight guys do for continuing cooking after the heats turned off
ATB

Duncan

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I used stainless steel wall ties for the pot holder, just cut one of the ends off so as to feed into the hobo. Any builders merchant has these, I will also add a couple to my Saunders Space Packer 2 tent, as I lost a tent peg on Dartmoor.

Reactions: Toddy

Commoner

Jan 29, 2010
Hampshire
Hats off to all the people who have made and shared their hobo stoves! :wow1: Thanks for the ideas. I am well-impressed by the ingenuity and thrift. Fantastic low-tech, idiot proof, green, most of them will still be functioning long after their owners have worn out :)

I have a kelly kettle and usual gas stoves for family but I will defintely have a go at one of these. good forum thread.

conall

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2009
southampton
Sorry some more questions.

Does the number of holes in the IKEA drainer make it more ineffiecient than one with fewer holes.

Also better to have the fuel hole at the bottom or top of the ikea drainer, I can see pros and cons for both.
I had to have a go at making hobo, after making more than my fair share of meths and woodgas stoves. I thought a wind shield of some sort would be an idea and used a 1.25 kg dog food tin with top and bottom cut off and cut down the middle.
It fits inside the hobo between the hobo and the billy and when I used for the 1st time last wk'end which got down to -3, I was very impressed! the wind shield wrapped round the hobo just right and seemed to gassify the wood.

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
How long do you guys find it takes for the hobo to cool down after you use it?

Just thinking if out for a walk, and you make a cuppa. Are you going to have to wait 30 mins for it to be cool enough to pack away?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Just thinking if out for a walk, and you make a cuppa. Are you going to have to wait 30 mins for it to be cool enough to pack away?

With mine, the time it takes me to drink my brew; it's cold enough to pack away.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If mine is too hot when I want to pack it (very rarely so) I pour a little cold water over it or dip it in the stream...works a treat! :)

I guess it depends if you over loaded the fuel and have to wait for it to burn down but the emptypot shouldnt take long

i can pick it up with the pot pliers and empty it and then it cools quickly while you drink up

Hobo5.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Thanks guys.

I got a cheap metal tea caddy from the local pound shop that I have removed a window from to feed fuel into, and drilled holes around the base.

I heated up a mug full of water in an old fishing saucepan the other day and had a coffee in the garden, it was magnificent.

Due to the saucepan totally covering the top of the stove it was extinguishing the flames, so I had to put a couple of thicker lengths of wood on the top of the stove, and then put the saucepan on top off to help with the air flow. I have since drilled new holes around the top of the stove to see if this increase air flow. I could really do with getting myself one of the nice zebra billies that you guys have.

These are truely inspirational threads, and a wonderful forum :)

pwb

espesially with my new secret cooking weapon for the Hobo :rolleyes::D well not really its using the insulated wrap ideas the light weight guys do for continuing cooking after the heats turned off
ATB

Duncan

Me too :).

A pot cozy for the billy made from a cheap car sun shade, also made one for a Crusader cup as well.

DSC02507Small.jpg

Managed to melt it a wee bit, a tad too quick putting the billy in :rolleyes:
don't think the insulation is the most resilient of stuff compared to the proper house insulation .

Cheers,
Pete.

pwb

How do people make their handles? Obviously things such as sugar tins dont come with them

I copied the handle on an M.S.R pot lid ,iirc.

Made from a D-ring held in place by a bent to shape bit of aluminium pop riveted on. A notch filed into the aluminium holds the D-ring upright when needed.

The plastic on the handle is just a bit of insulation from an electric cable.

DSC02509.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

Last edited:

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Now thats proffesional :You_Rock_

I copied the handle on an M.S.R pot lid ,iirc.

Made from a D-ring held in place by a bent to shape bit of aluminium pop riveted on. A notch filled into the aluminium holds the D-ring upright when needed.

The plastic on the handle is just a bit of insulation from an electric cable.

DSC02509.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE