Ikea Hobo Stove - Accessories???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Todays dinner and brew facilities at work :)

100_2464.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

Brewers Whoop

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Somerset
Hi guys.

These stoves look like a really good project. im new to bushcraft and am looking for a project to do at the moment because of the weather going to go and source my materials at the weekend. been looking on the internet but can't find a website that sells the staifix timber ties for the stoves legs. any suggestions where i might find them

Cheers

I think Bradfords list these. Part number 19TIESTF50. £0.34 each. Haven't been in to have a shuftie yet, so not absolutely certain they're the same but it sounds like it.

Mind you: 3 at £0.34 each. Thats more than a quid! (Shakes head and sucks in cheeks).

bush tycoon

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2010
Essex
I think Bradfords list these. Part number 19TIESTF50. £0.34 each. Haven't been in to have a shuftie yet, so not absolutely certain they're the same but it sounds like it.

Mind you: 3 at £0.34 each. Thats more than a quid! (Shakes head and sucks in cheeks).

yer thats them. might have to order some in i think.

Cheers for finding it might great help for the future

Cheers

Jack

pwb

In Regards to the Ikea strainer, what do you use to cut the holes in the strainer i dont think my jig saws up to the task

I've not used Ikea stuff myself , made mine from a woolies drainer ,much the same but Warthog1981 points out is slightly thicker material.

I used a jig saw on mine because it was all I had at the time, wouldn't recommend it though :eek:.
Like hiho I use a Dremel tool now which works great :), suppose tin snips would do the job might not be quite as neat though.

Cheers,
Pete.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
mine was a woolies drainer as well. but from poundstrecher....

I noticed that poundstretcher has bought alot of woolies stuff. I spotted a drainer there the other week while looking for a billy - no luck yet:(

Dec 3, 2009
Liverpool, UK
I bought the 'container of holes' that ocean1975 has bought, so I could make small fires, but I didn't know whether the metal would hold out. I have had it in my wardrobe with stuff in it ready to use for about a year now!

I am amazed that someone else has the same idea as me! Wow, I feel all clever now! :pokenest:

Katanic

Jan 11, 2010
Doncaster
Quick update from my earlier post in the week, i decided to get the grinder out an use that to do my 'cutting'

My plans have been slightly hindered as my local Diy shop has been shut for the last 2 days for some unknown reason, so i cant get hold of those timber brackets for legs, My 'Pot' is/was a stainles steel cafetiere that you could put on your gas/electric oven so no worries with it melting, an rather than removin the handle due to it not sitting right in the holy container i just knocked a chunk out of it instead

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
well ive been scouring all the usual haunts for a while, this is what ive come up with so far. using 1 esbit tab it will boil a mug in about 4 mins, havnt compared that to twigs yet but i look forward to doing that soon. for those who are interested....

outer cooking pot..............125mm h x 100mm w with lid 160mm h, matalan £2.50
hobo burner .....................120mm h x 93mm w, local £ shop £1.50
small cooking pot...............115mm h x 87mm w, tmax £3.00
pot lifter...........................local camping store £1.25
small cup........................... " " " £1.25

i probably wont bother with the windshield shown, less carry i will use whats to hand ,rocks, sticks, bracken, my hat! etc.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

thanks for looking, theres still a few widgets to add, wire for pots and maybe legs, still evolving :)

finally got some piccys of my set up now from its first test use this morning

its a 12cm Zebra (dont see the point of the 10cm ) wich is a nice size

an Asda Drainer £3 with 2 meat skewers to hold up the pot

the billy is a perfect fit in the drainer and leaves a 3/4" space in the bottom once ive cut out for the bail arms this then can house the skewers and a tinder and striker set ( gifted to me in the Members Brantub this year)
in the plate is a cut down pot lifter that is usfull for pouring the pot and lifting the burning stove as well . Still more room here to fit stuff ive a washing powder net bag waiting for ideas:D
(the 14cm one fits a petal fold out steamer insert)

I had a custom bucket bag to fit the main pot space By a guy i met at the Cornish RV which is a work of art (Cheers Woody) and holds coffee sachets and condements etc means it can all be lifted out in one go and kept tidy and the bucket shape with net top gives easy access and keeps its shape

Just a final bag cover to put the whole thing in needed next I ahve one made (by Woody again) thats insulating so you can use it to keep cooking after the heats stopped and also put it on your lap to eat out of with out burning your lap :D and keep the soot of your kit when packed.

Stove lit and brewing up needs the holes opening up at the rear bottom and top to allow more air flow
Hobo4.jpg

first packing stage

Hobo3.jpg

fully packed
Hobo2.jpg

lives in the side pouch on top of the Hennesy hammock

hobo1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:
Reactions: pwb and Toddy

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I made mine from the Woolworth drainer £2.50 Brighton marina shop.
Used it this week Twice in the garden to cook kippers, in the dark as well for my tea.
Works well pleased with the results, but there is going to be a mark 2 in the pipeline with less holes and a carry handle.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
This may seem a bit bone so I apologise. I have been looking around quite a bit, TK Max, Wilkos, Dunhelm Mills etc. The end result is buying a few pots to play with.

The pots that will fit inside the IKEA strainer seem a bit too small to use as I am thinking about having a cooking pot that could do two peoples meal. Ones that will fit outside the strainer seem bigger but would they cause problems with mucking up the inside of the cooking pot.

Also where would I get the stainless wire bails, my searches seem to turn up jewellery.

Apologies but I am really into this.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Sorry some more questions.

Does the number of holes in the IKEA drainer make it more ineffiecient than one with fewer holes.

Also better to have the fuel hole at the bottom or top of the ikea drainer, I can see pros and cons for both.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I really need to make one of these. Was thinking of putting a hexy burning inside though so then I can either use fuel or the hexy burner, plus it means I dont have to buy anything new

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
You also get two sizes of IKEA drainer. Tall and... not so tall.
Not sure of the best location for the hole. Mine's in the middle.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE