Ikea Hobo Stove - Accessories???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Unless it has totally passed you by the Ikea 'Drainer' stove is the best bit of DIY bush craft kit to come out of Sweden.

What kit do you fit inside yours? I'm asking as I'm looking build up a kit and I want to get the most out of my set up.
We are all familiar with 'Russian Dolls' set up fitting bits inside each other like billys, cups, etc...

So this is a show us yours type thread - Please let us know where you got your other bits too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oooh, I've got a posh set up :D
Warthog1981 made mine, and legs for it, and the billy that sits inside, and the blow poker.
I've got three bowls, a mug, a cork mat for insulation under my mug when I set it down, a cutting board and a set of cutlery with it too, so it's a meal maker.
I only made the linen bag that it all fits neatly inside :eek:

I'll go dig it out of the shed and take a photo........after I wade my way through the snowy landscape that is my back garden :sigh:

cheers,
Toddy

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
myhobostovesetup005.jpg

Coffee caddy from Wilkinsons

Vegetable strainer from Woolworths

Container from MOD

Not showing spoon, collapsable mug

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Check out Waylands HOBO PIC thread for mine with plenty pics near the start, using an Ikea drainer. Ive modded it further since by raising the billy using a tuna tin (that fits inside the sweets tin when packed) to increase the draw with means less blow poking.
The tuna tin with holes drilled in the side, sits on the supports.

Trangia, fuel bottle and a bag of kitchen/stove items fits inside. Mug and brew kit too or these go in my side bag for mooching round camp.

All goes inside a homemade drawstring bag made from the bottom of a pair of combats (idea from Spamel)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My photos won't come out :( Like the shrunken jumper thread, everything's weird under these daylight bulbs.

Himself is trying to clean the photos up, but I think I'll just need to try it again in the morning.

atb,
M

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
This is a great start!

I this going into a 'my set up is better than yours' arguement!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nah, I'm already eyeing up thon rice cooker thingie of MartinK9's :)
It's a good idea, we all get to see other ideas and bits of must haves.

cheers,
Toddy

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Well i have got round to making a hobbo stove:)The bag is made out of a old combat trouser leg,great idea that one so simple:)The legs are from spare cupboard door bolts ;) Good fun sorcing all the materials for this project.

Reactions: Toddy

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
Well i have got round to making a hobbo stove:)The bag is made out of a old combat trouser leg,great idea that one so simple:)The legs are from spare cupboard door bolts ;) Good fun sorcing all the materials for this project.

Can you give us a run down of your gear in your setup?

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Graet idea for a thread and also super to see the set ups (not done one of these myself yet! :eek:)
Keep them coming, I'm getting all thoughtful now!

I'm going to buck the trend here. (ducks and waits for the stone chucking to begin)
I don't know why everyone loves these. They are dreadful bits of kit. Take up a fair bit of room, only burn twigs which take ages to boil a pot and need constant tending. I'd much rather bring a trangia or else make a proper fire.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Depends how you make them. I prefer a real fire too but you're not always able to use one.

If I've got my hobo I have all the kit I need if I can have a fire but if I can't, I can use twigs, meths or hexy instead.

For me, it's the multiple options in one small package that serves my needs.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ooooooops , cross post with Wayland

:lmao:

Well, yes and no.
My Trangia set up needs fuel carried, the hobo stove is like the kelly kettle, it'll burn anything I put in it.
I can take as much or as little of it as I choose along with me, and there's a kind of satisfaction in making up a set that works for yourself.
It's a real fire but one that leaves no trace, it suits for even those sites that don't allow for open fires, like peatlands, or fragile woodlands where it's really dry.
It's the stove and the cookpots/kettle/ eating implements all in one tidy wee bag :approve:
Besides, it can be totally made from throwaways, it doesn't need to be Ikea this that and the other. It can be an exercise in innovation and adaptability.

Does it show that I like mine ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I know what you mean Celt Ginger - but I still find the Hobo an essential part of my kit.
I try to use natural or free fuels as much as possible - not only as a tight fisted Cardi but also as aa person trying to cut down his impact on planet Earth - so twigs, off cuts and failed projects are all used up in a smal fire that is very "fuel focused" in operation so that little is wasted. If I need a longer/hotter burn I use my home made fuel blocks - these are made from candle stubs given to me by my church after they are deemed of no further use to the church and are going to be binned, mixed with sawdust and whitling curls and moulded in small foil containers from Egg Custard Tarts etc. Everything so far recycled or free as well as efficient.
My Hobos are made from strainers I have bought in Charity shops - so are 3 way winners: cheaper than normal, recycled and a Charity gains! - with recycled bolts for legs to give an airflow underneath, and recycled knitting needles or found tent pegs as pot supports.
I find the hobo quick and easy to get going, low bulk - with the billy inside the hobo, tinder in a pouch between its legs and a bit of a brew kit in the billy all of it packed into a leather pouch made from recycled leather, along with a recycled tin windshield, a couple of fuel blocks and my spork. Much more compact and ecofriendly than a trangia...and a lot cheaper to buy and run!

The fuel is non volatile and will not taint my food, though it does soot up the billy a bit.

There is a sence of achievement using something you have made yourself!

If I am on a canoe trip or similar the Hobo set up is quick and easy to use to make a brew or hot meal using minimal fuel and leaves no fire scar... all plus points over a large open fire.

On many sites where open fires are not permitted the Hobo is accepted as a contained stove.

I own a couple of Trangias - but use the Hobo more often than either of them - and on fixed camps prefer a roaring open fire to the Hobo.

But the Hobo is my friend and I like using them even if they do need a lot of tending.... :)

Ive got the Asda version £3 the 12cn billy fits in side it exactly forteh diameter with cut outs for the bail arm pivots and leaves 3/4" space in the bottom for some wire and grill bits etc

havent used it yet needs a few more air holes etc

also a SMA baby milk tin the large one also fits the 12cm exactly :D

the sainsburys flower steamer fits in the 14cm in the extra plate pot in the top

ive aslo got some very good mesh bags made buy a guy i met at teh Cornish RV that fit inside the billy so you can load and unload it easily with out it gotng every where when your using the billy

oh and a insulated wraparound so you an keep the food warm or continue cooking of teh fire etc and stop teh soot and heat getting on your trousers if you eat out of the pan still in development :rolleyes:

will get pictures soon ( keep meaning to )

ATB

Duncan

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
My photos won't come out :( Like the shrunken jumper thread, everything's weird under these daylight bulbs.

Himself is trying to clean the photos up, but I think I'll just need to try it again in the morning.

atb,
M

Have you not got a setting in your camera software to correct for your normal house lights Toddy?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Apparantly so, but the new bulbs we fitted are supposedly energy saving full spectrum daylight ones. Certainly easy to see with but under them white comes out shocking pink, regardless of what I do to adjust the camera or the photo software on the photos :sigh:
From outside our house looks as though it's full of icy blue light.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE