Ignore Function

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I think I’ve worked it out! A spambot! It all just makes sense now. I remember when the journalist Jon Ronson was targeted by one that would imitate a real person. Makes perfect sense now!

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Is a certain unpopular person trolling here now Stew?
Yep and it just makes sense that they’re not real. Once they’ve started in a thread it just continues like they’ve finally found it and the posting style is like it’s a computer. Just reminded me of Jon Robson’s podcast of when he had someone imitating him on twitter. I can see it as doable on a forum as well.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Nah, a computer wouldn't make all those grammatical mistakes or insert those annoying superfluous symbols and characters. TBH, there is a resemblance in style to someone that was on here a year or so ago and ended up being banned - I wonder :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yep and it just makes sense that they’re not real. Once they’ve started in a thread it just continues like they’ve finally found it and the posting style is like it’s a computer. Just reminded me of Jon Robson’s podcast of when he had someone imitating him on twitter. I can see it as doable on a forum as well.
Aha, well the ignore button is handy :)

Reactions: nigelp

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Nah, a computer wouldn't make all those grammatical mistakes or insert those annoying superfluous symbols and characters. TBH, there is a resemblance in style to someone that was on here a year or so ago and ended up being banned - I wonder :)
That's what the computer wants you to think!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
The problem with ignore is that it only works when you are logged in.
Like a lot of people I browse the forum without being logged in, so you get to see (as I did when I just came on to the forum) that some names are just spamming threads with...what?
So discussions just end up getting swamped and it turns you away because they have the time on their hands to hit every thread and you just think to yourself, 'oh I can't be bothered to wade through and have to ignore them when every second post is by them'.
So it forces people away.

Reactions: birchwood

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Like a lot of people I browse the forum without being logged in, so you get to see (as I did when I just came on to the forum) that some names are just spamming threads with...what?
So discussions just end up getting swamped and it turns you away because they have the time on their hands to hit every thread and you just think to yourself, 'oh I can't be bothered to wade through and have to ignore them when every second post is by them'.
I always use the forum logged in. That way it remembers which threads I have looked at and the latest posts are shown first.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would have thought a lot of people browse it logged in. It’s a simple solution to your problem there.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’m always logged in but the function is still hit and miss, I still see some posts from ignored users. It’s a glitch.

Still filtering out the majority is better than nothing

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
If you have a problem with posts and any form of harassment then report it to the mods.
We can only deal with issues if you click the report button.

I stopped frequenting SOTP because of one particularly annoying user. He wasn’t breaking rules, just reduced the joy I got from participating.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I stopped frequenting SOTP because of one particularly annoying user. He wasn’t breaking rules, just reduced the joy I got from participating.

And there's the rub.
What do you do when someone's not breaking the rules, just reducing the enjoyment?
Especially when that person is reducing it for the many, who all have to suffer.
They could do like you suggest - leave. But who does that serve? Certainly not the enjoyment of that forum, least of all that actual forum itself.
So what do you do if there's someone who's not actually breaking the rules but acting like a vampire and sucking the life out of it?
I suppose I'll have to leave that as a rhetorical question.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
And there's the rub.
What do you do when someone's not breaking the rules, just reducing the enjoyment?
Especially when that person is reducing it for the many, who all have to suffer.
They could do like you suggest - leave. But who does that serve? Certainly not the enjoyment of that forum, least of all that actual forum itself.
So what do you do if there's someone who's not actually breaking the rules but acting like a vampire and sucking the life out of it?
I suppose I'll have to leave that as a rhetorical question.

Generally the mods get together with Tony. It’s his forum after all and discuss the situation.

Sometimes a polite message to an individual reminding them to curb the enthusiasm is all that’s necessary.

i believe Tony has a range of settings in the software for more direct action.

i would still recommend that you report posts or message a mod. If we get lots of complaints about an individual then we can take action.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE