Ignore Function

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Verbosity.
While as a fairly standard male Finn I have to agree on that I must say that I have read here fairly long essays on interesting subjects where there were few idle words. Information content would get my vote, I don't feel I have the time for word salads.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Actually, the things that annoy me about some posts/posters are:

1) asking for advice, then when getting response from people with many years' experience, and in some cases professional experience, start to argue with it (questioning is fine), and/or jump on YouTube and download a number of videos by people that often have less experience or knowledge than BCUK members

2) the inclusion of grammar and text that can only be described as 'affected' to stand out or purposefully appear different. Being different is fine; no-one is like me :)

3) Anti-this, anti-that, everyone is to blame except for me, the world is against me, the world owes me this, the world owes me that type posts. I have been 'knocked down' many times in my life; I blame myself for not dodging, but I've always stood back up on my own.

Sorry OT, too verbose? :)

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm a flawed character no doubt and I hope I don't irritate you lot at all, or enough to ignore me.

Unfortunately I'm not very good at letting things go and being bombarded (and returning it) gives me a feeling (makes me a person) I don't enjoy, the ignore button feels like it's more for everyone's sanity and peace than just mine, although I like the idea of it being a temporary cool down button.

It's especially difficult when I can only imagine that face to face, conversations would likely be easier to stomach and attitudes wouldn't get lost in translation..

Reactions: TeeDee

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
While as a fairly standard male Finn I have to agree on that I must say that I have read here fairly long essays on interesting subjects where there were few idle words. Information content would get my vote, I don't feel I have the time for word salads.
I wasn't certain Finns could string that many sentences together.

Definitely not ones for small talk.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's especially difficult when I can only imagine that face to face, conversations would likely be easier to stomach and attitudes wouldn't get lost in translation..

That's true, typing can come over very terse at times. But also, if we were chatting in a pub around a table, I would get up and go talk to someone else with one or two of the posters.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Actually, the things that annoy me about some posts/posters are:

1) asking for advice, then when getting response from people with many years' experience, and in some cases professional experience, start to argue with it (questioning is fine), and/or jump on YouTube and download a number of videos by people that often have less experience or knowledge than BCUK members

2) the inclusion of grammar and text that can only be described as 'affected' to stand out or purposefully appear different. Being different is fine; no-one is like me :)

3) Anti-this, anti-that, everyone is to blame except for me, the world is against me, the world owes me this, the world owes me that type posts. I have been 'knocked down' many times in my life; I blame myself for not dodging, but I've always stood back up on my own.

Sorry OT, too verbose? :)
A+

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a funny thing, this posting online.

We lack the details, the social cues, the facial expressions of conversation, and even the smilies don't add that beyond a superficial edge.
It can be very difficult to find a balance and not upset or offend even with the best of intentions and no inclination to offend.

It's a shame because the reality of 'bushcrafting' is that folks are quietly welcoming, happy to explain, and generally of the inclination to be helpful where they can.

Verbose ? Me ? surprisingly in real life I'm quietly spoken :) but I speed read and I touch type, so online like this is quick for me.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list; I found I had to keep undoing it to read what was said because someone complained :sigh: just too much bother.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The one whom is causing me an issue at the moment, I am not even sure is a human, or at least an individual, their writing style and post contents are too much like the content generated by an artificial intelligence, being tested on unwitting forums by their creators in a Turing test. Some of the posts may have been created or moderated by a human to start with, but now the chat bot is doing it‘s own thing.

That seems somewhat of an affront to artificial intelligence.

Can we try on the more apt term - artificial stupidity? :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Self pity and a belief in an invisible oppressive force is the typical self created abdication of personal responsibility.

George Bernard Shaw —Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.’

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Self pity and a belief in an invisible oppressive force is the typical self created abdication of personal responsibility.
I see this a lot. If everyone who thought they were being watched or tracked was, every other person on earth would surely work for the invisible force?

My personal hate “what chance did I have?”

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I see this a lot. If everyone who thought they were being watched or tracked was, every other person on earth would surely work for the invisible force?

My personal hate “what chance did I have?”

Indeed
I'm not saying we have equity in life. We don't. That IS just life.

But the thing is , the longer one stays in a zone of self pity , the longer one doesn't take proactive account of their lives and move forward - I don't care at what speed or how how far, just keep moving forward.

#EDIT- This isn't to say I Haven't done it on occasion myself - I have! But the time spent being angry why 'x' was happening to me was time wasted. This is why Stoic philosophy can be so useful for day to day lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is it possible for someone to see how many "ignore" lists they are on?
I am getting paranoid reading this thread!
I was actually wondering if the Mods and Admin here can see how many people have recently put a particular annoying person on ignore because that would demonstrate just how much resentment they're creating on the forum

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The issue has been dealt with, and we're hoping that folks will just quietly move along without really stirring about it.

I know the Mods can't see who has put who on their Ignore list, I honestly don't know about Admin, but I suspect they can't either. :dunno:

Reactions: Mesquite

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
When it comes to people causing issues it's easier for members to let us know, just a quick report from a few people and it creates an unmissable list for us to see and take note of the issue and then evaluate.

As Espy said, there's options for seeing who's been ignored but nothing out the box.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE