Ignore Function

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
And there's the rub.
What do you do when someone's not breaking the rules, just reducing the enjoyment?
Especially when that person is reducing it for the many, who all have to suffer.
They could do like you suggest - leave. But who does that serve? Certainly not the enjoyment of that forum, least of all that actual forum itself.
So what do you do if there's someone who's not actually breaking the rules but acting like a vampire and sucking the life out of it?
I suppose I'll have to leave that as a rhetorical question.
You should report them.
A certain gentleman who posted a lot and rarely broke rules but annoyed a lot of people was finally banned for the good of the forum. Members who were leaving because of him, or wanted to, had quiet words with one of the moderators. It would have been better and quicker if they had used that Report function. If people just ignore, or wander off, or only mention to a mod as they go why they are not happy, it is very hard to make a decision when the offending party isn't really breaking rules.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
You should report them.
A certain gentleman who posted a lot and rarely broke rules but annoyed a lot of people was finally banned for the good of the forum. Members who were leaving because of him, or wanted to, had quiet words with one of the moderators. It would have been better and quicker if they had used that Report function. If people just ignore, or wander off, or only mention to a mod as they go why they are not happy, it is very hard to make a decision when the offending party isn't really breaking rules.

Chris put that far better than I did.

Report any issues.

Reactions: nigelp

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
@Tony

thank you for your continued efforts to figure out the known issues which prove problematic to recreate

thus far some valid raised observations by members about the ignore feature, some historic and some more recent observations

i do not know if this feature is built in to the forum software with a on-off switch or if this feature is an add-on either by the makers of the forum or a third party, either way the flaws are as follows

1. it is hit and miss whether or not it does work
  2. is one-sided leaving open abuse by the ignored to continue [as recently witnessed by @C_Claycomb ]
  3. only works when logged in

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
You should report them.
that there is pushing folk away when they read this for fear of being different and can cause loss of revenue as folk will be turned off and no longer want to pay for upgrades for simple things that are free on other forums such as posting images

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Personally the ignore button working or not working isn't going to stop me paying for the membership soon...

I find majorities of amazing people outweigh the minorities of pains in the buttocks..

Reactions: oldtimer

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You should report them.
Trouble is what do you report them for Chris?

It's one thing to report a post because it clearly breaches the forum rules but to report someone that is staying within the rules but being an annoying idiot and spoiling your enjoyment of the forum is harder to quantify and put into words.

Reactions: knowledge=gain

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
Personally the ignore button working or not working isn't going to stop me paying for the membership soon...

I find majorities of amazing people outweigh the minorities of pains in the buttocks..
its not the ignore function that has put me off upgrading it is the attitudes towards the newbies from a select few clique members, which has bee recently pointed out

whereby a comment by a mod in this thread confirmed that mods will remove those who do not break the rules

thus any newbies will be turned off from paying for upgrades for fear of beinf

1. new
  2. different than the norm

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england

It's one thing to report a post because it clearly breaches the forum rules but to report someone that is staying within the rules but being an annoying idiot and spoiling your enjoyment of the forum is harder to quantify and put into words.
to further add

we have no bearing on how others interpret our posts, just like an artist with their paintings or sculptures

if others choose to allow a comment or comments to annoy them, then that is on them and not the authour

we are all adults and can scroll on by for comments that do not fit

report and push folk out for the sake of one [1] or more who allows themselves to be annoyed is plain rude and impertinent and as another i read recently the word [childish]

would they get a bus driver to throw grandma off the bus just because of a difference of opinion or do not like what grandma said in a conversation to a fellow passenger...??

further more would the bus driver throw grandma off the bus...??

or

would the bus driver throw the vexatious complainant off the bus...??

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
when i first joined i am sure i saw a message that one [1] have to upgrade to post images

see the upgrades here

where it clearly stipulates

hence why you have not been able to see images in any of my posts or comments

You’re free to choose to become a full member or not. There is no pressure to fund the forum.

I have not witnessed any cliques belittling other newer members. If you have any examples of such behaviour it should be reported. There is a report button on every post.

I certainly would not tolerate any bullying or elitist behaviour nor would any of the other mods.

It is possible to staying within the letter of of the rules whilst deliberately being provocative and hijacking a thread. Generally dominating a room.

In a pub or bus someone is able to read the visual clues and adapt their conversation. If they persist in being over bearing normally they will be told to moderate their behaviour. At a last resort you tend to avoid inviting the friend that lowers the tone and spoils the conversation.

Much easier to do in person than on a media such as a forum but it’s still possible to strive for adult interaction.

We don’t always agree and sometimes we inadvertently offend people. However if the majority of a persons posts are offensive to a group then perhaps that person should seek a different audience.

The moderators give their time for free and we try to keep the forum free of conflict. A small woodland glade of calm in the tempestuous forest that is the web.

We get it right 99% of the time.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@knowledge=gain

Right...but a sculptor or an artist has to accept that if they want others to like, accept or buy their work, then they may have to potentially alter or moderate their own work to allow it to appeal to more people.

I'm relatively new to the forum - coming up 2 years and I did my best to observe the room before coming in all guns blazing... I didn't alter who I am, I just remained observant and did my best to know my audience. From my observations I found that the forum was for the most part a calm environment reflective of the peace we all hope to find on a nice day out.

I feel that I've fallen into a trap of posting 100 times more than I want to, on subjects I have little interest in vocalising differences on... I need a detox..

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

I agree, not easy, but very few people report posts and more often get into arguments. A report just stating that X person is hogging a thread, posting factually incorrect information, derailing the original intent of the thread, remarking that a conversation is veering towards politics or conspiracies and that maybe a moderator should keep an eye on the thread. Similarly, if you find yourself vexed beyond reason and find it necessary to put the kettle on and do something else because X person's posts are rubbing you wrong, say that too. Better to vent quietly to the moderators than on the forum.

There have been several cases recently where threads have gone badly astray and no one reported anything until 20 some posts down that path and people are starting to get personal with their remarks.

Report isn't just for reporting people breaking rules. It is a tool to draw attention to developing problems too.

Reactions: Broch

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
I have not witnessed any cliques belittling other newer members. If you have any examples of such behaviour it should be reported. There is a report button on every post.

I certainly would not tolerate any bullying or elitist behaviour nor would any of the other mods.
correct me if i do not fully comprehend this

if a paid member calls a new member a quote "knob" by way of posting an image of a knob as recently as yesterday just because a new member would not post on an open forum about their work status, which was witnessed by @C_Claycomb and several other members whereby @C_Claycomb aptly removed the insulting post along with others and put a comment in the thread to reflect this

the paid member who posted the insulting image toward the new member should then be reprimanded and dealt with accordingly...??

notice it is a paid member that posted the insulting rude image toward a new member

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
No, I'm not a paid member.
And it had nothing to do with you (or anyone else) being unwilling to tell anyone about your employment status.
I couldn't care less about your, or anyone else's, employment status.
However, it did have EVERYTHING to do with your general tone, demeanour and behaviour.
I say that solely for clarity.

The above advice given about reporting disruptive behaviour, whether or not it directly breaks the rules, is an extremely good one and one I shall follow.

Again, I mention this as a point of clarity, and not because I wish to re-ignite anything. If I'm going to be castigated for something, I want to be castigated for the right thing.

Reactions: nigelp

knowledge=gain

Jun 25, 2022
england
No, I'm not a paid member.
And it had nothing to do with you (or anyone else) being unwilling to tell anyone about your employment status.
I couldn't care less about your, or anyone else's, employment status.
However, it did have EVERYTHING to do with your general tone, demeanour and behaviour.
I say that solely for clarity.

The above advice given about reporting disruptive behaviour, whether or not it directly breaks the rules, is an extremely good one and one I shall follow.

Again, I mention this as a point of clarity, and not because I wish to re-ignite anything. If I'm going to be castigated for something, I want to be castigated for the right thing.
so you actually admit to the posting of the image of a knob which others also found insulting pulled you up on and @C_Claycomb had to remove said image...??

to me a gift upgrade is as equal as a payment, thereby construes as paid member

and for clarity others pointed out that the image of the knob you posted was because you disagreed with my comments for not posting personalised details that was asked a few times by another member and they were pulled up for their bullying comment

lets not split hairs here the truth is the truth no matter how you dress it up

plus others have noted that i have not been bad toward anyone else, their comments are also there for proof of claim and truth and purity

most comments are still in the thread for proof of claim and clarity for truth and purity

bona-fides

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yeah, of course it was me who posted the image - it had my name on the post!
And no, I'm not a gifted member (in any sense of the phrase) either.
I'm as much a member as you are.
And just because one or two others also thought I was criticising you because you didn't want to reveal your employment status proves nothing. Except they were just as wrong as you. Look, I've got no reason to lie to you - I don't respect you enough - so more than happy to be honest and transparent.
Anyhow.
Deal with it how you like. I'm not going to get drawn into a conversation with you because it will get nowhere. You (and anyone else for that matter) can draw whatever conclusions you like from that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE