if you could?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
in one of mr mears episodes he says there are two things he would like to travel back in time to see
one being seeing the first person make fire by friction and the other being seeing the first person work out an igloo as a means of shelter

got me thinking what would your two things to see be? (sensible ish only please)
for me it would have to be seeing how the aborigines learnt the various methods of making food safe (you know bake it then grate it then leave it to soak for 3 days then cook it again then you have edible food but only soak it two days and start wishing your loved ones good bye)
the other would be the first person to use a flint as a cutting item and working out flint knapping
how about you?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd love to see the first man domesticate an Auroch - and the first to train a falcon to the glove

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
The first person to have a domesticated wolf in there tribe... that would be a wonderful point in human history, when an animal was not just viewed as a food resource.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Great thread

1, Id like to go back to ancient Egypt and meet their surveyors and see the constuction of the pyramids
2, id like to go back to yesterday and order another maxpedition versipack then i could be as happy tomorrow playing with it for the first time as i am today

more than anything though i just want to go back to the woods :D

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I would want to see a primitive hunt from 1000's of years ago to see exactly how the "hunter gatherers" hunted and gathered and I would also want to see the first invention of the wheel.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'd like to go back 400 million years or so and see the biggest spider species ever. The only fossil we have is 44cm (18 inches) long in the body, and there's nothing whatsoever to indicate that it is an adult.

:D

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The first person to have a domesticated wolf in there tribe... that would be a wonderful point in human history, when an animal was not just viewed as a food resource.

Considering animals just as food resources is a relatively recent concept ( in human evolution) as is the obscenity of animal husbandry. Critters have held a very different place in the conciousness of what we call primitive peoples & even with our own ancestors before sedentarisation.

The domestication of the wolf was quite a long process so you'd better take sandwiches :) I'd be on that trip too, I'd like to know if the domestication started around 15,000 years ago as is currently believed or over 135,000 years ago as some modern researchers claim.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would like to see the look in Alan Turing's and Tommy Flowers's eyes when the first proof that they had the right systems of mind and machine to crack the cyphers they needed for the first time,

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Go and persuade Socrates to not be such a pest...That way I might not have to spend so much time on him in college.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1. I'd like to study pre-Columbian Aztec, Mayan, and Incan empires.
2. Likewise with Middle Eastern civilization from 3500 BC until 300 BC.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I'd like to go back and meet the Mayan guy who came up with there calendar and ask him. "Hey what do you suppose happens when it runs out?"

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im still waiting for the Singularity...

(Now your going to say `But of course, most computers are smarter than you already.`)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Seeing Carcharodon Megalodon would be cool, but I'd need a really big boat. Seeing the planetoid hitting the earth and creating the moon would be cool too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE