If you can only wear it.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Heres a challenege for all of you and has the added effect of helping me to filter my kit down to bare minimum.

Part 1

Design a kit list to be carried daily, wearing kit eg, medicine pouch, pockets, wallet and key ring carry etc. No bumbag, no shoulder bag etc. This kit must provide for complete shelter and arrangements for one night minimum, but still have the tools for it to be everything you need to make more permanent shelters. You must remain completely mobile, and for freedom of movement test, be able to run jump and roll on concrete...
Also, NO coat, this is the summer...

You can use any kit available even if you don't have it but know of it but lets assume that you know it's good kit.

Part 2
Using a small shoulder bag or back pack design a kit to be grabbed if heading into the woods, that is still light enough to run with.
This is not to be a bug out bag, but instead just a few additional things to make sure that if you are heading out to the woods for a wander and a play you have all you need even if you forget the time and have to bed down, or the weather changes. Perhaps a bit of food in this one just to get through the night though.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Id go for something along the lines of a multipocket waistcoat/fishing vest. You could stitch just about anything you wanted into them. It depends if its a survival tin type of kit or regular use.
(if you ever read pulp adventure stories from the 30's, Doc Savage had a jacket like this, but then again, he was Doc Savage :lmao: )
IIRC there was a link to a waistcoat kit somewhere...

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Probably cheating as I wouldn't wear this to work

Great Kilt, with the XS material thrown over the shoulder. Enough to make a bed out of.

Sporran acting as a possibles pouch, SAK, tobacco pouch with tinder, lighter and a firesteel wrapped in elastic bands, wire saw, chocolate bar, 3m length of paracord. (maybe tomahawk head if there was enough room)

Sgian Dhu in the sock

Same as above but would have small First Aid kit, jacket, packed lunch, chocolate bars, kendal mint cake, crisps, water, metal cup, cupasoups, Bivi bag, wool jumper all in a sabre 45.

I am assuming I didn't intend to stay overnight but was forced to.

Edit
forgot about toilet paper. :eek:

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
The spooran is cheating.
What I am trying to do is find alternative methods of carry that other people use and have had success with.
I am breaking my own it down and use my own ideas, my only problem is when running, some pockets are thrown around rather too much.
So
IF you use it and can run in it, and roll with it it counts otherwise it doesn't. Any bag requires additional thought as to speed and coordination in the above activities though it does not make them impossible they become impaired.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20010025384.html

http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/007859.php

Ok, so these ideas may not be the most sensible I've ever seen, but it is food for thought.
I remember seeing a newspaper article about a bloke who had sewn all this survival equipment into his business suit so that he would always be prepared. It weighed 16kg from memory....

Not sure if fits in, but a poncho made from silnylon with a aluminium coating (can't remember the exact term) would provide warmth to some degree, rain gear and shelter.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I have been googling those ideas for over an hour now actually, specifically poncho/tarps and some of them do look worth while, I also got to thinking if you have a water proof ponch, why not a poncho liner cut so it can be a blanket, out of wool, or even modify an army wool blanket to do the job. Add a hammock and that would be you set to go, but thats stuff needs a bag.

Which also got me to thinking about cloaks. DO cloaks have any benefit in the wilds? excluding frodo's version.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
Pity about the sporran :)

For walking around wearing a survival kit I would have to go for a woolen long coat with poachers pockets and maybe a couple of extra pockets sewn in. I should be able to carry everything I need in that.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
A simple homemade idea for carrying stuff which bounces around in a pocket is this;

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=721.0

I like to use them in twos for phones or multitools, using several could allow a customised first aid kit or survival blanket to be carried around the belt.

They're not as versatile as pockets as you need to make them the precise size for the object you want to hold, but they perform well when active and are simple to make.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats a great idea Moff8, I used that in a fanfic some years back!

I myself use a fishermans waistcoat at work. (I need to carry all sorts of things yet I cant have a bag.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE