I wish it were Autumn

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm hot, sticky, and half slept. It's been so hot and humid here this week that I can't sleep. By 3.30am last night I gave up trying and went outside to curl up in one of the garden chairs beside the pond to try and cool down and doze. Hedgehogs are noisy beggars aren't they?....'specially when the moggie decides to play too, it rather scuppered the dozing in the peace and quiet :eek: , and it got better when the magpies woke up and annoyed the squirrels in the big birch beside the fence. The blackies got in on the act too and then I felt a stabbing pain in my foot and found one of those d*mned berry bugs had bitten me and my foot is now burning itchy :sigh:
The house is like a sauna *again* tonight, even the cat is panting :( I can't wait for that first cool breath of fresh air smell that says 'Autumn'.
Maybe a good thunderstorm would do the trick :dunno:

Does anyone know where I can get hold of white no-seeum mesh? I've got every window open but I'm fed up with the insect population trying to take over. The 'window mesh' I bought doesn't keep the tiny buggits, like midgies and spiderlings out.

atb,
Toddy

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Know exactly how you feel mate, I'm sitting here on my todd, little boy asleep upstairs and my misses and little girl at the hospital :( It's roasting hot here and even hotter at the hospital. My little girl has an infection of some sort and is being kept in and I'm just stuck here worrying in the heat.

Sorry for taking over the thread, just hot, tired, lonely and worried.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds miserable Grimnir :( Kind of puts my moaning into perspective.
I hope everything works out fine for your family and your daughter recovers quickly. It's astonishing how resilient kids can be and hopefully things will seem better in the morning
atb,
Mary

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Grimnir Hope the little one is ok. It's miserable being ill but when it's hot it's really horrible.

Very hot here too went home from office today as thought was about to start throwing up! Fourth floor, green house with no air con is painful.

Although I'm clearly a bit of a wimp!

Pib

leon-1

Although I love the Autumn I actually am enjoying this warm spell, the heat can be a little oppressive at times, but we may as well make the most of it whilst we can. The ambient temp here this morning at 0530hrs was 23 degrees C and now the sun is cresting the trees, soon it'll get warm again:)

Pib, you need to drink more water, nausea can be brought on by dehydration.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
it is baking inside my house and i cant get to sleep, even if i do get to sleep i keep waking up in the night. but the school holidays (6 weeks) are in two days so i will be sleeping outside alot so that will be a bit cooler
leon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's still hot and stuffy but it's overcast this morning; I slept out in the garden again this morning, I think I've seen dawn everyday this week.....which is kind of cool ( literally! :D ) I reckon I'm awake before the birds these days :rolleyes: There's a tremendous amount of wildlife around, even in my sort of suburban garden.

Cheers,
Toddy

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thankfully I'm just home from a spell working away - working night shifts and trying to sleep in a caravan during the hot days - bit of a killer really. It's not even cool in the early hours here and is predicted to get very humid for the next few days.
I'm in agreement Toddy - roll on autumn!

Best wishes for the family Grimnir

ATB

Ogri the trog

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Grimnir said:
Know exactly how you feel mate, I'm sitting here on my todd, little boy asleep upstairs and my misses and little girl at the hospital :( It's roasting hot here and even hotter at the hospital. My little girl has an infection of some sort and is being kept in and I'm just stuck here worrying in the heat.

Sorry for taking over the thread, just hot, tired, lonely and worried.

Sorry to hear about your little girl, hope she improves faster than me. I was diagnosed with tonsilitis on Monday eve with a temp of 104, I think I'm just getting below 100 but it's been a miserable week with a temperature in this weather. But then, as a teacher I would be insane to wish for Autumn. Metcheck reckon Autumn will be here at thend of next week. Group wishing works!!!

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Update on my little girl:

Lauren is now being put on a drip for fluids. She's looking no better than she did when she went in :( so she's going to be there at least another several hours yet. She peaked at 104 last night but that's going back down again now.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Grimnir said:

Lauren is now being put on a drip for fluids. She's looking no better than she did when she went in :( so she's going to be there at least another several hours yet. She peaked at 104 last night but that's going back down again now.

Our thoughts are with you mate, wishing her a speedy, full recovery. Let us know how she gets on.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Grimnir said:

Not nice.........All the best for her Grimnir

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Have to agree with Leon, I am enjoying the heat, though Digging patio's becomes very hard in the afternoon (am taking the day off today to re energise).
I do feel for people who struggle with the heat, because I used to. I remember lying in a bed of sweat trying to get to sleep, and then walking round like a zombie the next day. My boy was crying the other night, he was over tired and so hot and unable to sleep.
Still, its a bit cooler today and we even had a few drops of rain last night, though you wouldn't of thought so looking out this morning (all dry again)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Grimnir said:

Really sorry to here this. Hope she recovers fully and very soon. We have had it really hot here in Scotland too. Where I live is 1000 feet uo and it is still very uncomfortable during the night. I read about a good tip. Visit your 24hour Tesco, or similar, and walk up and down the frozen food aisles! Good as air conditioning aparently :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a 24 hour Asda in Hamilton :cool: I could get the messages at the same time as a nice cool daun'er :D I tried the wet flannel, (I think HWMBLT would object to the sheet being wetted, he doesn't seem to mind the heat, ) and it gives some relief, then I found a sprayer bottle and filled it with water :D
There's actually a gentle, cool breeze tonight :red: :1244:

Grimner, we all hope for the quickest recovery for your daughter, and an end to the family's worrying and stress.
:grouphug:

atb,
Toddy

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I was at a historic market yesterday and it was so hot that the heals of my girlfriends shoes melted :eek: they are now half an inch shorter :D

Its a bit cooler today but I still find it hard to sleep, most nights I end up going for a walk just to cool off and get some fresh air. I do get to see some nice sunrises though :)

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
Toddy said:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of white no-seeum mesh? I've got every window open but I'm fed up with the insect population trying to take over. The 'window mesh' I bought doesn't keep the tiny buggits, like midgies and spiderlings out.

atb,
Toddy

Hi Toddy,

Try These links

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/snap_product_search.php
http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/Pennine_Fabrics.asp?sid=2

Personaly I've been enjoying the heat, but I live in a converted attic and it gets very hot, just drink lots of fluid it helps. I used to live in the tropics of australia where in the summer it stays at 25 degrees at night. You get used to it.

Hope the links help.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I enjoy the warmth of the mornings and evenings but the middle of the day and the nights are miserable.
Funny enough a Roman talked about the Picts nearly 2000 years ago; he claimed they worked wonders in the morning and the evening but in the heat of the day they lay down and shaded their heads with their feet :D

Thanks for the links but though they have mozzie net in white it's not fine enough to stop the midgies.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE