I think I may have a problem...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
... how many axes is too many. Over the years I've acquired quite a few - users, things to try out, fixer-uppers, and some oddities just for the hell of it. I suspect there are some in this group will see no problem with this number of edged tools, but others will see it as a bit of a waste to have so much good stuff sitting around not being used. Should I thin out my collection?

Smaller axes...

4a31d040fea6b4d9ec2fe131e28efd0d.jpg

Larger axes...

e2454cf33cf2d15f6361375b846eef7e.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
disgusting!

you should definetly thin out that collection.. and maybe trade a few with me.. ;)

(seriously, if you do want rid give me a shout!)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
nice collection there fella. Something to be proud of IMO
in fact there looks to be a couple at the back in the second pic that need to belong to me :D

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Most of the back row in the second pic are half dozen swedish army axes (Kino Bruks 1943/44 and a couple of Hults Bruks) I got to restore and pass on to people - some of the heads have had a hard life, but there still some miles left in them. I've restored 2 others (kept one, gave one away as a birthday pressie) - sadly not enough time spare these days to work on them.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Most of the back row in the second pic are half dozen swedish army axes (Kino Bruks 1943/44 and a couple of Hults Bruks)

Yep, that's why they need to belong to me :)

Seriously though there are some pretty decent axes there with centuries of use left between them, and if you have restored most or some of them then you've done a service to the future by keeping some quality tools in the condition they were intended

So certainly not a problem collection in my eyes mate

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I've just shown my other half those pics and she specifically didn't say that is too many axes. I am taking that as tacit consent that I should increase my collection ;)

farfoodle

Forager
May 2, 2013
Oxfordshire
Many thanks for the affirmation, chaps. I feel absolved, somewhat! 😉

Angry Pirate, take any tacit consent you can get for this sort of thing, either that or the old faithful "better to seek forgiveness than permission"

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Very nice but any tool that is not used is just an ornament

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've a few axes.... More than a few actually. I feel they're like shoes, you need specific ones for specific jobs.

Im also a fan of the old - "two is one and one is none" but if I've got numerous multiples of basically the same axe it's time to thin the herd.

Ive got the best part of half a dozen to shift myself in all honesty.

Saying that, if you've got the space, the cash and use them then keep them.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE