I need a source for thickish suede leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I need a source of good quality suede leather. Coloured suede leather. I want to make me mocassins/house shoes for wandering around at home.

The only stuff I have have managed to souce is like thin-ish pigskin, or goatskin, and neither is ideal.

I really need to get to one of the reenactor's markets, but they're a long travel for me, and I don't see me managing any time soon.

Leprevo are excellent, but they don't come cheap. Tandy's the same. I think what I really want is an upholsterers weight leather, but I don't need full skins.

Any good ideas ?

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
a1an23, thank you for finding that :)
Himself has just said that I've to stop humming around and just buy it and be done, so I have :)

Thanks Stevie, I'm just not up to trailing around the shops, and I am beyond fussy about buying leather from them these days.
I know it's a good way to acquire it, and I know there are bargains to be found, it's just me :eek:

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Living in cald driech Scotland have you thought of using something like a sheepskin rug? Should be big enough, thick enough leather and the wool will keep your tootsies cosy.
If you cant find one second hand Ikea still do them cheap.
My grand-dad used to use skins for making baffies and mitts when we were kids.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you can find a place that still does proper car upholstery leather, some of those places still do their own leather splitting. Helene and I have often picked the splits for free at our local place, as they are seen as unsaleable waste. The split has no grain surface, and depending upon the original leather that has been splits, these pieces can be large and thick or thin. The thin pieces are very much like suede, and good for general use age.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Wish I'd seen this ealier! A couple of years ago I was given a great big bundle of large pieces, half skins and quarters, of upholstery leather by one of herselfs friends who had been on a handbag making course. As its chrome not veg tan ive only used bits an bobs since I've mainly been making copies if historical stuff.

if its of any use to you i'll PM you a pic of it and you can take your pick.

ATB

Tom

Ah just noticed the important word Suede,this stuffs shiny on one side, There may b some suede mixed in, I'll check.

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
good timing.....i MAY be your Huckleberry.....you could cut and use this if i can find it.....

76122261eafeba6362953729acdaf78e.jpg

stop laughing Lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
good timing.....i MAY be your Huckleberry.....you could cut and use this if i can find it.....

76122261eafeba6362953729acdaf78e.jpg

stop laughing Lol

Oh you have to get a role in Season Four of Vikings with that picture alone Chiss.
Good picture.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry folks, this thread kind of disappeared from my list :eek: :eek:

Chis :D you're looking terribly LoTR there :D
No way am I cutting that up though; that's a cracker of a jerkin :cool:

Thank you for the links. They are much appreciated. I bought the deal from The Identity store, and for my purposes it's pretty good really. Not huge wide pieces, and some rather odd shapes, but for three part moccasins, it'll do very well. I want to felt liners for these so will try to mind and take photos and do a write up.
I have also been offered offcuts by another member and I'm hopeful that that will give me enough to do some beaded vamp ones too.
That's a tempting offer from Tandy though, isn't it ?

atb,
M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
the offer was there Mary , i need to loose a bit of timber before i can wear it again lol.
cant wait to see your finished product

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE