I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thank you Gibbo

It might sound strange, but I really struggle with not jumping in and taking over when they have a problem.

Its sorting out the problems that teaches them most, but waiting for them to work out, what is to me, often blatantly obvious....

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Curled up in my hammock in the garden again last night under that huge moon.

I wish it had occurred to me earlier that I didnt really need the tarp on dry nights - unless under a tree.

Thank you Gibbo

It might sound strange, but I really struggle with not jumping in and taking over when they have a problem.

Its sorting out the problems that teaches them most, but waiting for them to work out, what is to me, often blatantly obvious....

I have this a lot with so called chinese "engineers" that we have over here. I try not to intervene for the most part up to the point where it becomes dangerous or parts will be damaged. Lack a basic hand tool skills is incredible, also a regular question I get is " which way do I tighten the bolt up?", righty tighty, lefty loosey is my normal reply.

Gibbo.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Lol

The last one to ask me which way to turn the wheel nut on his bike has been involved in canoe building at mine.

He phoned and asked as I was trying to reverse a car with a boat on a trailer off a bridge on which I had just met an articulated truck....

I was er...a little sharp with him.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Ive been really put out with my hammock for the last week.

I decided to go sleep in the garden as the wife was visiting.

I dont like using my tree ropes on the steel clips I bolted to the walls out there as it seems to damage them.

I unthreaded them from the ends of the hammock and replaced them with a length of marine cord with a couple of stainless boat clips, so I could clip the ropes onto the hammock, or clip it to some odd lengths I tied in the garden with loops on.

The clips could easily hold twice my weight.

Er....

That was where I went wrong.

The loading on a hammock stretched reasonably tight is a lot more than twice the weight of its occupant.

One of the clips straightened out and dumped me head first in a load of wet moss that had slid off the roof.

I wandered back in the house muttering.

My little one helpfully told me that I should use toilet paper when I do that and not my head.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Some woman in Tescos asked my kid what he had been up to during the day. He told her. She decided he was lying. It really upset him.

Stupid woman.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
He told her that he had slept in the garden in the sail boat he built until it started raining at 3 something am -hes not too good with time.

She told him that it hadnt rained all night and small kids dont build sailing boats. I told her it had rained as I got damp in my hammock too and that he had built a sail boat. She didnt believe me either.

He said when he woke up again on the floor in the lounge and finished eating a steak pie and porrige while watching Icarly, we had all woken up, so we put 3 canoes, one that he built, one that big brother built and one that his step brother and his mothers boyfriend built onto his sailing boat trailer, oh and another one on the roof that dad got from somewhere last week...

She was making it plain she didnt believe him again.

So he told her we drove into town and got the step brother and mothers boyfriend and drove to this beach and they all went canoeing while dad - me, used his hobo stove to make hot chicken soup and hot chocolate on the trailer, then went hammocking, while they all went out to play.

She didnt believe that either.

So he told her that they all spent some time getting out in deep water and tipping them over trying to get back in as its not easy.

She was nodding with that Im looking at a deranged moron look.

Then he told her that we took the Step brother and the boyfriend home so they could get an allen key so they could pull their canoe in half to put it in the lift as they live in a 7th floor flat.

She started laughing and said that he had a fantastic imagination.

I told her he wasnt lying, she scoffed at us both.

He got really upset so we left.

As I said.

Stupid woman.

I wonder what she thought we had been doing all day.

Last edited:

Darkside

Forager
Nov 2, 2009
Aldershot, UK
Her kids probably don't do anything other than sit in their room on the PlayBox or X-station and she is happy to let them as it means no effort for her, apart from when she tidies their room for them. No wonder she was sceptical!

Your boy is probably one of the few that is having a childhood that us olduns enjoyed. Tell him that her not believing him says more about her lifestyle and attitude to life than any thing else.

As you say

Stupid woman.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Darkside

Told him what you said.

He said he thinks its sad that she never got to find out you could do all this stuff.

Sort of ended up feeling sorry for the Stupid Woman. lol

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Every now and then I end up going through a down side.

I actualy well, almost stop doing anything and pretty much stop taking pics.

This is why Ive been sort of missing for a while.

Will probably be down for another week or so, then I should be back!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Friend Robbi

Me and mine are sort of what we think of as normal lol

Hope everythign in your world is going ok too.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Strange times.

Seems like the car isnt actually supposed to change direction each time you accellerate or brake. Violently.

Took it in.

Seems like it should have had a new cam belt 40,000 miles ago too.

Er...he seemed to think the car should have had 4 and a half pints of oil, not 1 and a half...

It needed a set of filters too.

He also wanted to know if the bomb thing on the floor in the front was likeley to explode. Seems he hadnt heard of hobo stoves before.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Worked out I was going to be carless, so I went online and rented one for the day.

By the time it was time to pick me up, they had run out of the size I ordered, and I ended up with a VW fox.

Thought all foxes had an upside down steering wheel.

This one was horrible to drive too.

My feet arnt the most sensitive part of my body. This car was builot for little old ladies. I couldnt feel the pedals - even with my shoes off.

The brakes were so soft, that feeling for the pedal would lock up wheels.

The thing also kept bonging. I think it was upset because I was too big. There was this pic of a man on the dash with a line across it in red.

Decided it wanted me to get out.

The bonging just didnt stop.

bong, bong, bong....

I picked up the kids...

They were astonished as the car had shrunk from when I dropped them off and I had the radio on full blast trying to drown out the bonging.

They were sat in the back shouting "shurrup, shurrup, shurrup...." at it as it bonged.

I drove into the drive through in burger king....

I ordered tea.

The youth in the window was fixated by the noise in the car.

bong,shurrup!, bong, shurrup!, bong, shurrup!....

oh and the radio trying to shake the car apart.

I ended up parking and having to go in to get served.

That car gave me a headache.

Complained when I took it back.

Seems the noise was supposed to make me remember the seatbelt....

er...didnt work.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Went to get my car...

The mechanic was happily stinking out the workshop with his first hobo stove...

I thought he was supposed to be fixing the car.

Got my car home and was putting al the essentials back in it...

tents, rucksacks, meths, hobos, paddles, hammocks, scooters and bits of boat...

Police arrived and asked my biggest if it was his car.

Er...yes. So is your police car.

Wasnt his finest hour.

They started ranting that it wasnt taxed.

I told them it was and opened the car and gave them the disk.

Er....

Seems we wernt in April any more.

Ended up having to retax it online before we could go out to play.

You would think getting the oil changed would be enough for a month or so.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The wife managed to blow her washing machine up.

so she came over with her boyfriend and used mine.

He took his canoe apart and put the ring of allen keys he used to take out the bolts in his pocket.

As he was hot, he threw it on top of the pile of clothes the wife was washing.

looks like I need a new machine too.

Still...

I did manage to find a laminated waterproof bag big enough for one of the kids to load their rucksack in, ready for the adventure ont he canoes in the summer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE