I like Hammocks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
lol good to see you back No Idea, and see that somethings things don't change! :) Still, if it helps, you're not the only one to have plans changed like that - I was planning on going fishing today. That is until the Mrs came home yesterday with a trampoline for the little un (Ebay bargain) so guess what I ended up doing this morning? :)

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Er...

Er...
You spent the day stretching springs and getting blood blisters when they pinch and bruises when they fly off.

Then end up exhausted and with a bad back where you show them how to do it and bounce off and land on the tools from about 8ft up...

Not admitting how I know....

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Dont know if you've seen this No Idea but its a handy way to hammock when there are no trees.......

hammock.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
hi Bardster

Nope. havent seen that before.

Im astonished that it would stand up.

How far do you have to knock the two pegs into the ground to stop them pulling out?

Do the legs ever sink?

If I were tor try something like that, I would probably go for a length of timber or pole along the ridge to stop it falling over rather relying on my ability to knock in pegs.

I like the Idea though.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Er...

Er...
You spent the day stretching springs and getting blood blisters when they pinch and bruises when they fly off.

Then end up exhausted and with a bad back where you show them how to do it and bounce off and land on the tools from about 8ft up...

Not admitting how I know....

LOL not quite as bad as that, quite suprised though it was all up in about an hour an half, while the Mrs and the little un were out. Oh and that included a testing too - well if would stand up to me bouncing on it, it'll stand up to anyone else bouncing on it :)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
hi Bardster

Nope. havent seen that before.

Im astonished that it would stand up.

How far do you have to knock the two pegs into the ground to stop them pulling out?

Do the legs ever sink?

If I were tor try something like that, I would probably go for a length of timber or pole along the ridge to stop it falling over rather relying on my ability to knock in pegs.

I like the Idea though.

The pegs take the strain and are the circular ground anchors..
dscn0047.jpg

I screw these in first then attach the rope with maillons. The legs maybe sink about half an inch or so if its been wet. I weight over 16st on not had a problem so far :D

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Im not admitting I sat here wondering about how big your hammer would need to be to hammer those springs into the ground.

Do you wind them in with a hammock leg?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
LOL No the legs are too big to fit. I grab a stick about a foot long and about as thick as my thumb. When you buy them they some times come with a metal rod for winding them in. Some thing like a section of broom handle would do though. My stand legs are overbuilt, I could probably got away with half the size that they are.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Er....Eel?

I was wondering...

Have you considered putting some tent poles on to the top of the trampoline cage poles, putting a tarp over that and a camo net, so the kids can bounce even when its raining?

From time to time, they even sleep on it.

Mine has also survived for 5 or 6 years without rotting. They have broken the tent poles again, but its still up.

b-dscf4249.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Found a new campsite.

Discovered biggest had decided that his big hammock was too heavy, so he left it at home and brought a string one with him.

b-dscf4888.jpg

I was intending to stay the night.

b-dscf4889.jpg

He hadnt even packed a jacket.

Discovered I could brew while still stretched out in my hammock with my meths burner.

It sort of felt decadent. lol

b-dscf4892.jpg

Little one made himself a spear with a really long sharp point.

For some strange reason, it went blunt every time he used it. Wonder how long it will take him to work out it needs to be a lot less pointy if you are going to drive it into the ground.

b-dscf4891.jpg

Was a nice day out - even if I didnt get to stay.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Er....Eel?

I was wondering...

Have you considered putting some tent poles on to the top of the trampoline cage poles, putting a tarp over that and a camo net, so the kids can bounce even when its raining?

From time to time, they even sleep on it.

Mine has also survived for 5 or 6 years without rotting. They have broken the tent poles again, but its still up.

b-dscf4249.jpg

Now thats a cracking idea, but I foresee a couple of problems - doubt if the mrs will go for the idea (on the other hand if i tell her its a sun shade....) and more importantly, I'd be bashing my head on it on the odd occasion the little un 'forces' me to have a bounce!

do like the sleeping idea though!

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
When they first put the top on, it was like a dome tent on top.

It left a good 12 ft clear height in the middle.

They broke the poles playing football - I think. Thats why its now flat accross the top.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
origionally, they painted the blue tarp green and black.

With the netting over it, it actually dissapeared into that tree when you looked at it from the road.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
I really appreciate having kids. Gives me someone else to blame when I mess up. They also make good excuses when I want to go do something and dont want to admit it was my Idea - like playing on the trampoline. :)

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Kid was sriving me mad, being so pigging noisy when I wanted to sleep.

Took him to the leisure complex and insisted he went and watched fast and ridiculous 5.

Those trees on the entrance way have finally regrown their leaves...

Happy!

b-dscf4917.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Its so dense here that my kid struggled to find me when he returned.

b-dscf4920.jpg

Seems I managed to sleep through my phone ringing.

Thought it was really nice of them to keep the grass cut up under here.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I really appreciate having kids. Gives me someone else to blame when I mess up. They also make good excuses when I want to go do something and dont want to admit it was my Idea - like playing on the trampoline. :)

I know just what you mean there! My little un is always 'forcing' me to bounce on the trampoline :) She finds it so funny when I fall over (deliberatly of course :))

Actually, the tarp idea on the trampoline is growing on me, as it would mean the little un could use it when it is raining - downside to that is I'll get wet watching her! hmmm some more thought needed I think.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
If you leave the trampoline up with the skin on it, it pretty soon rots.

With the tarp on it, mine has survived for 5 years, so far.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
There was this row coming from the kitchen.

It was bad enough to wake me up.

Turns out my little one decided it was gokart time and was pumping up his tyres.

b-dscf4922.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE