I didn't need one, so I bought one anyway.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Originally I was looking for an enamel tea mug for when I just want a cup of tea/coffee not my usual 16oz travel mug. Then I found Falcon enamelware and saw this.

Screenshot from 2015-10-30 07:10:56.jpg

Technically it's got a cup on it so that's okay. Now I just have to sneak it past the wife or try to justify yet another pot or can for camping when I have so many anyway. Thinking about it now I think I've got more cans or pots than I do stoves:confused:

Oh well better too many than not enough I always say.:)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I looked at them awhile a go but decided I didn't need it, and had forgotten it until I saw this thread, now I'm thinking I need it again...

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Originally I was looking for an enamel tea mug for when I just want a cup of tea/coffee not my usual 16oz travel mug. Then I found Falcon enamelware and saw this.

View attachment 38273

Technically it's got a cup on it so that's okay. Now I just have to sneak it past the wife or try to justify yet another pot or can for camping when I have so many anyway. Thinking about it now I think I've got more cans or pots than I do stoves:confused:

Oh well better too many than not enough I always say.:)

how strange I have just bought one of these on Thursday for £10.99 inc.postage.

Railway steam engine drivers tea billy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53502716@N06/

I thought I was seeing things as this post flashed up. I also bought mine as an impulse buy & like you, I too was only looking for a green enamel mug....

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
haha - Steve 27752 you beat me to it!

My granddad was a railway man all his life (LMS) and I remember him carrying such an item to work each time I visited him. The cup had a slightly more rounded bottom but other wise it was identical. Not sure if it has milk and sugar in it - I'm not a fan of stewed tea after suffering it at her majesty's pleasure!

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Memories of a distant childhood and my own grandfather using one in the mid seventies on the railway, diesel units would have a heated box big enough to hold two.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I looked at them awhile a go but decided I didn't need it, and had forgotten it until I saw this thread, now I'm thinking I need it again...

Oh go on you know you'll find a use for it. :)

Looks nice!
But.... I am thinking that cup gets mighty hot, when using it as a lid. Wouldn't it?

I would imagine you're right. But knowing less than nothing about these I would assume you heat the billy up sans lid/cup.

I bet the wife loves that you always say this

Oh yeahh!!

how strange I have just bought one of these on Thursday for £10.99 inc.postage.

I thought I was seeing things as this post flashed up. I also bought mine as an impulse buy & like you, I too was only looking for a green enamel mug....

Funny how these things happen and for the exact same reason and price. I got mine from ebay.

haha - Steve 27752 you beat me to it!

My granddad was a railway man all his life (LMS) and I remember him carrying such an item to work each time I visited him. The cup had a slightly more rounded bottom but other wise it was identical. Not sure if it has milk and sugar in it - I'm not a fan of stewed tea after suffering it at her majesty's pleasure!

Seems quite a few of us have railway men in our past. My granddad worked on the docks and at the outbreak of the war he was transferred to the railways. I remember as a child dad and I would drive up to London to pick him up and I recall he had a similar one on the sideboard but his was either dark blue or dark green. Does anyone know of a site with more details on these as it seems they have some history behind them.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
[h=2]I didn't need one, so I bought one anyway.[/h]
Brilliant title, sums up my impulse bushcraft buying.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I didn't know I needed one, but now it's on it's way...

Mine arrived today well pleased with it weighing in at 375g, its getting teamed up with a trangia triangle & a genuine trangia military burner... it's a perfect fit... & for anybody that's interested It's 648g total (that's billy, burner, trangia triangle & tatonka simmer ring...)

Last edited:

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Well seems like three of us received their cans today. Mine arrived and I'm very happy with it. Nice weight and a good solid feel to it with first rate enamelling all over I did remove the bale and straighten it out a bit and put some more tension on it so it stays in the carrier holes a bit better. I like the look so much I don't think it will make it into my bush kit it will probably live on a shelf.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Well seems like three of us received their cans today. Mine arrived and I'm very happy with it. Nice weight and a good solid feel to it with first rate enamelling all over I did remove the bale and straighten it out a bit and put some more tension on it so it stays in the carrier holes a bit better. I like the look so much I don't think it will make it into my bush kit it will probably live on a shelf.

Funny that, I was thinking the same :D

There's a chance I might use it on the electric rings on the cooker at home, it's too pretty to get all sooty above an open fire out in the cuds :D

I bought it to use it, I must be going soft in my old age!

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE