I can smell Autumn in the air :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No. Actually farther down (central Florida) where the orange crops are, freezing is a serious scare as it can destroy the crops. Ironically the way they protect them is to spray water on them which freezes and then insulates them.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
If I am wrong some one will correct me on this:

Snow acts as a insulator because of the Air pockets trapped in it between the flakes, ice is a solid containing no trapped air (or very little) so would not retain the heat. It's really puzzling me how that works (possibly the first ice coating freezes the outer layer of the rind protecting the inner flesh from freezing?), and how they discovered it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ice has bubbles, especially the type formed by freezing a mist as it's sprayed on (more like a frost) But iIt puzzles me since plants don't have "body heat" to retain anyway.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Autumn is already here; fruits, fogs, leaves changing colour, birch shedding its leaves. Flocks of cranes and geese are gathering and growing in numbers. The sun is very noticeable lower on the horizon and there is chill in the air. Lowest temp. last week was +2C.
It'll be winter soon.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
And its only August.

Wasnt too long ago August was one of the hottest months of the year. It was only 4 years ago it was november before all this started.

Gonna be a long winter i expect.

Autumn is already here; fruits, fogs, leaves changing colour, birch shedding its leaves. Flocks of cranes and geese are gathering and growing in numbers. The sun is very noticeable lower on the horizon and there is chill in the air. Lowest temp. last week was +2C.
It'll be winter soon.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
its going to be a cold'en this winter i had to scrape frost of the van windscreen this morning and the leaves are going brown just seems 5 minutes since last winter

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I noticed the first hint just over a week ago, up early walking the jrt. Just that slight crisp nip n the breeze, then yesterday morning it blew in and off came the shorts and on went the jeans. That thin cold air that burns a little in the nostrils. That's autumn rolling in for sure. I love it, my favorite season, time to start getting the house read for the winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE