I can smell Autumn in the air :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
I've been working in the garden, in and out the lane under the trees, just pottering around all day. Tidying up, sorting stuff, and I just realised that I really was smelling Autumn :D
No real leaf drop yet, plants are still flowering and fruiting, but it's unmistakeable.

Anyone else aware of the change ?

atb,
M

me too Mary,

its been cold today and i did pick up the same thing,..

i reckon its not just the smell though,

the inbuilt clock has started letting us know,.

we're just animals after all (speak for yourself i hear you shout!)

another week or two and i'll be all depressed and ready for the cave,...

i've already put on two stone in preparation...:eek:

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Can't wait. My favourite months to camp out are september to November. Fewer muppets about, and you begin to truly relish the warmth of the fire.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Harvested the first set of parsnips yesterday - and today the wind smashed flat my entire corn crop

I like Autumn - but not today :(

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Our tomatoes are still green too :(

As are most of mine :(

BUT I do love the autumn :approve: and as said above the cold mornings and warm days are lovely. Then before you know it its winterboots and our kid dragging me up a hill for a snow climb :rolleyes:

Oh and the nasty biting bugs days are numbered!

Gailainne

Life Member
The temperature in the Central belt has dropped significantly over the last week, and Mary is right you can feel/sense it, there's a smell, tone of light that goes along with it. A mate at work this morning showed me a picture of a car park with snow on it, taken the day before in Strathclyde!, he also told me that another mate was thrown across the room by a close lightening strike the same day. Weather aint it wonderful!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Mmm love spring and autumn my two best seasons ,just got in with dogs sun was setting behind me and a nice big full moon in front .........

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll be packing the winter underquilt for next weeks trip I think, just knocked the thermostat up to 19 because Carol was moaning

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Mainly this evening that i noticed it considerably cooler.

It's just the long dark nights i don't like come winter.

I do love Autumn and spring the best.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a beautiful night here :D Crisp and cold and bright with that big Moon :D

Supposedly grass frosts in Lanarkshire tonight.

I agree with Tam about the long dark nights though :sigh: though it's maybe the short dreich days that are worst.

I'm camping at Comriecroft in a fortnight....I'll be taking the down mat and the extra quilt too :D

cheers,
M

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Speaking of the moon, remember that tomorrow night (31 August) is a blue moon.

Looking forward to it :)

Also Santaman, in Florida do you get much of a change in the seasons obviously you have hurricanes and wet weather but do you get much of a autumn in the way we do with the leaves falling of the trees, weather gets significantly colder etc?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Looking forward to it :)

Also Santaman, in Florida do you get much of a change in the seasons obviously you have hurricanes and wet weather but do you get much of a autumn in the way we do with the leaves falling of the trees, weather gets significantly colder etc?

Yes. The changes are pretty much the same as the Cotswolds. The difference is the length of the seasons. Whereas the joke while I was stationed over there was that Summer was only 2 or 3 weeks, in Florida reverse that for the Winter. In Winter it gets down about 12 degrees or so below freezing, just not very often. Back in the early 1990s we had 2 Ranger candidates training at Camp Rudder die from hypothermia in the Yellow River Swamp. Since then the Army has revamped the curriculum to include more check-ups in the swamp.

Also remember that I'm in Northwest Florida in the Panhandle; not down in South Florida. It doesn't really get much hotter down there but the cold season is even shorter.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE