Hunting Rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hurplegrappers

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
R.C.T. South Wales
Hiya all,

I've been thinking about taking up rabbit hunting but all the licences for guns and visits from police crap is something I could do without not to mention the money in setting up. So what would you guys suggest?

Snaring seems like the best option though I don't like the thought of the little bugger suffering. If it was a survival situation then I'd have no problem at all with doing it but I'm not in survival mode quite yet (economy watch) so would a Ferret be an option?

I look forward to hearing your views on this, many thanks.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Get yourself an air rifle, all you then need to do is approach a landowner and offer your services for free. Airgunbbs will have more information, check their forum out, but you do need permission even if snaring. You can actually still get sent to Australia for poaching, though I doubt the Government would step up to the plate with funding your air fare!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seconded on the Air rifle front, the cost of buying a decent one with scope, silencer and a few tins of pellets is probably the same as a pair of ferrets, cage, transportation box, and their upkeep and vet bills for a year.

Either way you have to broach the "permission" gauntlet.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
If you do go into shooting, join something like the BASC or NGO for the insurance. I would not even look at you to shoot on my land if you were not third party insured, too much risk.

Sam

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Snaring to my mind is a very cruel option and one as you say that is really only justifyable in a survival situation.

Ferreting is a definite option- Lots of resources online about how to go about it.

If you are going to use an air rifle you need one with a decent power rating 10-12 ft/lbs (12ft/lbs is as high as you can go legally without a firearms certificate)

In terms of cost, arguably you will get a .22 rimfire rifle for less than a comparative quality air rifle and then can hunt at longer range with more chance of a clean kill

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
In terms of cost, arguably you will get a .22 rimfire rifle for less than a comparative quality air rifle and then can hunt at longer range with more chance of a clean kill

But then there's the FAC, club membership (makes the FAC easier), cabinet, cleaning kit etc which will add a right old wedge to the cost.

I'd go with the air rifle option. For a couple of hundred quid you can be well set up with a good quality second hand 12ft lb air rifle with scope.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Would you care to expand on that at all?

Sam

Sure thing.

Unless you are standing next to your snares (which would surely adversely effect their efficacy. Unless you are a rabbit :rolleyes:) then the snare is going to leave the animal in pain for the duration until you come along to put it out of its misery.
I havent used them myself so if I'm wrong I'll stand to be corrected.

You could easily argue that this is still a better lot than anything that is mass reared for meat and I would tend to agree with you in some ways as a good life with a horrible end seems better to me than an awful, unnatural life with a fairly grim end too. However, if there are other means to get meat to live or to control pests (which ever reason you need them to be ex-bunnies) that don't invovle suffering then I can't see any reason not to use them that is justifiable other than as I said above, survival.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
By all means go down the air rifle and landowner hunting permission route but do please learn to shoot first and c/o paper targets not the "wabbits".

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Sure thing.

Unless you are standing next to your snares (which would surely adversely effect their efficacy. Unless you are a rabbit :rolleyes:) then the snare is going to leave the animal in pain for the duration until you come along to put it out of its misery.
I havent used them myself so if I'm wrong I'll stand to be corrected.

You could easily argue that this is still a better lot than anything that is mass reared for meat and I would tend to agree with you in some ways as a good life with a horrible end seems better to me than an awful, unnatural life with a fairly grim end too. However, if there are other means to get meat to live or to control pests (which ever reason you need them to be ex-bunnies) that don't invovle suffering then I can't see any reason not to use them that is justifiable other than as I said above, survival.

I'd be interested to hear Cael nu Mara's response to that.

I have never snared or shot a rabbit and I dislike unneccessary killing of animals and consider cruelty to be a deadly sin.

But I eat meat and rabbits are verminous creatures and IMHO a legitimate food source.

I'd like to know how quickly a snare would kill a rabbit and what suffering it would in fact endure. I have a feeling that Cael would know about this.

Last edited:

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
I can't seem to find a reference for it now, but I did see a clip on TV a few months back about a pest control company that had a large galvanised metal trap they installed into the ground.

It was rectangular in shape, approximately 3 foot deep and as wide, and maybe 5~6 foot long with a heavy metal hinged lid. I can't remember what they used as bait, but the rabbits were able to enter, but unable to exit. They were not harmed in the process of being captured (though they were doomed from that point onwards). The details escape me now, but I assume there is a mesh below the lid, that allows access to dispatch the captured rabbits.

It struck me as efficient, humane, and very successful. The only factor missing is the satisfaction of hunting one's prey. Let's face it; dispatching captured prey is basically a field abattoir. But if you're just in it for the food and fur, then this sort of trap sounds like your best option.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
i'm of the understanding that a 'strangle' snare will cause initial struggle but then the rabbit just sits until you come along and wring its neck

could try a 'strangle dangle' spring snare which should (if properly executed) be an almost instant dispatch of the animal as well as keep it out of the reach of foxes cats etc that may get your lunch before you do

permissions as everyone else has said

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
not much cruel about snares in my experience 9 times out of 10 when i go and check mine the rabbits are just sat there nice and quietly not struggling and most of the time not dead. as long as you're responsible about checking them snares are an incredibly efficient way of catching rabbits

hedgerow pete

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 10, 2010
smethwick , west midlands
I have recently over xmas studied the ideas of taking up ferreting again after many many years of being away from the rabbit warrens, heres the costs, all prices are rough and based alot on ebay because of the cheapness(quality??) of the products

ferret cage , home made, free timber, pay for iron works and netting. £30, cage very large, able to run 4 ferrets

ferrets, costs differ depending on where and who you talk to , cannock ferret rescue charges £50 per ferret to pay for it to be neutored and someone will say you can have one of mine for a £10 so make your own choice?

ferret locator, to be honest you would be very silly not to buy one, a new one with two collers and reciver is £160 , dont belive anyone that says they are only £30 on ebay, as they are lieing to you. a second hand one on ebay will easily reach £70 without a chase. some time a lot more

nets, depends what you want, long nets or purse nets, Purse nets are roughly £15 for 10 nets cheaply made, yes you can buy the twine and make them your selves, allow an hour per net for the first twenty and after that you should be able to knock one out in 30 mins easy, how many will you need, the dreaded question. start with twenty and miss a few rabbits, most netters that i used to run with could carry 100 on the first ever time on a warren, but what you do is after the days netting, you go around and fill every rabbit hole / burrow in slightly, so when the next time you come along all the old dead burrows are still sealed and only the new ones are open, that way you will only needs say 40 + nets

long nets these are used in the same way but we surround the warren rather than the holes, average prices are around a pound per metre, so we either get 25,50, 75 or 100 metre nets, best price i have seen for a long net is £89 for 100 metres plus extra for the poles,say a pound each unless you cut your own.

now after that lot which is to be fair, the most exspenses are a one of. lets talk running costs

food dry or wet cat food or propper ferret food £5+ a week
beddding , cage cleaning,etc etc £5 per week
vet bills , say i allow £100 per year ( just a guess but i am sure someone will pick me up on it)
what about a ferret carry box to go to the field and back , transport , your car or someone elses??

then after all that is paid for, you now have to start the hardest work , and thats finding someone that will allow a perfect stranger on to his land to catch rabbits, i dont know about you but my old fashioned way of doing that involved bottles of scotch being delivered to certian farmers to aplease them, and many a time i have HAD TO go to the pub to buy a farmers son/lad/mate/employee a beer or two or twenty

yes an air rifle is cheaper to set up and to buy , i have several , at these costs£28, £120, £250, all second hand and serviced from the gunsmith i brought them from,

now after all of that , am I anti ferret Hurplegrappers, absolutly not , I love ferrets and using them, always have done always will do , as for catching rabbits the nets i will start to make when i can spare the money from my giro and the cage will get built when i can source a decent and clean supply of pallets rather than buying a propper ferret cage

now that i have finished , if you do keep ferrets and can improve or better my prices please do as they are only a starting point , you never know there might evam be someone local that will sell you a couple of ferrets

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Illegal if I remember correctly - sorry.

im not meaning mechanical pre manufactured ones, although many of these are approved and thus legal such as fenn traps

i mean this type:

genericland-traps-1VVVV.png

are they illegal also? im not aware of any specific legislation (in england wales, i dont look beyond those shores)

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
im not meaning mechanical pre manufactured ones, although many of these are approved and thus legal such as fenn traps

i mean this type:

genericland-traps-1VVVV.png

are they illegal also? im not aware of any specific legislation (in england wales, i dont look beyond those shores)

Can't look at that without thinking of Homer and Bart watching as a rabbit is twung into the distance :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE