Hultafors Overstrike Guard Wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I already have an axe wrapped in paracord with a small section of bicycle tyre on bottom to hold it all together - that works well.

I have one with no guard at all and theres chunks missing - they definitely offer good protection.

Dont take offence but I'm not after opinions this time around. I want a leather guard for my Hultafors and just wondered if anyone could point me towards a good supplier or maker.

Thanks in advance.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
there's a youtube vid comparing leather vs paracord, I think paracord wins out, but both do help protect the axe. The leather looks tatty quickly, food for thought.

My axes are wrapped with paracord, but it has been waxed before going on to help keep it tight and stop the hitches from slipping, works really well

there's a youtube vid comparing leather vs paracord, I think paracord wins out, but both do help protect the axe. The leather looks tatty quickly, food for thought.

My axes are wrapped with paracord, but it has been waxed before going on to help keep it tight and stop the hitches from slipping, works really well
When I was reading about stick making many moons ago. The writer said he always used a pva glue/water mix on paracord and to this day whenever I use paracord in any sort of whipping I still do that. Works a treat. The water stops it drying white and the glue holds it all together.

But I still want leather for this particular axe :)

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
that's fair enough, I have to admit the leather ones look much nicer! You thought about making one? Could be a good way into leather craft if you have never tried it?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have often wondered if the leather playbones for dogs made out of leather could have another function too, some of them are quite thick and if they could be reshaped might make fairly good impact protection for various purposes.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The simple answer to that is yes; the natural ones are rawhide which is traditionally used in all sorts of 'binding' applications (even torture :)). You apply it wet and it then shrinks as a tight fit. You need to wax it well after fitting to stop it getting wet again. You can sew it on or it can also just be wrapped tight enough so that when it dries it stays fitted without sewing. It's great stuff to experiment with and considered tougher than leather on tool handles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE