How's the weather where you are ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
To cap it all, we're now officially in drought with water restrictions.

Weather-6.png

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Spent most of the afternoon in the river, throwing sticks for my friends dog, who was enjoying swimming after them. Stayed lovely and cool under the trees up to my knees in cool water, being gently sprayed by an enthusiastic dog splashing away like a looney tune.
Picnic under the trees afterwards, including ginger beer, and retro sweets.
That's how to be cool in this weather.
My water butts are now both empty.
Need rain!!!!!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Another very muggy day. Still no sign of rain. 26° this evening in the shade. 8pm.
I'm back to lugging gallons of water up the garden by hand and foot. I've used up both water butts already.
Exhausting in this heat!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have my sympathy.
My garden's on the flat, and it's hard enough lugging water around it. It's sort of three gardens because it wraps around the gable end. I do have outside taps/hoses both back and front but honestly it's more effective and quicker just filling up one of the huge trugs with the hose while I use a couple of two litre jugs to soak every plant thoroughly. By the time I've done all of it I'm not worth a shirt button. This heat just saps energy.

M

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You have my sympathy.
My garden's on the flat, and it's hard enough lugging water around it. It's sort of three gardens because it wraps around the gable end. I do have outside taps/hoses both back and front but honestly it's more effective and quicker just filling up one of the huge trugs with the hose while I use a couple of two litre jugs to soak every plant thoroughly. By the time I've done all of it I'm not worth a shirt button. This heat just saps energy.

M

It is awfull, my legs and arms realy hurt with all that effort, my fibromyalgia doesn't like it at all!!!
Been sorting water barrels for an elder lady today who is finding watering her plants hard work too.
We have started a small veg garden, and had a chap in to dig a little veg patch for her. So far it's just peas and potatoes, but hoping to put some dwarf beans and cauli and lettuce in over the weekend. I've managed to set up a couple of water barrels for her with a bit of hose to reach the little veg garden. It took all afternoon carting cans of water to half fill up one butt for her, it is connected to a down pipe, so when it rains it will be perfect, it's bad enough on the level, then I came home to water my own garden. I'm shattered! No energy to fill up my own water butt. Still, I feel I've done a good deed, as she has been a brilliant support for me when I lost my son, it's the very least I can do for her, now she's on her own too.(having lost her avid gardening husband recently)
I also dead headed all her 14 rose bushes today too! I did aquire a burdock plant she wanted dug up and discarded for my wild garden for my efforts. One woman's weed, is another's treasured plant! I was too tired to replant it when I got home, so it's sitting in the spare watering can with some water to keep it going untill I get time to sort it.

• Sad
Reactions: Toddy

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
We’ve e had it boiling hot now for so many days. Just feel like I’m constantly ferrying water around the croft to keep the animals alive. Happy complaint though as I’d rather this than the rain.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
111f (about 44c) before 09:00 just a few days ago and it's still June. We're still preheating. Tornado over Pensacola Beach last night. Beautiful out this morning.

• Wow

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Wet stuff overnight, not a lot, but looks like more to come. Hurrah!
Glad as heck, because I just didn't have the energy to water last night, as I'd spent the day at the project helping to fell a large and rotten willow, and pulling old, half buried,wire fencing out of the hedge. I was asleep by 8.30 last night!
No work today, I'm supposed to be finishing off my friends water butt system, but I'll just sit and watch the garden drink up the rain, nurse my aching fibromyalgia, and feel blessed.

• Love

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
About 9 pm last night a gentle soft rain began to fall. No wind, just a vertical steady downpour, the first in weeks. It's still warm, and the rain stopped overnight. This morning I've got the back door open and the woodland behind the cottage smells wonderful

• Love

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
We had a mini earthquake yesterday evening. 5.3 on the Richter scale. About 4 seconds of trembling & a deep growl like a dog when there's a stranger mooching around. It was felt in the whole of Western France.
Anyway, hot one today & the wind has changed direction, so it's the old oven on gas mark 3 outside.
Weather-7.png

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Back to hot and muggy,
This afternoon's promised wetness didn't happen, looks like no rain tonight either according to radar.
Ground is back to dry, but slightly less dusty.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
A little thunderstorm has flown overhead. Lasted about 20 mins from first rumble to the last. Gentle rain, just wetting the top of the soil again.
Oh for some real rain overnight that can wet more than the top few centimeters of soil, and start to refill the empty water butts.
Being in a narrow valley, often this sort of thing just passes over the top of us, and just teases.
4 miles away, and it can be deep snow, or torrential rain. We just get a lick at the lollypop!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE